Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Does your Model Y make this humming sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WOW!!! This is the best news. How terrible for Tesla to ignore it for so long and make owners fight, but this seems to be going in the right direction. I really hope Tesla abandons their "noise is normal" stance. PLEASE keep us posted. You are awesome for doing this. You have been fighting so hard, for so many owners. Good on you!

Yeah, something better than the previous answer... but I don't have high expectations either. I am afraid I'll hear again the usual phrase "it is normal" as soon as they tackle my case.

I'll definitively keep you posted! Thanks ;)

Reactions: Deutsch100
UPDATE:

Our friend Chino from South Korea, got back to me with his experience at his local Tesla Service Center, and here is what he said:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Fabrizio,

I went to the service center this Monday and consulted with Tesla advisor.

The Tesla advisor said the noise was normal at first, but it was found that there was a significantly louder noise and a different band sound compared to other cars brought to the service center.

The part takes about two months to arrive from the US to Korea, and an appointment is scheduled for replacement on October 29th.

The advisor said that even the parts to be replaced can make noise, but I think it's good to try.

In addition, the advisor said that there is a high probability that there will be no noise because the stock of parts for repair is managed in a different lot from the stock of parts for production.

I hope you are doing well and I will contact you again after receiving the repair from the service center on October 29th.

I guess with "Tesla Advisor" he meant "Service Technician", but this is great news!

And even better, look at what part his service center has ordered for him:

Screenshot_20210923-104558_Naver Cafe.jpg

And guess what? The damn coolant (water) pump! They call it "battery coolant pump", at least we know that!

At this point, let's wait and see if that's going to solve the problem. If it does, well, we have something in our hands to tell our Service Centers ;)

UPDATE:

Our friend Chino from South Korea, got back to me with his experience at his local Tesla Service Center, and here is what he said:

Hello Fabrizio,

I went to the service center this Monday and consulted with Tesla advisor.

The Tesla advisor said the noise was normal at first, but it was found that there was a significantly louder noise and a different band sound compared to other cars brought to the service center.

The part takes about two months to arrive from the US to Korea, and an appointment is scheduled for replacement on October 29th.

The advisor said that even the parts to be replaced can make noise, but I think it's good to try.

In addition, the advisor said that there is a high probability that there will be no noise because the stock of parts for repair is managed in a different lot from the stock of parts for production.

I hope you are doing well and I will contact you again after receiving the repair from the service center on October 29th.

I guess with "Tesla Advisor" he meant "Service Technician", but this is great news!

And even better, look at what part his service center has ordered for him:

View attachment 716575

And guess what? The damn coolant (water) pump! They call it "battery coolant pump", at least we know that!

At this point, let's wait and see if that's going to solve the problem. If it does, well, we have something in our hands to tell our Service Centers ;)
Just have to ask…is that a $46 USD part?

Just have to ask…is that a $46 USD part?

Yes, that appears to be! That's completely insane!

So... here is my question: Why the Tesla service in South Korea is ordering replacement parts without problems (from the US, by the way), whereas here in the US our Tesla service centers keep dismissing the problem without willing to help at all? What's the reason behind such a different behavior? It's shameful.

Reactions: Deutsch100 and ArtK
I wish you luck in your quest to solve this problem. I admire your tenacity.

Thank you very much, appreciated!

This morning I am going to call my service center and I'll ask why they can't just order a replacement part as they did in South Korea. I really don't see why they couldn't do it. If they can do it over there, they can do it anywhere!

I just picked up a brand new Model Y last night. Brought it home and noticed it was making the humming noise. This morning I got a “coolant low, car is safe to drive” warning and noticed there are small puddles of blue coolant on the ground.

Oh wow, that's pretty bad. That blue liquid is the battery coolant, as far as I know. I'd recommend calling your Tesla Service right away and avoid driving your car until it is fixed despite the car says "is safe to drive."

Sorry to hear you also have the damn noise. Please, keep us posted on this issue.

Thanks!

That does not seem "safe to drive" and how sad being day 1!! :(
It was pretty disappointing. Especially after a great drive home from delivery. It’s a full 10 dB quieter on the highway than the Model 3 I traded in. Now it gets to sit in the garage until my appointment Thursday. I’ll update the thread when I get it back from service.

It was pretty disappointing. Especially after a great drive home from delivery. It’s a full 10 dB quieter on the highway than the Model 3 I traded in. Now it gets to sit in the garage until my appointment Thursday. I’ll update the thread when I get it back from service.

Yes, I share your thoughts and I agree: my new Model Y is quieter on the highway than my 2019 Model 3, but only there and only while running at 40+ mph. Slower than that I hear the damn humming noise.

Thanks for keeping us updated about it.

Yes my brand new Model Y makes a Humming Sound, especially when you just turn it on for the first time. I thought that this was pretty standard/normal for electric cars.

I am sorry your car has this damn noise as well. Electric cars are supposed to be quiet, mostly Teslas. Make sure your car makes that noise even when the A/C is off and behaves as I have explained on my site modelyissue.com. If so, please, contact your service center and complain about it.

Yeah, something better than the previous answer... but I don't have high expectations either. I am afraid I'll hear again the usual phrase "it is normal" as soon as they tackle my case.

I'll definitively keep you posted! Thanks ;)
Thank you so much! i bought my model 3 4 days ago and the hum is driving me crazy! I am being told it is normal. Today I went to an EV fair and sat in 3 brand new model 3s. All of them were totally quiet. So I know this is not normal. It's very upsetting and I feel like selling the damn thing and never going near a tesla again. the sales manager has been completely unhelpful. Thank you for what you are doing to try to remedy this. Please let me know if there is anything else we can do. Thanks! Jennifer

Thank you so much! i bought my model 3 4 days ago and the hum is driving me crazy! I am being told it is normal. Today I went to an EV fair and sat in 3 brand new model 3s. All of them were totally quiet. So I know this is not normal. It's very upsetting and I feel like selling the damn thing and never going near a tesla again. the sales manager has been completely unhelpful. Thank you for what you are doing to try to remedy this. Please let me know if there is anything else we can do. Thanks! Jennifer

Thank you Jennifer for reporting! Have you tried to go to a different service center? Please, let me know. Another option (or I'd say the next step) is to ask Tesla to open an "engineering ticket" on this issue. That'll open a sort of "investigation" on the issue which will be officially filed at Tesla. I did that and didn't solve anything (they still said "it's normal"), but at least they know about it "officially" and I am sure that the more people open that kind of "ticket" about the same problem, the more chances we have to have Tesla take this seriously and fix it.

And thank you for signing the petition, I'll get back to you via email soon!

All the best,

Fab.