Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Does your Model Y make this humming sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm glad that it's quieter since adding coolant.

A few questions:
1. How did you determine if you were low on the coolant?
2. Is this something that needs to be done at the Tesla SC?
3. Is the humming noise notably quieter and how frequent / when do you notice it coming on?

If replacing the pump fixes the humming in other other Y's, i'm assuming that the coolant has to be replaced or filled as well as part of that process.
Sorry, I did not see this until just now.

1. I saw blue liquid on the floor of the garage, and I got the low coolant warning. This was the morning after driving directly from delivery to my house. The strange thing is the service center did not find any leaks, so it may have been that they just didn't fill the reservoir correctly at the factory and the coolant was sitting on the aero cover. The service center didn't do anything except top off the coolant and I haven't had any puddles since.

2. You could easily top off the coolant yourself by taking off the cover behind the trunk (2x 10mm bolts and 1x plastic clip) to access the coolant reservoir. I chose not to do this because the owners manual says not to service the coolant yourself because you could introduce contaminants into the system. I did buy a gallon of the proper coolant (Valvoline Zerex G48 from Oreilly's) in case I get into a bind and need to do it myself. Since I didn't need to drive the Y right away, I just let the service center top it off so I didn't have any warranty issues from servicing myself.

3. Before the humming noise was noticeable whenever the screen turned on, like when plugging in the charger or opening a door, and would continue for 30 minutes or so. Now as soon as the screen is off, the car is silent again.

Sorry, I did not see this until just now.

1. I saw blue liquid on the floor of the garage, and I got the low coolant warning. This was the morning after driving directly from delivery to my house. The strange thing is the service center did not find any leaks, so it may have been that they just didn't fill the reservoir correctly at the factory and the coolant was sitting on the aero cover. The service center didn't do anything except top off the coolant and I haven't had any puddles since.

2. You could easily top off the coolant yourself by taking off the cover behind the trunk (2x 10mm bolts and 1x plastic clip) to access the coolant reservoir. I chose not to do this because the owners manual says not to service the coolant yourself because you could introduce contaminants into the system. I did buy a gallon of the proper coolant (Valvoline Zerex G48 from Oreilly's) in case I get into a bind and need to do it myself. Since I didn't need to drive the Y right away, I just let the service center top it off so I didn't have any warranty issues from servicing myself.

3. Before the humming noise was noticeable whenever the screen turned on, like when plugging in the charger or opening a door, and would continue for 30 minutes or so. Now as soon as the screen is off, the car is silent again.

Thank you for your reply and provided info. You wrote that "as soon as the screen is off, the car is silent again." Does that mean that the noise is still there when you are driving?

Here I am with some (bad) news. Not from me, but from one of the people that signed the petition on modelyissue.com. She had the same exact problem we all are discussing here, and after a lot of fights with her service center (as we all had!), she could have her service center replacing her car water pumps.

Unfortunately, she wrote me this morning that despite the replacement of the pumps, the problem is still there. And still, the technicians have no idea what's causing it. This is very, very disappointing, and shameful. To her extreme disappointment, she told her service center that she wouldn't take her car back unless it was fixed, no matter what. Tesla service acknowledged the problem and her decision, and so opened a new engineering ticket on the issue with the hope of sorting something out.

This is what I am afraid of going through in a few days. If my own pumps replacement is not going to fix the issue as well, what am I going to do? I'd probably go through the same route, asking for a resolution of some kind. But will that take us anywhere??!!

I am sorry for the bad news, but I am eager to know your thoughts on all this.
Oh no. Worst news. Fingers crossed this will not be for you and the others. The ever present noise is not acceptable!

Reactions: fablau
If you own a Model Y, please, check the following and post your answer below:

1. Make sure your car A/C is off.

2. Close all doors and let your car cool for 5 minutes.

3. Open the door: Do you hear a humming sound coming from the front-right side of the frunk that never stops? Can you also hear it from inside, sounding like a continuous humming sound similar to an airplane or a faraway lawnmower?

If so, please, post below your Model Y year and purchase date. We are trying to understand how many cars are affected by this problem, which may be caused by defective water pumps of the cooling system (octovalve system) or other related components as explained on this thread. You can also look at this video where I explain the problem:

It looks like newer Model Ys are affected by this problem, whereas older models are completely quiet.

If we get enough people reporting this issue, we can potentially open a case with Tesla and have the problem fixed for everybody.

Thanks in advance to everyone!
I have the same problem with my model 3 from June 2021.

