Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Does your Model S have the "High pitched Whine" under heavy acceleration?

Does your Model S have the "high pitched whine" under heavy acceleration?

• Yes

Votes: 99 70.7%
  • No

Votes: 38 27.1%
  • Other: Please Explain

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, but are you simply making Lemonade out of Lemons? I bet if you had the option to get rid of it you would though. Am I right?

No, I actually love it as it reminds me of the Millennium Falcon :) I hope my X has it as well.

Realize that this noise is not that loud and you need to listen for it from the drivers seat. And I usually have the stereo up when pressing the throttle to 92% ;)

No, I actually love it as it reminds me of the Millennium Falcon :) I hope my X has it as well.

Realize that this noise is not that loud and you need to listen for it from the drivers seat. And I usually have the stereo up when pressing the throttle to 92% ;)
That's the thing... I'm only going off the recording and have not heard it in person. If the radio is on at normal listening levels would you say that would cover up the sound? Also, does it ONLY happen when you stomp on it? It sounds like it happens to some folks simply from accelerating onto the freeway.

None here--delivered Tuesday. Of course I'm only have 130 miles--and I think others have noted about the 1000+ mark.

If it's the inverter they will replace it.

Define 'high pitched'?

Last edited:
She has made that air out of the balloon sound under heavy acceleration since the day she was born. It doesn't bother me at all and has been reported by owners since the first Sigs rolled off the line. I thought it was normal. So why is this an issue now?

That's the thing... I'm only going off the recording and have not heard it in person. If the radio is on at normal listening levels would you say that would cover up the sound? Also, does it ONLY happen when you stomp on it? It sounds like it happens to some folks simply from accelerating onto the freeway.

Yes and Yes. Although like I mentioned in the other thread I have started to see it occasionally at power levels as low as 80kW. It is not the big deal that you are making it out to be. Maybe I'll make a video for you tomorrow with the stereo/HVAC on and try to record the noise.

you can still hear it clearly when music is at normal sound. its only drown out by the stereo if its above 8-9

Mine is covered up with volume 3 balanced across all speakers and playing rock music (like Kings of Leon) and heavy acceleration >120kWh. Hope that narrows it down.

Yes. Mine started at 500 miles and continues today at 4,500. In my case, it is louder and more pronounced. I don't at all mind the slight normal whine of the motor but the baloon squeal under heavy load is most annoying. I am hoping for a fix. It is not normal. I trust the engineering team will develop a solution.