Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Does your Model Y make this humming sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@fablau totally agree, I wouldn't want to be doing full tear downs even if I was installing a power frunk or something. Definitely want to take advantage of warranty work. It would probably help greatly to isolate where it's coming from so they can sort out. I easily have a 1:20min drive if I needed to deal with this myself. I think I was more trying to call out that a $115 part can absolutely ruin the honeymoon, but hopefully you can get it on someones radar. If they refused to even try thats definitely another matter.

I even had a squeak in my drivers seat but thankfully someone mentioned to move the seat all the way forward and back and it went away so I lucked out.

@fablau totally agree, I wouldn't want to be doing full tear downs even if I was installing a power frunk or something. Definitely want to take advantage of warranty work. It would probably help greatly to isolate where it's coming from so they can sort out. I easily have a 1:20min drive if I needed to deal with this myself. I think I was more trying to call out that a $115 part can absolutely ruin the honeymoon, but hopefully you can get it on someones radar. If they refused to even try thats definitely another matter.

I even had a squeak in my drivers seat but thankfully someone mentioned to move the seat all the way forward and back and it went away so I lucked out.

Thank you @mstatkus. I keep all options opens, even the possibility to replace them myself in the future if needed! I like to tinker with things ;)

I wish I could solve this problem as you did with your driver's seat! :D

• Funny
Reactions: Deutsch100
I'd probably echo what others (car makers) have dealt with aux water pumps. I wouldn't discount anything from impeller, mount, speed, acoustics or something (wire, tube, etc) coming in contact with it (the unit) creating the noise.
Googling around, I could only find a aux water pump for a Model S on amazon, but I did find one on eBay for $115 for a 2020 3/Y (example). Obviously I'd try to find a tech that can get you to the desired resolution vs. 'they all make that noise'. To which I'd get a db read out of the volume to compare with. Even with ambient cars/planes in my garage I'm 37.5 frunk and 31.9 passenger seat off the free NIOSH Sound level Meter. And my office is 28.1 with zero computer fans. Just ticking clocks

I've many time been a victim of a new car, and failed parts (leaky sunroof, rattles, water pump failures, relays, missing skid plates) so I can sympathize and hope you can make some headway getting it troubleshot. For anyone that straight up sold the car, least you had demand on your side vs. the absolute bath you would have taken otherwise selling a new car. I would be reluctant to throw the baby out with the bathwater but I can't even ignore the fact I probably could make $8K just from offloading mine right now.
Yup...the crazy car market allowed me to sell a 2021 MYP that I drove for a little over a month and get ALL my money back. I mean every cent. We have traded in dozens of new-ish cars before and there is always a little (or sometimes a lot) of upside down. This is the 3rd time in 25 years that I have sold a car and not lost a penny! Totally insane!!! If Tesla had a reputation for great customer service and good service centers...I would have kept it. I just lost all faith!!

Last edited:
Yup...the crazy car market allowed me to sell a 2021 MYP that I drove for a little over a month and get ALL my money back. I mean every cent. We have traded in dozen of new-ish cars before and there is always a little (or sometimes a lot) of upside down. This is the 3rd time in 25 years that I have sold a car and not lost a penny! Totally insane!!! If Tesla had a reputation for great customer service and good service centers...I would have kept it. I just lost all faith!!

That's awesome Adam... I didn't know you can sell a leased car without losing money. Good to know!

And of course, I am sorry you lost faith in Tesla, but I perfectly understand. They really let you down with this damn noise issue. And who knows how many more people have let them down! I receive reports daily from people all over the world about this issue. Hopefully, the problem will mature enough to catch Tesla's attention so they will do something about it. My hope is that they'll release one of their service bulletins telling their service centers to replace the offending component to all customers complaining about it ;)

Just took delivery and no humming noise, thankfully. I spent about an hour with the car parked sorting things, putting the screen protector on, etc. and it was quiet. AC was on most of the time, AC was off for about 10 mins while installing screen protector.

Will keep my eyes out and ears open.

Hope everyone suffering from this issue gets a quick fix! Raising the issue through Tesla clubs is a brilliant idea - there's power in numbers.

Just took delivery and no humming noise, thankfully. I spent about an hour with the car parked sorting things, putting the screen protector on, etc. and it was quiet. AC was on most of the time, AC was off for about 10 mins while installing screen protector.

Hope everyone suffering from this issue gets a quick fix! Raising the issue through Tesla clubs is a brilliant idea - there's power in numbers.
Great news! There’s hope for the rest of us. I still have a few months before I get my car. I’m actually more worried about this than panel gaps and alignment. At least we know Tesla can, and will, fix those!

