Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Does your Model Y make this humming sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received my MYLR last Thursday and have only driven it once because I'm installing PPF myself. The car is in my garage with climate turned off and it's plugged into the charger but does not charge till midnight. Sentry mode is turned off in my garage. Every time I step into the garage I hear a fairly loud humming from the trunk area. I have not pop open the top cover where the wiper fluid filler cap is located but the sound seems to come from that area and it runs non stop all the time. I have the car charged to 285 miles and by the end of the day it will have dropped to 269 miles. I'm not checking in on the car with my phone since it's in my garage. I'm not sure but it appears that whatever is causing the sound is using up my battery fairly quickly at a 5% loss everyday. Is this normal behavior for the MYLR?

Does it really never stop making noise? Not even if you leave the car alone, closed, after 30-60 minutes? If so, that shouldn't happen.

As for the noise itself, can you hear it loudly from inside the cabin? If so, that may be the same issue I am describing at the start of this discussion thread.

I have an April 2021 build and mine makes noises (humming) for hours while it's parked. Been like that from day one and also seem to lose approximately 1 mile/hr (w/ sentry mode off).

Is that a continuous humming noise that runs even when A/C is off and that can be heard loudly from inside the cabin?

Make sure of the following:

1. The A/C is off
2. The car has been parked and not driven for at least 12 hours.
3. The temperature around it is not too cold to too hot.
4. The humming noise starts as soon as you open a door, or access the Tesla app, or even as soon as you plug or unplug the power cable
5. The humming noise is consistent and never stops until all doors are closed and the car stays parked for at least 15-30 minutes.

If all of the above apply, always and consistently, you may have the same issue we are discussing here. And that's NOT normal!! If so, I'd suggest contacting your service and report the issue as we all have done. If they tell you that that's normal, ask them to compare your car with a previous Model Y (6-12 months older) to hear the difference, at which point, they cannot deny that something is wrong with it.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Falcon73
Does it really never stop making noise? Not even if you leave the car alone, closed, after 30-60 minutes? If so, that shouldn't happen.

As for the noise itself, can you hear it loudly from inside the cabin? If so, that may be the same issue I am describing at the start of this discussion thread.
Every time I'm in the garage I hear the sound. I think there are times when I first step in the garage that it has a much quieter humming sound but at some point it becomes a louder humming sound. It's definitely louder and more active when I open the frunk or door. I can hear it both inside when I sit in the car and outside the car.

• Informative
Every time I'm in the garage I hear the sound. I think there are times when I first step in the garage that it has a much quieter humming sound but at some point it becomes a louder humming sound. It's definitely louder and more active when I open the frunk or door. I can hear it both inside when I sit in the car and outside the car.

The sound you are describing seems to be like the one I have, but mine is not always on unless I open a door or do something with the car. I'd definitively ask the service about it.

Reactions: gleearch
Have you tried performing a soft reset? (Pressing and holding the left and right scroll wheel buttons on the steering wheel for ~10 to 15 seconds will perform a soft reset.)
This actually solved my problem. I tried a soft reset but it didn't do anything. I still had the same problem and the 16 mile range loss everyday. Then when I tried to view my owner's manual a few days later there was no content and it froze my screen, so I did another reset. I didn't have time to wait for it to reset and I wasn't using the car. The next day I noticed that the screens were opening and closing on their own and I could not do anything with them. So I reset for the third time. The screen was stable and I took it for a 80 mile drive. When I returned and the car went to sleep, no loud humming noise. When I checked on the car later, no loud humming noise. Just a quieter background noise. When I opened the door the quieter hum was there but the louder humming noise was not present until I put the car in gear but when I got out, the loud hum stopped. I noticed that I was now only losing about 4-5 miles per day when the car was in sleep mode all day instead of the 16 previously. Not sure if the issue is fixed permanently but will report back if this issue comes back again.

• Informative
Reactions: Falcon73 and jcanoe
This actually solved my problem. I tried a soft reset but it didn't do anything. I still had the same problem and the 16 mile range loss everyday. Then when I tried to view my owner's manual a few days later there was no content and it froze my screen, so I did another reset. I didn't have time to wait for it to reset and I wasn't using the car. The next day I noticed that the screens were opening and closing on their own and I could not do anything with them. So I reset for the third time. The screen was stable and I took it for a 80 mile drive. When I returned and the car went to sleep, no loud humming noise. When I checked on the car later, no loud humming noise. Just a quieter background noise. When I opened the door the quieter hum was there but the louder humming noise was not present until I put the car in gear but when I got out, the loud hum stopped. I noticed that I was now only losing about 4-5 miles per day when the car was in sleep mode all day instead of the 16 previously. Not sure if the issue is fixed permanently but will report back if this issue comes back again.

