Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Does your Model Y make this humming sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery yesterday of a Model Y, and I'm experiencing the same exact issue. Does not seem normal.
SO sorry you too. Tesla is telling us it is "normal" but other Teslas do not have it. Honestly....it is louder than being inside our G63 AMG or Land Rover Defender. If Tesla used some rinky dink or homemade part to get around the part and chip shortage and delivered our Model Ys with this horrible noise.....disgusting!

Mine has the new hepa biodefense mode, build and delivery 8/21 AND still had the horrible, ever present noise. The noise in this guy's video is so normal and quiet....I would have killed to have my pump(s) so quiet!!!

Thank you Adam for clarifying this, I was beginning to think that the ones with the HEPA filter weren't affected by the noise issue... but it's not the case then! I am wondering what's the matter then? It looks to me that some have this problem and others don't have it in a random fashion??! I'd love to find a pattern there...

Reactions: Deutsch100
SO sorry you too. Tesla is telling us it is "normal" but other Teslas do not have it. Honestly....it is louder than being inside our G63 AMG or Land Rover Defender. If Tesla used some rinky dink or homemade part to get around the part and chip shortage and delivered our Model Ys with this horrible noise.....disgusting!

Yes, that's my suspicion... cheaper or low-quality parts due to the current global supply shortages ;) Disgusting indeed! Quality first! Mostly for a $60k car!

If you own a Model Y, please, check the following and post your answer below:

1. Make sure your car A/C is off.

2. Close all doors and let your car cool for 5 minutes.

3. Open the door: Do you hear a humming sound coming from the front-right side of the frunk that never stops? Can you also hear it from inside, sounding like a continuous humming sound similar to an airplane or a faraway lawnmower?

If so, please, post below your Model Y year and purchase date. We are trying to understand how many cars are affected by this problem, which may be caused by defective water pumps of the cooling system (octovalve system) or other related components as explained on this thread. You can also look at this video where I explain the problem:

It looks like newer Model Ys are affected by this problem, whereas older models are completely quiet.

If we get enough people reporting this issue, we can potentially open a case with Tesla and have the problem fixed for everybody.

Thanks in advance to everyone!
We just picked up our new 2021 Model Y yesterday Wednesday September 22nd, 2021. Today I have noticed a very quiet hum and I think it's the fan just keeping the battery cool because after maybe an hour or so, the noise stopped.

Reactions: fablau
Took mine in to service today (just took delivery Monday). They wouldn’t even look at it, said it is normal. None of my friends have this noise, so not sure what normal means. I don’t think I will be able to keep the car if I can’t get this resolved, it is really distracting.
I am so sorry :( I took delivery of my new MY Performance on 8/15 and I sold it on 9/22. Shortest I have ever had a new car. I cannot believe Tesla would deliver cars with such obviously defective water/coolant pumps. Mine was so loud, even music or conversation in the car would be affected by the noise. I wanted a Tesla for so long and waited almost 2 months for my MYP...and it was a complete and utter disaster. Tesla telling me the sound is normal, like is happening to you and others....they lost me as a customer. I am disgusted with Tesla. And you cannot call them. Total joke. Honestly once VW, Audi, BMW, Toyota, Lexus get their EVs rolling out, Tesla will have to change or they will be done :(

Reactions: K-Fresh
We just picked up our new 2021 Model Y yesterday Wednesday September 22nd, 2021. Today I have noticed a very quiet hum and I think it's the fan just keeping the battery cool because after maybe an hour or so, the noise stopped.

From your description, it looks like you don't have the same issue. Can you hear the humming noise from inside the cabin which makes a sound like a faraway lawn mower? Can you hear it even when the A/C is on? If the answer is not both questions, you don't have this problem.

Took mine in to service today (just took delivery Monday). They wouldn’t even look at it, said it is normal. None of my friends have this noise, so not sure what normal means. I don’t think I will be able to keep the car if I can’t get this resolved, it is really distracting.

It's very sad to know you had the same experience. Their complete dismissal is very disappointing. I bet your friends have older cars. Am I correct?

Last edited:
One thing interesting they did say was that the diagnostic check only showed the fan running for five minutes. It never stops so huge disconnect there also.

