Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Do your power folding mirrors work properly?

Do your power folding mirrors work properly?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My P100D occasionally fails to fully extend the driver's side mirror. I brought it in for service, and they replaced the mirror. It worked for a month, but now occasionally fails to extend. I'll probably just leave them extended, as it seems to be a fully defective feature, which is disappointing. How is your car?

There's a thread on this in the Interior/Exterior subforum I believe. Had the same issue on my 12/16 delivery. Called the SC and they said it was a known software issue to be fixed in an update soon. I was doubtful but it seems to have been fixed for me somewhere in the 2.5* firmware range.

Missing option: "I did have a problem with the mirror not extending, but it went away on its own." No idea if the firmware update was responsible, but I extend and retract the mirrors several times daily and the problem hasn't returned in the last 2 months.

Previous threads on this subject here and here.

• Helpful
Reactions: ben.krasnow
I have not brought it in for repairs yet but yes the driver side mirrors fails to extend almost every time I start my car. I just just press the close button amd then again and that fix works every time. But yet tesla should really fix it. I think it has to do with the gears or something. When it is not fully extended, I can move the mirrors back and forth. Until it is fully extended that it locks in place.

Reactions: Gur814
In Chicago, no issues with late December delivery of a S60D. Once mirrors and whole car were iced over but that was to be expected. Lots of nooks to clean before I tried it. I still heard some ice that I couldn't get but the motor barely powered it through on two attempts. Otherwise flawless so far.

• Informative
Reactions: Missile Toad
My P100D occasionally fails to fully extend the driver's side mirror. I brought it in for service, and they replaced the mirror. It worked for a month, but now occasionally fails to extend. I'll probably just leave them extended, as it seems to be a fully defective feature, which is disappointing. How is your car?

Mine used to have problems where it didn't extend completely and it was making a squeaky noise. I took it to a service center about a week ago and they said the folding mirrors had a firmware bug where it didn't extend all the way and the latest firmware fixed it as well they lubricated it.

Having this issue since day 1, 2016/12/19.

I have had problems as recently as a couple of days ago. I work around it by tapping the folding button twice in succession. If I time it right, it just starts to fold in, as it cancels that action and starts folding out again, this time fully. That certainly supports the idea it's a firmware issue.

For a time I thought a firmware update had fixed the issue, but then it came back.

This poll really highlights how in any enthusiast forum you'll end up thinking every single car has problems when actually most of them work right. Tesla still needs to fix this and still needs to be better about this. It's also working for most of us here despite all the folks having trouble.

Yes, exactly. I created the poll because I wanted to see the real data. I really enjoy my car, but surprisingly, reading this forum often makes me feel worse about owning it! The reason is that many threads are problem-related, and then everyone piles on the comments, and it sounds like all of these cars are terrible. Oh well, just something to keep in mind when browsing the threads.

Also, I sprayed some silicone lubricant into the pivot area between the mirror and support bracket. So far, so good. I'll post a follow-up if this makes a big difference.

-Ben

Last edited:
I disable auto fold for the midwest winters as ice tends to build up easily and causes them to stick, otherwise they always fold and unfold without issue or making odd noises even when manually folding them on below freezing but otherwise clear days.

Hopefully the lubricant solves the issue permanently. Otherwise, I would keep pressing on the service center until there is a resolution.

I think there's two issues: 1 was a firmware bug that has, apparently, been solved. But the other seemed to be that the mirror sometimes legitimately gets stuck/gunked up. During the recent rain here I noticed the problem suddenly went away. But then as soon as the rain went away, the mirror would seem to get stuck only partway out again.

I just sprayed the edge with lubricant and that seemed to have fixed the issue entirely(for now, anyway).