Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Does your Model Y make this humming sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of MYLR in mid Aug 2021. It's a constant hum when car is activated and in use. NO fan, no AC, parked for hours, no climate control, temp here has been low 70s - it doesn't matter the hum is there. The hum is gone after 30-60 minutes after being locked and parked.

That said, I took it to get supercharged and hum and noise was just unbearable. It sounded like the same noise but just louder.

I am sorry about that, and thank you for posting your testimonial! I haven't tried supercharging yet, but I'll try.

Have you contacted your nearest Tesla Service Center about it? Please, do it and insist on it. Tell them many other people are complaining about this issue.

Please, keep us posted.

Keep us posted, if you find anything out. I took delivery of my MYP on 8/15/21 and I have the EXACT same endless humming you are describing. Does not matter what the temp is, HVAC on or off, no fan...constant hum!!! It is worse & most noticeable when stopped at lights or in stop and go traffic

Have you reported the problem to your Tesla SC? Please, let us know. Thanks.

Reactions: Deutsch100
Have you reported the problem to your Tesla SC? Please, let us know. Thanks.
I have not after seeing all the pain and frustration you have and are still going through. They are going to say the noise is "normal" and within noise range. I'm just hoping eventually Tesla will have a fix for this in the not too distant future.

I know so many Tesla owners that ended up with worse problems and vehicle damage after making service appts. I just don't want to take a chance. Besides from this annoying humming noise my new MYP is flawless!!

I have not after seeing all the pain and frustration you have and are still going through. They are going to say the noise is "normal" and within noise range. I'm just hoping eventually Tesla will have a fix for this in the not too distant future.

I know so many Tesla owners that ended up with worse problems and vehicle damage after making service appts. I just don't want to take a chance. Besides from this annoying humming noise my new MYP is flawless!!

I am afraid that if there aren't enough people complaining about this issue, Tesla just won't move a finger to fix it. That's why I am doing all this fuss about it. Also, until your car is under warranty, you could get the problem fixed at no cost ;)

I am sorry about that, and thank you for posting your testimonial! I haven't tried supercharging yet, but I'll try.

Have you contacted your nearest Tesla Service Center about it? Please, do it and insist on it. Tell them many other people are complaining about this issue.

Please, keep us posted.
appointment is tomorrow. Fixing some panel gaps and having the garage door opener installed while there. i filed the issue on day 1 so not sure if that makes a difference in the options for remediation or not. Will let thread know what happens.

One other resource:
I believe you can file complaints or issues and they will track them. I'm not sure if they investigate all issues and suspect, their main focus is usually on safety components.

Yeah, I think they take care of safety issues only. It is weird to me though that Tesla doesn't have a "claims" department or other offices of some sort where customers can complain about specific issues. The only way is to go through the service center which has its limits and constraints.

I have tried to get in touch with some Tesla "quality" engineers via LinkedIn, but no avail, my messages have been completely ignored.

If we have enough people reporting having this problem, we could actually sign a petition about it... your thoughts on this?

Yeah, I think they take care of safety issues only. It is weird to me though that Tesla doesn't have a "claims" department or other offices of some sort where customers can complain about specific issues. The only way is to go through the service center which has its limits and constraints.

I have tried to get in touch with some Tesla "quality" engineers via LinkedIn, but no avail, my messages have been completely ignored.

If we have enough people reporting having this problem, we could actually sign a petition about it... your thoughts on this?
I'm not sure how many people are affected and if you could find a way to reach that many people for a petition. But nothing ventured, nothing gained. I did try for the missing lumbar controls through the BBB because I placed my deposit early in the year while there were controls but held of on delivery for a few months. Tesla's response was waiting is the same as placing the order later and therefore not eligible. Not sure if I agree but I tried. Sometimes the BBB has gone to bat for me if they don't agree. I'll see what the BBB says about it. You could also post on twitter. I noticed that one frequent poster received a response directly from Elon Musk and had his issues fixed. Anything is worth trying if it gets you the results you need.

Good points and good suggestions. I'll try everything you have suggested, step-by-step ;)

I am sorry for your story about the lumbar controls, I heard other people complaining about that.

About this noise issue, it appears to me that all Model Y and Model 3 cars produced in the past 3-4 months are affected by this. I got comments from other people having this issue on my video posted on YouTube:

As well as from people who have contacted me via the website I setup:

Also, the Now You Know YT channel is probably going to include a short version of my video next week in their weekly show "Tesla Time News" watched by over 250k subscribers:

We'll see how all this will sort out. Thanks again!

So today 9/9/21 I stopped by our local Tesla Center. Luckily they were not their usual crazy busy and I was able to flag a Tech over. He was shockingly friendly and gracious. He got in my car and we turned the music off. HVAC on, and the humming/buzzing/fan/pump noise is quite noticeable in the car, but oddly very hard to hear on the outside (Exterior of the car is almost perfect EV quiet).

Turning HVAC off, the odd/unwanted noise gets quieter, but does not go away. He said it is the heat pump and battery mgmt. "system" and the car sounds normal and like all current Model Y.

He then kindly grabbed another Tech for a listen, and immediately he said NORMAL and Sorry! He did say I am not the first one to complain or at least bring up the sound, but there is nothing they can do and "it is what it is". He did say Model 3, X and S are much, much quieter.

They both said I can create a Service ticket, but it is a waste of my time (and theirs). Since everything else is basically perfect on my new MYP, I will just have to live with the sound. Inside our Taycan EV...silence, but even Tesla said the Taycan is in a different league.