There we go. I also had contradicting responses from them, and their arguments didn't stand up. Fact is, they keep saying that it is normal because the pumps actually do their job of pumping the liquid in the cooling system correctly. In my case, they didn't even want to hear the word "defective." I kept using the word "defective component" or "defective pump".... and they kept saying "you say it is defective, but there is nothing defective".... and so on... like a broken record. They measure just the thermal response of the system and don't care about the noise. That's it.

I'd probably echo what others (car makers) have dealt with aux water pumps. I wouldn't discount anything from impeller, mount, speed, acoustics or something (wire, tube, etc) coming in contact with it (the unit) creating the noise.
Googling around, I could only find a aux water pump for a Model S on amazon, but I did find one on eBay for $115 for a 2020 3/Y (example). Obviously I'd try to find a tech that can get you to the desired resolution vs. 'they all make that noise'. To which I'd get a db read out of the volume to compare with. Even with ambient cars/planes in my garage I'm 37.5 frunk and 31.9 passenger seat off the free NIOSH Sound level Meter. And my office is 28.1 with zero computer fans. Just ticking clocks

I've many time been a victim of a new car, and failed parts (leaky sunroof, rattles, water pump failures, relays, missing skid plates) so I can sympathize and hope you can make some headway getting it troubleshot. For anyone that straight up sold the car, least you had demand on your side vs. the absolute bath you would have taken otherwise selling a new car. I would be reluctant to throw the baby out with the bathwater but I can't even ignore the fact I probably could make $8K just from offloading mine right now.

Last edited:
I'm waiting on my second tesla delivery and my DC has refused to let me pick it up from them. Why do you think they'd let you test drive it before signing/paying? Why wouldn't you have those same rights in a home delivery?

I'm grateful for this thread, though - will look out for this during my delivery Friday - will try to drive before I accept delivery/hand them the cashier's check.

Good luck with your delivery. I hope you have good news to report!

I'd probably echo what others (car makers) have dealt with aux water pumps. I wouldn't discount anything from impeller, mount, speed, acoustics or something (wire, tube, etc) coming in contact with it (the unit) creating the noise.
Googling around, I could only find a aux water pump for a Model S on amazon, but I did find one on eBay for $115 for a 2020 3/Y (example). Obviously I'd try to find a tech that can get you to the desired resolution vs. 'they all make that noise'. To which I'd get a db read out of the volume to compare with. Even with ambient cars/planes in my garage I'm 37.5 frunk and 31.9 passenger seat off the free NIOSH Sound level Meter. And my office is 28.1 with zero computer fans. Just ticking clocks

I've many time been a victim of a new car, and failed parts (leaky sunroof, rattles, water pump failures, relays, missing skid plates) so I can sympathize and hope you can make some headway getting it troubleshot. For anyone that straight up sold the car, least you had demand on your side vs. the absolute bath you would have taken otherwise selling a new car. I would be reluctant to throw the baby out with the bathwater but I can't even ignore the fact I probably could make $8K just from offloading mine right now.

Thank you for your thoughtful post. Actually, I am not sure 100% the problem is caused by the water pumps themselves. It could easily be the pumps bearing to the octovalve system. Or anything else attached right there. But for sure it is not a dangling cable or something like that since the noise is caused by a strong vibration transmitted through the whole chassis (and that's why you can clearly hear it from inside the cabin). I have tried to put my hands right there, squeezing the pumps with my hands, but made no difference despite I felt the vibration through my arm. I spent quite some time to understand if there was anything that could be done to dampen the vibration, but no luck. The vibration is transmitted through the whole front structure and there's no way to mask it if not replacing the actual part or component causing it.

I could probably buy directly replacement pumps from Tesla if I wanted to, but will I get the same pumps? Will the problem disappear? And of course, I don't want to do the job myself, for sure while the car is still in warranty.

The fact I am pushing so much to let people know about it is because I love Tesla and I hate when I hear people attacking it or complaining about issues that have no real value (at least for me), such as gaps in the body, comfort, etc. when the whole Tesla experience is so far ahead of any other car. But this noise can really scare people away (and has already scared someone), and, unfortunately, I don't blame them at all! They are right, it is 100% unacceptable. And that really hurts me. But I can tell you if I wasn't a super Tesla fan and a long-time Tesla driver, I would have probably refused to keep it just for that damn noise.

Last edited:
  • Love