Good to know that, but at this point, I don't see your car having the same issue I am eperiencing. Any chances to take a video of the humming sounds from inside the car? That'd help to understand what level of noise you are experiencing. Thanks.

Reactions: gleearch
UPDATE:

The technician came today and measured the level of sound in dBs. He connected a laptop to the car and made the pumps run at max speed. The noise was terribly loud. He took measurements outside, near the pumps in the frunk, and inside. Then he said that Tesla will get in touch with me after they will review the measurements.

At this point, I can just wait and hope they'll make the right decision to replace the defective components. I'll give an update as soon as I hear something from Tesla.

UPDATE:

Ok, my technician from Tesla called and gave me the bad news: the Telsa engineering team that took care of my open ticket said that according to the taken measurements everything is in the normal range and therefore there's nothing wrong with my car.

Bummer. I spent 30 minutes talking with him trying to understand how they could say that, but he couldn't help any further. I also requested the data showing proof of their claim, and he said that that's not possible to provide (bummer again!)

I am quite, quite disappointed. My only option at this point is to hope that more people are going to complain about this issue, but I see, so far, I am one of the few ones.

Another idea I have is to monitor all Model Ys around me or the ones available for a test drive at Tesla (new ones only though) that don't have this problem, then contact my technician again asking him to check if the newer Model Ys have anything different in their system that would prevent this noise to happen. In case, I am willing to pay to have those pumps or anything is causing this damn noise to be replaced!

If you have more ideas, please, let me know. Thank you.

• Informative
I just received my MYLR last Thursday and have only driven it once because I'm installing PPF myself. The car is in my garage with climate turned off and it's plugged into the charger but does not charge till midnight. Sentry mode is turned off in my garage. Every time I step into the garage I hear a fairly loud humming from the trunk area. I have not pop open the top cover where the wiper fluid filler cap is located but the sound seems to come from that area and it runs non stop all the time. I have the car charged to 285 miles and by the end of the day it will have dropped to 269 miles. I'm not checking in on the car with my phone since it's in my garage. I'm not sure but it appears that whatever is causing the sound is using up my battery fairly quickly at a 5% loss everyday. Is this normal behavior for the MYLR?

I had sentry mode turned off/ excluded when at home but have noted in my later post that by restarting the car three times, I have eliminated the issue of the louder humming noise and the power drain.

That's interesting... what do you mean by "restarting the car three times"? Do you mean to "reset" the system by pushing the steering wheel buttons or something else? Please, let us know.

Thanks!

That's interesting... what do you mean by "restarting the car three times"? Do you mean to "reset" the system by pushing the steering wheel buttons or something else? Please, let us know.

Thanks!
Yes, if you read my other post, that's how I managed to reduce the power drain and the loud humming noise. I pushed the two buttons on the steering wheel. Restarted 3 times but spread over three days because I was not driving the car at that time. The power drain and loud hum have not returned and I have been driving the car now on a daily basis.

Reactions: fablau
Yes, if you read my other post, that's how I managed to reduce the power drain and the loud humming noise. I pushed the two buttons on the steering wheel. Restarted 3 times but spread over three days because I was not driving the car at that time. The power drain and loud hum have not returned and I have been driving the car now on a daily basis.

That's fantastic! Ok, I'll try that then and see if that works for me. I'll restart the system by pushing the two buttons one day, and then another time the day after, and another time the day after that. And I'll report. Thanks!

Ok, I reset it once today and nothing changed. I also performed a "Full Vehicle Soft Reboot" as explained here:

But made no difference. The noise didn't even stop during the reset nor the reboot. Not even when the car was "turned off." It was constantly running. I'll try to reset it again in the coming days, and I'll report.

In the meantime, I created a website where anyone interested can learn more about this issue:

Also, I posted a new, more in-depth video about this problem. Thoughts welcome!

Ok, I reset it once today and nothing changed. I also performed a "Full Vehicle Soft Reboot" as explained here:

But made no difference. The noise didn't even stop during the reset nor the reboot. Not even when the car was "turned off." It was constantly running. I'll try to reset it again in the coming days, and I'll report.

In the meantime, I created a website where anyone interested can learn more about this issue:

Also, I posted a new, more in-depth video about this problem. Thoughts welcome!
I hope it works out for you but it's starting to sound like it's something mechanical that the reboot might not fix.