Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Does your Model Y make this humming sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The A/C must be off and the car must be parked, and possible left alone for at least 1-2 hours in order to make sure you have the same issue. Then, open a dor, nd you should start hearing the noise which can be heard from inside the cabin.

Okay, thanks, I'll be sure to check for it before I take delivery. I'm actually a bit nervous my car will have it! :confused:

Reactions: fablau
I am very sensitive to the noise. I watched the videos in this post, and I don't think I will be OK. It will drive me crazy.

Couple questions:
1. I haven't received my model Y yet, but hopefully soon. How to reproduce this issue when I take the delivery before driving? Just open the door and power on?
2. Does the noise go away during driving?
3. Does replacing the part solve the problem? Anything else we can do?

Thanks

I am very sensitive to the noise. I watched the videos in this post, and I don't think I will be OK. It will drive me crazy.

Couple questions:
1. I haven't received my model Y yet, but hopefully soon. How to reproduce this issue when I take the delivery before driving? Just open the door and power on?
2. Does the noise go away during driving?
3. Does replacing the part solve the problem? Anything else we can do?

Thanks

Answers to your questions:

1. Just go inside the car, make sure the A/C is off and the car is NOT plugged in charging. Then close the doors and windows, and check for any humming noises coming from the front-right of the dashboard.

2. No, the noise is always there.

3. Yes and no. If you are lucky, you may get quiet pumps and/or components such as the whole supermanifold.

Anything else you can do? Sign the petition and learn more about all this on modelyissue.com.

After watching a few YouTube videos of people taking delivery, and after speaking to an advisor, my understanding is that customers have to accept delivery of the car before they can get inside. If that’s true, how does someone reject the car after accepting it?

After watching a few YouTube videos of people taking delivery, and after speaking to an advisor, my understanding is that customers have to accept delivery of the car before they can get inside. If that’s true, how does someone reject the car after accepting it?
I haven't taken delivery yet myself, but from what I have read on the forums here and on Youtube videos, you have to ask a Tesla employee at the delivery center to unlock it for you to check out the interior before accepting the car in the app. They usually give pushback and say you have to hit accept before getting in the car, but owners that insist on seeing the inside before accepting seem to be accommodated.

It is just not their standard practice, which is obviously not good customer service. I think they are attempting to limit the rejected deliveries for interior quality control issues by preventing you from seeing inside before accepting. If you stand firm and say you won't accept delivery without seeing inside first, they seem to relent because of course, they want you to take delivery. I am planning on using this approach when I pick mine up next year.

They took the key to our Volvo as collateral so we could inspect it before accepting. So yes they pushed back but not too hard.

However, I should have been reading this thread before. I had 1 test drive MYLR with the problem (two others did not) but didn't take it seriously at delivery. That and it wasn't on the checklists I used.

However, I should have been reading this thread before. I had 1 test drive MYLR with the problem (two others did not) but didn't take it seriously at delivery. That and it wasn't on the checklists I used.

I go to get my MY tomorrow and this noise is the potential issue I'm dreading the most. I'm not expecting a show room quality car sand I can deal with any cosmetic stuff, but this noise would be a deal breaker for me. Crossing my fingers. 🤞

I go to get my MY tomorrow and this noise is the potential issue I'm dreading the most. I'm not expecting a show room quality car sand I can deal with any cosmetic stuff, but this noise would be a deal breaker for me. Crossing my fingers. 🤞
I feel the same about the noise. Good luck to you! My gut feeling is there are more good ones than bad ones. Unfortunately it just seems so random.

When I took delivery of my car back in June, I had a "touchless" delivery system. I went into a big parking building with hundreds of Model Ys parked and ready to be picked up. I had a parking space number to look for. Nobody was there. I entered the car and there were the keys on the seat and some papers to sign. I had to sign the documents before driving the car out and return the signed papers to a few people at the exit of the parking building. If I knew and noticed the noise (unfortunately the A/C was on and I didn't notice it!), I could have easily refused to sign the papers and ask for a different car!!!