• Informative
Reactions: Falcon73 and fablau
So today 9/9/21 I stopped by our local Tesla Center. Luckily they were not their usual crazy busy and I was able to flag a Tech over. He was shockingly friendly and gracious. He got in my car and we turned the music off. HVAC on, and the humming/buzzing/fan/pump noise is quite noticeable in the car, but oddly very hard to hear on the outside (Exterior of the car is almost perfect EV quiet).

Turning HVAC off, the odd/unwanted noise gets quieter, but does not go away. He said it is the heat pump and battery mgmt. "system" and the car sounds normal and like all current Model Y.

He then kindly grabbed another Tech for a listen, and immediately he said NORMAL and Sorry! He did say I am not the first one to complain or at least bring up the sound, but there is nothing they can do and "it is what it is". He did say Model 3, X and S are much, much quieter.

They both said I can create a Service ticket, but it is a waste of my time (and theirs). Since everything else is basically perfect on my new MYP, I will just have to live with the sound. Inside our Taycan EV...silence, but even Tesla said the Taycan is in a different league.
Thank you for reporting this, and I am sorry to hear that, again, they keep saying that "it is normal." Of course, appears to me that on the newest models that's probably a "regular thing", but it shouldn't!! And it is NOT the heat-pump. It is the water-coolant pumps.

I'd have personally filed an engineering ticket anyway, just to push again with Tesla. The more people open tickets about this issue, the more easily they realize it is bothering people so much that maybe they'll take action against it.

But from your description, it looks to me, that they have probably realized this issue is bothering people, but in the end, they don't care because it is not hurting people, and it is not compromising safety, etc... so they have decided to keep making cars like that, which is quite disappointing, and sad. In my opinion, a big mistake.

And what do we all plan to do when the next generation of Model Ys will be back to be super quiet again just because they changed their water-pumps suppliers and such again? I guess we'll still accept the situation and we'll keep our noisy cars that we'll have a harder time reselling later on because of this damn noise...

Thanks again for your report.

Thank you for reporting this, and I am sorry to hear that, again, they keep saying that "it is normal." Of course, appears to me that on the newest models that's probably a "regular thing", but it shouldn't!! And it is NOT the heat-pump. It is the water-coolant pumps.

I'd have personally filed an engineering ticket anyway, just to push again with Tesla. The more people open tickets about this issue, the more easily they realize it is bothering people so much that maybe they'll take action against it.

But from your description, it looks to me, that they have probably realized this issue is bothering people, but in the end, they don't care because it is not hurting people, and it is not compromising safety, etc... so they have decided to keep making cars like that, which is quite disappointing, and sad. In my opinion, a big mistake.

And what do we all plan to do when the next generation of Model Ys will be back to be super quiet again just because they changed their water-pumps suppliers and such again? I guess we'll still accept the situation and we'll keep our noisy cars that we'll have a harder time reselling later on because of this damn noise...

Thanks again for your report.
:( :(

UPDATE:

I plan to make a petition about this issue to submit to Tesla and other organizations. I am getting 1-2 contacts a day about this issue on my website modelyissue.com, so, please, if you have this problem, visit my website below:

And submit your name to the list! I'll make sure to keep you posted about it.

A lot of people from around the world are having this issue which seems to be really massive!

Thank you for your support! :)

UPDATE:

I plan to make a petition about this issue to submit to Tesla and other organizations. I am getting 1-2 contacts a day about this issue on my website modelyissue.com, so, please, if you have this problem, visit my website below:

And submit your name to the list! I'll make sure to keep you posted about it.

A lot of people from around the world are having this issue which seems to be really massive!

Thank you for your support! :)
I submitted my name to the list. The noise is driving me NUTS and ruining the new ownership experience!!!! It is non-stop and SO loud, with or without A/C!

Reactions: fablau
I submitted my name to the list. The noise is driving me NUTS and ruining the new ownership experience!!!! It is non-stop and SO loud, with or without A/C!

Thank you and I agree! I have two Teslas: the noisy Model Y and a 2019 Model 3. I end up always driving the Model 3 just because doesn't have that damn noise!

I plan to also open a petition on change.org. I'll keep you posted about that as well. ;)

If you own a Model Y, please, check the following and post your answer below:

1. Make sure your car A/C is off.

2. Close all doors and let your car cool for 5 minutes.

3. Open the door: Do you hear a humming sound coming from the front-right side of the frunk that never stops? Can you also hear it from inside, sounding like a continuous humming sound similar to an airplane or a faraway lawnmower?

If so, please, post below your Model Y year and purchase date. We are trying to understand how many cars are affected by this problem, which may be caused by defective water pumps of the cooling system (octovalve system) or other related components as explained on this thread. You can also look at this video where I explain the problem:

It looks like newer Model Ys are affected by this problem, whereas older models are completely quiet.

If we get enough people reporting this issue, we can potentially open a case with Tesla and have the problem fixed for everybody.

Thanks in advance to everyone!
Yes, mine does that as well. I thought it was the battery cooling system engaging. It happens whenever I get back from a drive or whenever I open a door, as in your video.

I also noticed that “bang” noise when you opened your door. Mine does that as well. What is that noise??

Yes, mine does that as well. I thought it was the battery cooling system engaging. It happens whenever I get back from a drive or whenever I open a door, as in your video.

I also noticed that “bang” noise when you opened your door. Mine does that as well. What is that noise??
My ONLY hope is that if more of us complain to Tesla, they will have to fix or replace our coolant/water pumps that belong to the overly complicated Octovalve heat pump that is responsible for this noise. It is honestly louder than my last V8 Range Rover and our Land Rover Defender!!!!! :( It is taking away all the enjoyment of my brand new MY Performance. I feel like I do not have an EV!

• Informative
Reactions: Falcon73