Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Do your power folding mirrors work properly?

Do your power folding mirrors work properly?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think there's two issues: 1 was a firmware bug that has, apparently, been solved. But the other seemed to be that the mirror sometimes legitimately gets stuck/gunked up. During the recent rain here I noticed the problem suddenly went away. But then as soon as the rain went away, the mirror would seem to get stuck only partway out again.

I just sprayed the edge with lubricant and that seemed to have fixed the issue entirely(for now, anyway).
I have been driving a Model S since 2013. Neither my 2013 nor the 2015 had problems unfolding mirrors - EVER!. 2017 with new mirror design on the other hand has had mirror problems since delivery (more than just unfolding). Replacing the mirror solved it for less than one month, need new mirror again.There is no new functionality in the mirror, so why f*** with a working design? Maybe these are cost reduced Model 3 mirrors and Model S buyers are just a guinea pigs. I like Tesla and give them benefit of doubt, but this is getting to be ridiculous. They had a falling out with Mobile Eye so premature release of completely non-functional AP2 is annoying but understandable (my 2017 car still doesn't have auto-wipers, emergency braking - so less functional safety features than my old AP1 car). With the mirrors, what, they pissed off their mirror supplier too? I convinced my wife to get a Tesla telling her that Model S is a mature product. It seems Tesla is proving me wrong.

Never had any problems on late 2014 P85D until the driver mirror had to be replaced a couple of months ago. Worked correctly about half the time and didn't go out all the way the other half. Problem appears to be poor mechanical design of the new mirrors. However, one solution they were looking at was to increase the pushback current threshold in firmware. E.G., when it's folding out the motor stops pushing if the current goes over a certain bit indicating an obstruction like ice (or poorly designed mirror mechanicals). Other solution is to clean and lube the mirror frequently. They really need to fix the mechanical design though.

My mirror was stuck again last night, on 17.7.2. We weren't told which build included the reported firmware fix, so it's hard to know whether the issue is still software or mechanical. I suppose I'll have to contact services again.

I can still work around it by double-pressing the folding button, so the mirror isn't truly stuck.

I applied a generous amount of silicone spray lubricant to the pivot area, and have not had a problem since. There is a felt pad on the underside of the moving section that presumably prevents rattling noise, but also increases friction in the mechanism. The silicone soaks into the felt and allows smoother movement. For a few dollars/minutes, it's a pretty easy fix (if it lasts!).

After some firmware update (early Feb?), it seems that the mirror extends when the car door is opened *and* when the car is shifted into reverse or drive. If it fails the first time, maybe it will work the second time -- especially since the car will then be "on" and the 12V charger circuit will be active, providing a higher 12V system voltage. I find it very hard to believe that the car's firmware has control of mirror motor torque, current limit, applied voltage, etc. It can only try again.

silicone for mirror.jpg

I considered doing that - but feared that the lube might degrade the waterproofing substance that the mirror pivots on. seems I get into the service center way too often, so next time I'll just ask what they use, just to be safe. Now when the mirror pivots, does it streak on the Chrome?

We took delivery in Dec 16 and almost immediately noticed the mirrors were not working properly. My wife called the service center and they said it was a known problem and it was caused by a software issue. We were skeptical but soon the mirrors were working fine and have been since.

According to a service rep I exchanged e-mail with, the Firmware for the mirror was issued specifically with 17.4.12. My car has 17.7.2.

I think the service rep was confused because they said that just because it was in 17.4.12 does not mean that it was part of the later release 17.7.2, and my car never got 17.4.2 specifically. I think there is no way that it's true; in order to reach all the cars, they would have included the firmware in 17.4.12 and later. Maybe they can remove it from updates in the future, once all the cars have gotten it, but tracking that is not likely worth the effort for such a small part of each release, and there is no way it has already happened. Easiest way is to remove it from updates once all cars are on 17.4.12 or later.

In any case, the service center said that my car has the appropriate firmware for the mirror, so I'll be taking it in to have it mechanically fixed. Rather than attempting a fix myself, I want Tesla to do it, so that they can learn from the error and apply the lessons they've already learned to my car. They will want to figure out how to fix it once and for all. I don't expect silicone spray on its own is a lasting solution, it tends to wear out in other applications.

my longstanding intermittent problem with the mirrors sometimes not folding out so far has not reoccurred since my service appointment, now 2 weeks ago.

I say "so far" since the problem was intermittent anyhow, sometimes weeks going by before reoccurring. But so far so good

At my service appointment they told me the fix was in a firmware update which they loaded on my car - v8.0 (17.6.15). - I was on 2.52.22 prior to the service. Initially that's all they were going to do, saying if the problem reoccurs they'd then replace the mirror(s). After my insistence that there must be something binding or causing it to stick (at all times of year, not temp dependent) and talking to the tech, they brought my car back into the shop to open up the mirror and take a look - they said they lubricated the mechanism, but that's all they could do according to service procedures, unless after trying the new firmware the problem still occurs.

So fingers crossed it won't happen again, otherwise I'm going back for them to replace the mirrors

My month old 100D had this issue for the first time yesterday. Drivers mirror only extended part way. I had to push the mirror out by hand, but it still didn't go as far as I wanted and the mirror controls would not work. I folded and unfolded once and same issue. Second time folding and unfolding and they were back to normal. Guess I'll see what happens over time.