UPDATE:

Today I picked up my Model Y with the pumps replaced, and despite the noise being almost gone, it is still there. Much better though, and it is in a "tolerable" range. I couldn't get upset this time. The technician who took care of my problem since June knows this problem very well and could not do anything more to help, but yet, he was very kind to explain that the reality is Tesla has no idea what is causing this problem. They could keep replacing the pumps with the hope the noise will disappear, but there is no guarantee. I spoke to him for almost one hour today, asking him if there isn't really anything else they can do to fix the problem, and he said not as far as he knows. This is the topmost level this issue can be brought up to which is the replacement of the pumps after opening an engineering ticket.

I am really getting tired of fighting for this, and I am thinking of either accepting the problem or ordering a new Model Y and reselling this one.

At this point, I am afraid the petition I started on modelyissue.com is going to bring us anywhere either. I'll keep collecting signatures and, when 100 is reached, I'll submit it, but I have not much hope in it.

I'll keep following and leading this story as much as I can, eager to learn from other people's experiences.

Thank you again for following and contributing.

PS: By the way, the part they replaced are two pumps #1133851-00-G as you can see from the shot below:

View attachment 723692

UPDATE:

Today I picked up my Model Y with the pumps replaced, and despite the noise being almost gone, it is still there. Much better though, and it is in a "tolerable" range. I couldn't get upset this time. The technician who took care of my problem since June knows this problem very well and could not do anything more to help, but yet, he was very kind to explain that the reality is Tesla has no idea what is causing this problem. They could keep replacing the pumps with the hope the noise will disappear, but there is no guarantee. I spoke to him for almost one hour today, asking him if there isn't really anything else they can do to fix the problem, and he said not as far as he knows. This is the topmost level this issue can be brought up to which is the replacement of the pumps after opening an engineering ticket.

I am really getting tired of fighting for this, and I am thinking of either accepting the problem or ordering a new Model Y and reselling this one.

At this point, I am afraid the petition I started on modelyissue.com is going to bring us anywhere either. I'll keep collecting signatures and, when 100 is reached, I'll submit it, but I have not much hope in it.

I'll keep following and leading this story as much as I can, eager to learn from other people's experiences.

Thank you again for following and contributing.

PS: By the way, the part they replaced are two pumps #1133851-00-G as you can see from the shot below:

View attachment 723692
So with the pump replacement, is the humming sound now only audible when HVAC is off and car is parked?

My MYP does have a faint hum coming from the same general area you've described, but for the first month of ownership I never noted it (I think I noticed it a little bit while I'm outside the car in the garage, but it was never bothersome and I just assumed it was normal). A couple of weeks ago I was in the car waiting for my son's activity and noticed this hum when I turned off the HVAC because I had looked at this thread briefly. I proceeded to read through all of this thread and still wasn't sure if the hum mine has is the same issue you guys are having. The hum mine has is not audible over HVAC, music, or tire noise while driving with HVAC off. So I guess if the current noise level in your car is not audible over any of the other sound during normal driving, I would consider it fine. Of course, everyone has different tolerance level, so you would have to decide.

Reactions: fablau
So with the pump replacement, is the humming sound now only audible when HVAC is off and car is parked?

My MYP does have a faint hum coming from the same general area you've described, but for the first month of ownership I never noted it (I think I noticed it a little bit while I'm outside the car in the garage, but it was never bothersome and I just assumed it was normal). A couple of weeks ago I was in the car waiting for my son's activity and noticed this hum when I turned off the HVAC because I had looked at this thread briefly. I proceeded to read through all of this thread and still wasn't sure if the hum mine has is the same issue you guys are having. The hum mine has is not audible over HVAC, music, or tire noise while driving with HVAC off. So I guess if the current noise level in your car is not audible over any of the other sound during normal driving, I would consider it fine. Of course, everyone has different tolerance level, so you would have to decide.

Yes, that's exactly how it is now: when the A/C is on, I can't hear the noise. That's the huge difference from before where I could still hear it with the A/C on. And you are right, now I am a little bit fixated with this noise, and so I think about it all the time. That's why I have decided to give it a try for a couple of weeks and pretend there's nothing there to see exactly how much bothers me. That'll be hard, but I'll try.