Reactions: Falcon73
When I took delivery of my car back in June, I had a "touchless" delivery system. I went into a big parking building with hundreds of Model Ys parked and ready to be picked up. I had a parking space number to look for. Nobody was there. I entered the car and there were the keys on the seat and some papers to sign. I had to sign the documents before driving the car out and return the signed papers to a few people at the exit of the parking building. If I knew and noticed the noise (unfortunately the A/C was on and I didn't notice it!), I could have easily refused to sign the papers and ask for a different car!!!

I'm guessing you accepted the delivery in the app before seeing the car then? I plan to not press that final button until I've looked it over, more importantly until I've opened the door and sat in the passenger seat so I can hopefully "hear" how silent it is! Only then will I press that final "accept delivery" button.

I'm guessing you accepted the delivery in the app before seeing the car then? I plan to not press that final button until I've looked it over, more importantly until I've opened the door and sat in the passenger seat so I can hopefully "hear" how silent it is! Only then will I press that final "accept delivery" button.

I don't recall any app acceptance actually... I just remember I had to sign the papers inside the car to accept delivery of it. But of course, make sure it is quiet before taking it! ;)

Reactions: Falcon73
Least my Aug 2021 delivery I did not have anything as bad as depicted. I know I have heard mine get louder outside the car by winter as the heater is working if I set up a conditioned departure (warms up the batteries and cabin). I’ve even installed a power frunk since then, after trying to help previously. So I had removed the inner frunk liner, popped off the larger air filtration. I was pretty impressed with the whole setup.
1639000464406.jpeg

Last edited:
Got my 2022 y on Dec 22 2021. Hums constantly. Car is off, no ac, no sentry, no dash, no summon. Humming starts as soon as I touch the door handle, or if I open the app. After I move away and the car is off, the humming can last anywhere between 10 minutes to a couple of hours.

Going to file a ticket.

Have already signed the two petitions. Hope this gets resolved soon for all

Got my 2022 y on Dec 22 2021. Hums constantly. Car is off, no ac, no sentry, no dash, no summon. Humming starts as soon as I touch the door handle, or if I open the app. After I move away and the car is off, the humming can last anywhere between 10 minutes to a couple of hours.

Going to file a ticket.

Have already signed the two petitions. Hope this gets resolved soon for all

I am very sorry for the bad Christmas gift and thank you for reporting and for filing the petition. Please, keep us posted on everything.

By the way, for anyone interested in an update about the petitions we are building on this noise issue, the first petition has been sent to Tesla on December 9th to both Tesla headquarters and the Fremont factory. We know they have received it, now we'll wait for a response. My expectations are pretty low, but we all hope for the best.

The second petition, still building on change.org, will be sent as soon as we reach 200 signatures.

A big thank you to all the supporters!

Loud humming noise, as described here, resolved after Tesla service replaced both coolant pumps!

Less than two weeks ago we picked up a new MY LR (demo with a few hundred miles) and immediately noticed the continuous loud humming noise from the frunk. I did a google search when I got home and found this this post, and the modelyissue website and petition. I began contacting folks at Tesla and got the car into service where they confirmed the coolant pumps were both louder than normal and replaced them.

I was able to advocate for the fix better having read all these posts, though was concerned that it would need a whole supermanifold based on some comments I read. Fortunately replacing the pumps seems to have solved the problem, which Tesla Service seemed quite willing to do.

