Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Does your Model Y make this humming sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you so much! i bought my model 3 4 days ago and the hum is driving me crazy! I am being told it is normal. Today I went to an EV fair and sat in 3 brand new model 3s. All of them were totally quiet. So I know this is not normal. It's very upsetting and I feel like selling the damn thing and never going near a tesla again. the sales manager has been completely unhelpful. Thank you for what you are doing to try to remedy this. Please let me know if there is anything else we can do. Thanks! Jennifer
SO sorry Jennifer. I kept my new 2021 Model Y Perf. for 35 days before selling it. The noise was so AWFUL, that unless I was on the highway, the noise would go over normal music or conversation volume. At stop lights or red light, the sound was deafening and it just became all I could hear :( I waited so long for my Y to arrive, and from day 1...such a disappointment; especially with Tesla saying it is "normal". Tesla might have lost me as a customer forever. Very sad honestly!

If you vehicle is humming below 20mph, then that's normal. Hybrids and EVs make these humming noises to make people with poor eyesight aware that a car is approaching at a low velocity. My mom's Camry Hybrid makes the sound when you are getting close to a stop or when you do a slow acceleration.

I do not think that the Humming noise is a defect as it is only heard when turning on the vehicle or reversing slowly. However, at higher velocities, the sound is non-existant.

Please refer to this article: You Might Hear Some Strange Noises Coming From New EVs

SO sorry Jennifer. I kept my new 2021 Model Y Perf. for 35 days before selling it. The noise was so AWFUL, that unless I was on the highway, the noise would go over normal music or conversation volume. At stop lights or red light, the sound was deafening and it just became all I could hear :( I waited so long for my Y to arrive, and from day 1...such a disappointment; especially with Tesla saying it is "normal". Tesla might have lost me as a customer forever. Very sad honestly!
Unless if you guys have engineered electric vehicles for a living, I don't think there is anything wrong with the humming noise.

It would be great if Tesla could make the car or the app analyze noises, like the Shazam app. Based on frequency analysis and knowing which parts of the car were powered on it should be able to figure it out what the noise is without a service center visit. Just dreaming, but if anyone has the talent to do this it’s Tesla.

It would be great if Tesla could make the car or the app analyze noises, like the Shazam app. Based on frequency analysis and knowing which parts of the car were powered on it should be able to figure it out what the noise is without a service center visit. Just dreaming, but if anyone has the talent to do this it’s Tesla.
That sounds like a job for an EE (Electrical Engineer). Wish I would have majored in EE as opposed to CS looking back now.

If you vehicle is humming below 20mph, then that's normal. Hybrids and EVs make these humming noises to make people with poor eyesight aware that a car is approaching at a low velocity. My mom's Camry Hybrid makes the sound when you are getting close to a stop or when you do a slow acceleration.

I do not think that the Humming noise is a defect as it is only heard when turning on the vehicle or reversing slowly. However, at higher velocities, the sound is non-existant.

Please refer to this article: You Might Hear Some Strange Noises Coming From New EVs
Please read most of the posts on this thread....NONE of us are complaining about the pedestrian acoustic warning sound. I personally love that sound; my son calls it the space ship.

The sound is coming from defective or cheap water battery/coolant pumps. The noise is 100% unacceptable!!

Reactions: fablau

I am sorry, but we are not discussing the "pedestrian warning system" here. Please, read the whole discussion from the beginning and visit my site at modelyissue.com to learn about this problem. Thanks.

My '21 MYP makes a myriad of humming, hissing and clicking noises while parked and locked, not plugged in, and cool. I wil pay closer attention to when they do/do not emerge and report back. I assume the noises are normal.

Yes, please, let us know. Be sure to visit my site modelyissue.com to know exactly what we are talking about here and to understand if your car has this problem. Thanks!

Reactions: Deutsch100
My service center is trying to charge me to even investigate this issue on a new Model 3. I reported it in the app within a day of delivery, and I was instructed by the delivery representative that all issues reported via the app within three days would be investigated free of charge. I've had my issues with Tesla service in the past, but this is a new low.

My service center is trying to charge me to even investigate this issue on a new Model 3. I reported it in the app within a day of delivery, and I was instructed by the delivery representative that all issues reported via the app within three days would be investigated free of charge. I've had my issues with Tesla service in the past, but this is a new low.
I am so sorry! This is disgusting. I was so stoked and waited a long time for my 2021 MYP to arrive, only to be sh*t on by Tesla. They have some brilliant ideas, but they should focus on customer service & build quality and parts more and less on farting blinkers or Santa in a sleigh ;) Just my opinion though!

Reactions: fablau

That's terrible, I am wondering why they let that happen. If I was you I'd join the local Tesla Owners Club in San Diego and complain about it. Also, ask them to help you with this issue, they can help a great deal:

Also, make sure to sign the petition at modelyissue.com.

Please, keep us posted!

I am so sorry! This is disgusting. I was so stoked and waited a long time for my 2021 MYP to arrive, only to be sh*t on by Tesla. They have some brilliant ideas, but they should focus on customer service & build quality and parts more and less on farting blinkers or Santa in a sleigh ;) Just my opinion though!

Agreed 100%. It's shameful and sad that Tesla falls so short on customer support. That part of the business should be the easiest one, shouldn't it?

So I have the exact same noise as what is in the videos being posted but based on the description of hearing it over the AC and feeling the vibrations in the steering wheel and floorboards, I don’t think mine is as bad. It definitely caught my attention hearing it in the garage from outside the car since this is my first Tesla but I wouldn’t say it’s annoying from within the cabin. I can hear it but it’s closer to the sound of a Model Y that doesn’t have the issue. Still louder than “normal” but quieter than what is in the videos.

MYP built on 9/15 and picked up on 9/16.

So I have the exact same noise as what is in the videos being posted but based on the description of hearing it over the AC and feeling the vibrations in the steering wheel and floorboards, I don’t think mine is as bad. It definitely caught my attention hearing it in the garage from outside the car since this is my first Tesla but I wouldn’t say it’s annoying from within the cabin. I can hear it but it’s closer to the sound of a Model Y that doesn’t have the issue. Still louder than “normal” but quieter than what is in the videos.

Thank you for reporting, and I am sorry you are having the same issue. It is our understanding that the noise is present at different levels. Glad yours is within the lower range.

I also am having this issue on my 277xxx MYP though it’s not as loud and with the volume I usually listen to my music I can’t hear the humming but it’s definitely there. Came from a 2020 M3P and that car was absolutely dead silent with the fans off. Having mobile service come out on Wednesday to install some stuff on my car, will ask about it then but I’m expecting them to just say it’s normal.

I also am having this issue on my 277xxx MYP though it’s not as loud and with the volume I usually listen to my music I can’t hear the humming but it’s definitely there. Came from a 2020 M3P and that car was absolutely dead silent with the fans off. Having mobile service come out on Wednesday to install some stuff on my car, will ask about it then but I’m expecting them to just say it’s normal.

I am sorry for your new Model 3. The mobile service doesn't usually look into those things, and it is possible they'll suggest scheduling an appointment at the service's location. But yes, please, let us know what they'll tell you. Any information is always very welcome.

My car does same thing - noise and vibration in the steering wheel and floorboards. I already booked a schedule with SC in next 2 weeks. Let's see what they are going to say about this.