Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Does your Model Y make this humming sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 719968
Here’s mine that quieted down with full coolant. Edit: we’ll I havent had the covers off again to see if it’s quieter, but it doesn’t run all the time now. (P)1088245-00-L (S)HNN21250BM35450
I'm glad that it's quieter since adding coolant.

A few questions:
1. How did you determine if you were low on the coolant?
2. Is this something that needs to be done at the Tesla SC?
3. Is the humming noise notably quieter and how frequent / when do you notice it coming on?

If replacing the pump fixes the humming in other other Y's, i'm assuming that the coolant has to be replaced or filled as well as part of that process.

@Silent Ludicrosy I missed earlier post on the leakage and puddle on day 1 of delivery. That was plain horrible.

Still interested how loud comparatively and the frequency.

That said, I feel like the car is going to explode when i supercharge. I'm the loudest one of the bunch at the stations.

Yeah, I'd be interested in knowing that as well.

@LiquidSunshine do you also have the humming noise we are experiencing running all the time, no matter if you are super-charging or having the A/C on/off?

Yeah, I'd be interested in knowing that as well.

@LiquidSunshine do you also have the humming noise we are experiencing running all the time, no matter if you are super-charging or having the A/C on/off?
Yes. It's always there when car is used with HVAC off. Starts when entering car or remotely accessing from app when car is locked as well. Doesn't stop until the car is parked and the app is not pinging the car (aka closed) after 30-45 min of no activity.

@fablau i thought i read somewhere you had the SC check the fluid for you as well. did sound and frequency change for you or am i mistaken?

Yes. It's always there when car is used with HVAC off. Starts when entering car or remotely accessing from app when car is locked as well. Doesn't stop until the car is parked and the app is not pinging the car (aka closed) after 30-45 min of no activity.

@fablau i thought i read somewhere you had the SC check the fluid for you as well. did sound and frequency change for you or am i mistaken?

Thank you for confirming.

To answer your question, yes, they checked everything, sound, and dB as well. Their answer? Everything is normal. No sir! It's not normal when you always hear the noise of a lawnmower in front of your car!!

Anyway, I can't wait for them to replace my pumps. I am keeping my finger crossed 24/7 that that's going to fix it!

• Love
Reactions: Deutsch100
UPDATE:

Tomorrow I'll take my Model Y to the service for the water pump replacement. It'll take a couple of days for the job to be completed. I'll keep my finger crossed hoping that'll actually fix the problem.

Now, I am thinking of a "plan B" in case those pumps will still make noise. I can either ask for further research into the issue, but I am not sure if that'll bring me anywhere. And certainly, I can get upset again and push the technicians to do their job properly: figure out what's causing the problem and fix it once for all! But I realize... isn't that what I have been doing already for the past 3-4 months?

I think that what'd really help is to have someone with a quiet Model Y taking a picture of their water pumps to verify if those have any different numbers printed on them. So, if someone with a quiet Model Y is reading this, or knows anyone with such quiet cars, please, help me to verify that.

And if you have any further ideas about what my plan B could look like, please, let me know. Of course, I still have a petition building up at modelyissue.com, and that'll be my last card to play.

Thanks!

Here I am with some (bad) news. Not from me, but from one of the people that signed the petition on modelyissue.com. She had the same exact problem we all are discussing here, and after a lot of fights with her service center (as we all had!), she could have her service center replacing her car water pumps.

Unfortunately, she wrote me this morning that despite the replacement of the pumps, the problem is still there. And still, the technicians have no idea what's causing it. This is very, very disappointing, and shameful. To her extreme disappointment, she told her service center that she wouldn't take her car back unless it was fixed, no matter what. Tesla service acknowledged the problem and her decision, and so opened a new engineering ticket on the issue with the hope of sorting something out.

This is what I am afraid of going through in a few days. If my own pumps replacement is not going to fix the issue as well, what am I going to do? I'd probably go through the same route, asking for a resolution of some kind. But will that take us anywhere??!!

I am sorry for the bad news, but I am eager to know your thoughts on all this.

taking 2-3 days to just replace a pump is already bad news.

Agreed. I think that's just due to being overwhelmed by servicing people. When I brought my car yesterday, I had to wait in line for 15 minutes before they could check me in. There was a line of 10 cars before be, waiting in line to be checked in at the service center. Insane... and I am wondering: what problems do all those people have? Aren't Teslas supposed to be "maintenance-free"? If so... why such a long line at the service? What kind of problems do they have?

Reactions: Falcon73
Agreed. I think that's just due to being overwhelmed by servicing people. When I brought my car yesterday, I had to wait in line for 15 minutes before they could check me in. There was a line of 10 cars before be, waiting in line to be checked in at the service center. Insane... and I am wondering: what problems do all those people have? Aren't Teslas supposed to be "maintenance-free"? If so... why such a long line at the service? What kind of problems do they have?
I wish we had some breakdown showing the percentage of service visits are due to delivery issues (panel adjustments, scratched trim, etc.), collision repairs, and everything else.

It would also be interesting to see how many service appointments are due to Tesla not resolving an issue on the first attempt but I doubt they track this as there is no place in the service ticket to link to an existing/previous issue. I've had so many issues with my 2018 M3 LR RWD but it has been exacerbated by the fact that Telsa "can't replicate the issue", can't resolve the issue, just chose to ignore an issue, or saying they've resolved an issue when in fact, they haven't. I actually have stopped scheduling service lots of the existing issues because after multiple visits, I just got exhausted by having to make my case every time.

I'll admit that most of the (many) issues have just been annoying fit and finish, creaking, buzzing, or rattle issues, or clunking, clicking, or bumpy suspension issues that don't actually impact the ability to drive the car. From that standpoint, it is functionally low maintenance, but as @fablau has experienced, certain noises frustrate me so much that it really effects my enjoyment of the car.

Whenever I find a glassy smooth road and am listening to music, I remember the joy this car gives me. However, I'm really hoping the upcoming MYLR resolves a lot of the build issues that have plagued me on my early VIN M3. Hopefully, this hum issue has been dealt with by the time I get the MY!

Reactions: fablau
I wish we had some breakdown showing the percentage of service visits are due to delivery issues (panel adjustments, scratched trim, etc.), collision repairs, and everything else.

It would also be interesting to see how many service appointments are due to Tesla not resolving an issue on the first attempt but I doubt they track this as there is no place in the service ticket to link to an existing/previous issue. I've had so many issues with my 2018 M3 LR RWD but it has been exacerbated by the fact that Telsa "can't replicate the issue", can't resolve the issue, just chose to ignore an issue, or saying they've resolved an issue when in fact, they haven't. I actually have stopped scheduling service lots of the existing issues because after multiple visits, I just got exhausted by having to make my case every time.

I'll admit that most of the (many) issues have just been annoying fit and finish, creaking, buzzing, or rattle issues, or clunking, clicking, or bumpy suspension issues that don't actually impact the ability to drive the car. From that standpoint, it is functionally low maintenance, but as @fablau has experienced, certain noises frustrate me so much that it really effects my enjoyment of the car.

Whenever I find a glassy smooth road and am listening to music, I remember the joy this car gives me. However, I'm really hoping the upcoming MYLR resolves a lot of the build issues that have plagued me on my early VIN M3. Hopefully, this hum issue has been dealt with by the time I get the MY!

I hope so for you too!!