While I am very aware and sensitive to annoying sounds myself, and found this noise very irritating (enough so that I would have tried to return the car), I can also attest that even my much less sound finicky family members, while not as bothered by it as much, did agree this was excessive and not acceptable. So I wanted to chime in here and say that those who‘ve posted this is not a real problem and just “normal” are not understanding how excessive this sound is, and Tesla service folks agreed it was excessive. Hopefully Tesla will resolve the problem with this part and get them replaced and corrected at the assembly line. Our car was produced October 2021. We love it and glad it is not buzzing constantly whenever in use (and for about ten minutes after engaging with the vehicle in any way). My measurements were about 48db in my quiet garage from the drivers seat, louder outside the car by the hood. it was a fairly low pitch humming, around middle C (and a bit higher) on a piano, and very audible anytime we sat in the car parked, while driving slow, at stop signs ,etc., but mostly got covered up by other road sounds at about 30MPH. I am relieved it was not a complicated fix.

Loud humming noise, as described here, resolved after Tesla service replaced both coolant pumps!

Less than two weeks ago we picked up a new MY LR (demo with a few hundred miles) and immediately noticed the continuous loud humming noise from the frunk. I did a google search when I got home and found this this post, and the modelyissue website and petition. I began contacting folks at Tesla and got the car into service where they confirmed the coolant pumps were both louder than normal and replaced them.

I was able to advocate for the fix better having read all these posts, though was concerned that it would need a whole supermanifold based on some comments I read. Fortunately replacing the pumps seems to have solved the problem, which Tesla Service seemed quite willing to do.

While I am very aware and sensitive to annoying sounds myself, and found this noise very irritating (enough so that I would have tried to return the car), I can also attest that even my much less sound finicky family members, while not as bothered by it as much, did agree this was excessive and not acceptable. So I wanted to chime in here and say that those who‘ve posted this is not a real problem and just “normal” are not understanding how excessive this sound is, and Tesla service folks agreed it was excessive. Hopefully Tesla will resolve the problem with this part and get them replaced and corrected at the assembly line. Our car was produced October 2021. We love it and glad it is not buzzing constantly whenever in use (and for about ten minutes after engaging with the vehicle in any way). My measurements were about 48db in my quiet garage from the drivers seat, louder outside the car by the hood. it was a fairly low pitch humming, around middle C (and a bit higher) on a piano, and very audible anytime we sat in the car parked, while driving slow, at stop signs ,etc., but mostly got covered up by other road sounds at about 30MPH. I am relieved it was not a complicated fix.

48 dB was loud pretty much like mine used to be before water pumps replacement. For me, the noise is still there, much reduced (28-30 dB) but still there. May I ask you what Tesla service took care of your car? In what city?

The fact is, it looks to me that the problem is affecting water pumps randomly. If you are lucky, you get quiet pumps. Otherwise, they may have different levels of noise.

Could you please share the service notes? I’d really love to show and advocate to my SC too. Thanks!

Reactions: mstatkus and fablau
I haven't taken delivery yet myself, but from what I have read on the forums here and on Youtube videos, you have to ask a Tesla employee at the delivery center to unlock it for you to check out the interior before accepting the car in the app. They usually give pushback and say you have to hit accept before getting in the car, but owners that insist on seeing the inside before accepting seem to be accommodated.

It is just not their standard practice, which is obviously not good customer service. I think they are attempting to limit the rejected deliveries for interior quality control issues by preventing you from seeing inside before accepting. If you stand firm and say you won't accept delivery without seeing inside first, they seem to relent because of course, they want you to take delivery. I am planning on using this approach when I pick mine up next year.

Wow, I can't believe people are treated so poorly when taking delivery.

I've only ever taken delivery at Santa Barbara (2 model 3s and a model Y, 1 pre pandemic, 2 during). All 3 times they let us inspect the car, inside and out, ask questions about what can go on the Due Bill, and then accept delivery and put on the due bill. SB is a kinda isolated, smaller showroom so maybe they're just not in as big of a hurry.

Beside having the same humming noise issue like everyone here...After updating the latest update V2021.40.30 on my model 3, I was trying out and turn on the Sentry Mode for the first time and noticed the same humming noise was constantly on non-stop unless turning the Sentry Mode back to off. Does anyone here also has this experience?