There is an objective fact though: I know that Teslas can be completely quiet, or at least, almost completely. I have a 2019 Model 3 which makes no sounds from the inside (from outside, you can barely hear a little buzzing). And my old 2016 Model S was the same: super quiet. I also drove for 4 months a Model X in 2018, and that was completely quiet as well. I have also tested 3 older Model Ys that were quiet like my Model 3. So... I know that it can be even quieter! But at this point, it is just a matter of "tolerance", and I must say, much better now than before, at least, it is "tolerable" ;)

I'll report later with a video and some measurements! See you later...

Ok, here it is:

The app I have used to measure the noise is "Decibel X."

As you can see and hear, the situation has improved a lot. From 45-50db now I get around 31db. Of course, still noisier than my Model 3 (27dB) but not that much according to the app, even though, this app is NOT a professional meter and it has probably a minimum that cannot be lowered further. I think the Model 3 is probably much quieter in dB from what the app is showing. Fact is, even though the new pumps' noise is very low and can be heard just when you stop and the A/C is off, it is still there and may still bother me because I know that could be completely quiet. But I can probably live with it. I'll try to drive it for a couple of weeks and see how bad it is going to be.

On September 18, I posted a message where I reported that I had removed the shrouds, and also removed the frunk liner to try to find what was making the noise. I have a mechanics stethascope and touched it to all the parts I could get to and found that the noise and vibration was all coming from one part, the SUPER MANIFOLD part number 1547595-96-0. I suggest that anyone who has this intolerable noise try to do the same. You can use a very long screw driver and touch it to various parts while putting your ear up against the handle. It works much better than guessing or trying to feel the offending part.

I was ready to go back to the SC, but somehow at about 1600 miles the hum has gone away almost completely, so it looks like we will be keeping the car after all. I wish I could tell you why the noise has disappeared, but I don't know. Good luck to all that still have it.
John

On September 18, I posted a message where I reported that I had removed the shrouds, and also removed the frunk liner to try to find what was making the noise. I have a mechanics stethascope and touched it to all the parts I could get to and found that the noise and vibration was all coming from one part, the SUPER MANIFOLD part number 1547595-96-0. I suggest that anyone who has this intolerable noise try to do the same. You can use a very long screw driver and touch it to various parts while putting your ear up against the handle. It works much better than guessing or trying to feel the offending part.

I was ready to go back to the SC, but somehow at about 1600 miles the hum has gone away almost completely, so it looks like we will be keeping the car after all. I wish I could tell you why the noise has disappeared, but I don't know. Good luck to all that still have it.
John

Your post comes with perfect timing. Today a guy in the group I created on Telegram where we are discussing this issue, told us that his service center replaced the whole supermanifold (the same exact part number you mentioned) and the noise disappeared.

Interestingly enough, I have tested myself several times the vibration in my car, and it seemed to come exactly from the top water pump, not form the manifold itself. But I could have been deceived, of course. In any case, the replacement of the whole super-manifold seems to have done the trick at 100% for that guy.

And again today, I got another great news from one of the people that have signed my petition. This lady had her Model 3 having this issue, and after pushing her service center to replace her car's water pumps, the problem was still there (she had a worse result than what I had after my car's water pumps replacement). Fact is, she requested to open a new engineering ticket for that, and today the head of the team told her the following:

"The engineering team is aware of the problem and a software update is scheduled to come out soon to address the problem and avoid the pumps running all the time"

This is amazing news, and I really hope it is true. No time frame has been given, but it sounds almost too good to be true!

Your thoughts on this?

Last edited:
A software update that prevents the pumps from running all the time is only going to be helpful when the pumps aren’t needed. When it needs to run, it would still be loud, wouldn’t it?

Did the guy from Telegram explain how his SC arrived at the conclusion to replace the super manifold? If that’s truly the cause of the noise, then this would be helpful information for anyone who has the problem.

@fablau are you going to reach out to your tech and try again?

A software update that prevents the pumps from running all the time is only going to be helpful when the pumps aren’t needed. When it needs to run, it would still be loud, wouldn’t it?

Did the guy from Telegram explain how his SC arrived at the conclusion to replace the super manifold? If that’s truly the cause of the noise, then this would be helpful information for anyone who has the problem.

@fablau are you going to reach out to your tech and try again?

I agree with the Software, but maybe that would happen only when the A/C is on or when the batteries need to be cooled down hardly (I am just guessing).

About the guy mentioning the supermanifold replacement, he has no idea why his service center decided to replace that, besides two sensors as well.

Here is the copy he gave me of his service report:

IMAGE 2021-10-21 21:36:02.jpg

Anyone is welcome to join us on Telegram where we chat in realtime: