Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Does smart summon work?

Is smart summon useful?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This poll certainly mirrors my thoughts. I just subscribed to FSD and tested out Smart Summon in a mildly empty parking lot. I tried it 4 times from four places. Each time after a few seconds I would get an error telling me there was something wrong with Tesla Vision (I ordered in May 2021, so draw your own conclusions). Each time that happened, I just re-pressed and held the button and there were no issues, except it is S-L-O-W.

My car was blocking my parent's car in my driveway first thing this morning, so I figured I'd use SS to get the car out of the drive-way---it took too long to "warm up," so I abandoned the effort.

I have EAP, and have used smart summon on and of for last couple of years.. the concept is cool, but the execution is not yet there.. Even in an empty parking lot, it's pretty slow and very hesitant most of the time. Steering jerks left and right for no apparent reason, and the traveled path is not always optimal.. I would NOT use this in a crowded parking lot for fear of it hitting something or simply stopping in the middle of the road..

Regular summon for backing our of garage works ok, but not always consistent.. sometimes it looses connection, or gets really close to the side.. Cool party trick, but not something I use everyday..

Hoping it will get better with updates..

Reactions: GlockWorkOrnge
Interesting that a company can continue selling a feature that 90%+ of the customers thing is useless and CEO characterizes as
Why not? I remember when AP came out, most of the other systems had lane keeping that was pretty worthless (just ping pong between lanes) but people still buy cars with it. Same thing with early implementations of auto park. Not every feature in a car is that useful.

Interesting that a company can continue selling a feature that 90%+ of the customers thing is useless and CEO characterizes as

Yeah, Smart Summon in and of itself is not something that anyone should be charging people money for (IMO). I’d throw auto-park in that category as well.

But in fairness, it’s a part of a larger set of semi-related features, and some of them (auto lane change, NOA and basic summon) are pretty good. Auto-lane change specifically is absolutely clutch and I miss it. If Tesla offered basic summon and auto lane change by themselves at a reasonable price I’d buy them immediately.

Can smart summon be scheduled? For example, could it be setup to open the garage door and back itself out onto the driveway by 7:30 AM every workday? I've never used it, but the videos I've seen make it look like I could walk to work faster than it can move the vehicle 30 feet.

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    1.6 MB · Views: 64
does Smart summon work and how useful it is is today?
It's a parlor trick, like the "emissions testing" prank. For the vast majority of owners, you use it to show off for a friend. It has no practical purpose, unless it's a torrential downpour and you're standing under an overhang (but it probably doesn't work in heavy rain).
It's easier to walk to the car.

Reactions: ahoen117
I've used it a bit, mostly in mostly empty parking lots. I've not had a "bad" experience with it (ex. it wanting to run into curbs, posts, etc.) but it is slow and can be unsure of its actions sometimes. I'd never attempt it in a crowed parking lot, just because people aren't patient enough to deal with that.

I do use it at work semi regularly as I'm one of the last to leave and it works well in the parking lot here. Would it be just as fast to walk to it? Yes. But it makes me happy to see the car drive itself to pick me up 😂

Last edited:
what happened to "self park" feature of smart summon? Or is that only included with "robo taxi"?

That would be a very compelling feature.

What I GUESS is one of the major obstacles is that it would require car to drive itself without oversight from the owner. That would make the manufacturer liable: 1) owner cannot be liable as they do not have control over the car, 2) likely owners insurance company would not be willing to take liability and can base that view to the requirement for a specified driver in the contract (typically a household member or guest). While Tesla might claim that it is not liable, they would be sued and likely found to be the liable party due to 1 and 2 above.