TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Poll: Do your power folding mirrors work properly?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ben.krasnow, Feb 24, 2017.

?

Do your power folding mirrors work properly?

1. Yes, no problems at all.

77.8%
  2. No, I gave up and just leave them extended all of the time.

9.0%
  3. I had them repaired, and now they work properly

9.3%
  4. I had them repaired, and they are still not reliable.

3.9%
  1. ben.krasnow

ben.krasnow Member

My P100D occasionally fails to fully extend the driver's side mirror. I brought it in for service, and they replaced the mirror. It worked for a month, but now occasionally fails to extend. I'll probably just leave them extended, as it seems to be a fully defective feature, which is disappointing. How is your car?

2. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Mine are good about 95% of the time for moving in/out with the button on the door.

The setting via the screen though is terrible, they mostly don't auto fold or auto extend when they are supposed to. Weird.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  3. spiderbro

spiderbro Member

There's a thread on this in the Interior/Exterior subforum I believe. Had the same issue on my 12/16 delivery. Called the SC and they said it was a known software issue to be fixed in an update soon. I was doubtful but it seems to have been fixed for me somewhere in the 2.5* firmware range.

4. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

Missing option: "I did have a problem with the mirror not extending, but it went away on its own." No idea if the firmware update was responsible, but I extend and retract the mirrors several times daily and the problem hasn't returned in the last 2 months.

Previous threads on this subject here and here.

• Helpful x 1
  5. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

No issues whatsoever here.

6. No2DinosaurFuel

No2DinosaurFuel Active Member

I have not brought it in for repairs yet but yes the driver side mirrors fails to extend almost every time I start my car. I just just press the close button amd then again and that fix works every time. But yet tesla should really fix it. I think it has to do with the gears or something. When it is not fully extended, I can move the mirrors back and forth. Until it is fully extended that it locks in place.

• Like x 1
  7. croman

croman Active Member

In Chicago, no issues with late December delivery of a S60D. Once mirrors and whole car were iced over but that was to be expected. Lots of nooks to clean before I tried it. I still heard some ice that I couldn't get but the motor barely powered it through on two attempts. Otherwise flawless so far.

• Informative x 1
  8. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

Mine used to have problems where it didn't extend completely and it was making a squeaky noise. I took it to a service center about a week ago and they said the folding mirrors had a firmware bug where it didn't extend all the way and the latest firmware fixed it as well they lubricated it.

9. dragoljub

dragoljub Member

My drivers side mirror has this issue since day 1. New S90D 2017. I have an appointment for mirror replacement. It seems like there is too much slop or the mirror lateral gearing while at the same time is too tight to fully extend.

10. NeoDog

NeoDog Member

Having this issue since day 1, 2016/12/19.

I have had problems as recently as a couple of days ago. I work around it by tapping the folding button twice in succession. If I time it right, it just starts to fold in, as it cancels that action and starts folding out again, this time fully. That certainly supports the idea it's a firmware issue.

For a time I thought a firmware update had fixed the issue, but then it came back.

11. NeoDog

NeoDog Member

Missing an option: "No, and I continue to work around it by re-extending the mirrors myself".

In my case I work around it by pressing the fold/extend button twice in succession.

• Like x 1
  12. Drekar

Drekar Member

I did have a problem, which now seems to be fixed. They told me it is a software issue. I was recently updated to 17.7.2 and now the mirrors are fully extending.

13. DarkMatter

DarkMatter Member

This poll really highlights how in any enthusiast forum you'll end up thinking every single car has problems when actually most of them work right. Tesla still needs to fix this and still needs to be better about this. It's also working for most of us here despite all the folks having trouble.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  14. ben.krasnow

ben.krasnow Member

#14 ben.krasnow, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    Yes, exactly. I created the poll because I wanted to see the real data. I really enjoy my car, but surprisingly, reading this forum often makes me feel worse about owning it! The reason is that many threads are problem-related, and then everyone piles on the comments, and it sounds like all of these cars are terrible. Oh well, just something to keep in mind when browsing the threads.

Also, I sprayed some silicone lubricant into the pivot area between the mirror and support bracket. So far, so good. I'll post a follow-up if this makes a big difference.

-Ben

15. Pezpunk

Pezpunk Member

mine work perfectly, but i've only had the car for 5 months. not sure how useful my data point is.

16. Maximilien

Maximilien Member

Other than the squeaky noise, it seems fine for mine.

17. Skysurfer

Skysurfer Member

I disable auto fold for the midwest winters as ice tends to build up easily and causes them to stick, otherwise they always fold and unfold without issue or making odd noises even when manually folding them on below freezing but otherwise clear days.

Hopefully the lubricant solves the issue permanently. Otherwise, I would keep pressing on the service center until there is a resolution.

18. whitex

whitex Active Member

Missing option "mirrors work just fine on 2015 MS, but came broken on 2017 MS (at delivery), replaced a month later, then broke again less than a month after".

Bottom line, the old new mirror assembly worked great, the new design SUCKS!

• Like x 1
  19. dragoljub

dragoljub Member

I also noticed the old mirror design does not have that unsightly phillips screw on top of the chrome stalk. It does not show when the mirrors are extended but seems like the perfect place for water to pool and potential rust to form.

20. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Member

I think there's two issues: 1 was a firmware bug that has, apparently, been solved. But the other seemed to be that the mirror sometimes legitimately gets stuck/gunked up. During the recent rain here I noticed the problem suddenly went away. But then as soon as the rain went away, the mirror would seem to get stuck only partway out again.

I just sprayed the edge with lubricant and that seemed to have fixed the issue entirely(for now, anyway).