Reactions: AK_MYP and fablau

That's great, and congrats on your new Model Y! And thank you for sharing it. If we were close I'd love to meet and compare your car with mine. Unfortunately, we are too many miles apart.

This is great news! So, so happy for you!!! Yay! And congrats on the new Tesla :)

If you own a Model Y, please, check the following and post your answer below:

1. Make sure your car A/C is off.

2. Close all doors and let your car cool for 5 minutes.

3. Open the door: Do you hear a humming sound coming from the front-right side of the frunk that never stops? Can you also hear it from inside, sounding like a continuous humming sound similar to an airplane or a faraway lawnmower?

If so, please, post below your Model Y year and purchase date. We are trying to understand how many cars are affected by this problem, which may be caused by defective water pumps of the cooling system (octovalve system) or other related components as explained on this thread. You can also look at this video where I explain the problem:

It looks like newer Model Ys are affected by this problem, whereas older models are completely quiet.

If we get enough people reporting this issue, we can potentially open a case with Tesla and have the problem fixed for everybody.

Thanks in advance to everyone!
Just got my Tesla Model Y a week ago and I hear this noise coming from the same spot. It sounds just like I’m your video? Did you get it fixed? What was the problem with it?

Just got my Tesla Model Y a week ago and I hear this noise coming from the same spot. It sounds just like I’m your video? Did you get it fixed? What was the problem with it?

I am sorry you have the same problem. Unfortunately, Tesla doesn't seem to take it seriously, that's why we are discussing all this on this forum and this other one:

And that's why we are organizing a petition to push Tesla to do something about it. You can learn more and help with that on my site modelyissue.com

I'd strongly recommend schedule an appointment at your Tesla service center and complain about it. Tell them that the noise is coming from the water pumps area and that you know that it is not supposed to make that noise. Tell them that many other people are complaining about it. Push them to take it seriously. And please,keep us posted with your results ;)

Thanks!

Just took delivery of my Model 3 on 9/24. I definitely have this problem as well. One other issue to mention - if you do scheduled charging and leave your charge port open as intended, this pump will run the entire time. You'll drain your battery about 1mi/hour while it waits for its scheduled time. That's not good. Once it completes charging, it goes to sleep and stops the noise.

Just took delivery of my Model 3 on 9/24. I definitely have this problem as well. One other issue to mention - if you do scheduled charging and leave your charge port open as intended, this pump will run the entire time. You'll drain your battery about 1mi/hour while it waits for its scheduled time. That's not good. Once it completes charging, it goes to sleep and stops the noise.

Well, I am sorry to hear you have the same problem too. But what you are describing is not happening to me. I always use scheduled charging, my car is plugged all the time waiting to be charged at night, but while it is NOT charging but plugged, it doesn't make any noise.... unless I open a door, unplug or connect via the app.

Anyone else having the same issue reported by @NolesFan ?

UPDATE:

Today I got a call from another service center that was contacted by my local Tesla Owners Club (Orange County), and he told me that he's going to open a new engineering ticket for my case and he'll make sure to keep me posted about it. He also said that they are aware of this issue but at the moment they don't have a fix for it (!!!).

I have no idea where all this will take me, but I'll make sure to keep everyone posted.

One thing is sure: the more people open engineering tickets about this issue, the better. Therefore, anyone who contacted their service center, or it is going to, please, make sure to push to open an engineering ticket about it! It is my understanding that that's the only way to let Tesla headquarters about it! And as I suggested earlier, contact your local Tesla Owners Club, they can help with this a great deal.

As always, I am eager to know your thoughts on all this.

Thanks.

Fab.

UPDATE:

Today I got a call from another service center that was contacted by my local Tesla Owners Club (Orange County), and he told me that he's going to open a new engineering ticket for my case and he'll make sure to keep me posted about it. He also said that they are aware of this issue but at the moment they don't have a fix for it (!!!).

I have no idea where all this will take me, but I'll make sure to keep everyone posted.

One thing is sure: the more people open engineering tickets about this issue, the better. Therefore, anyone who contacted their service center, or it is going to, please, make sure to push to open an engineering ticket about it! It is my understanding that that's the only way to let Tesla headquarters about it! And as I suggested earlier, contact your local Tesla Owners Club, they can help with this a great deal.

As always, I am eager to know your thoughts on all this.

Thanks.

Fab.
WOW!!! This is the best news. How terrible for Tesla to ignore it for so long and make owners fight, but this seems to be going in the right direction. I really hope Tesla abandons their "noise is normal" stance. PLEASE keep us posted. You are awesome for doing this. You have been fighting so hard, for so many owners. Good on you!

Reactions: mstatkus and fablau