Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Does your Model Y make this humming sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the same exact reply. About the Model 3s, yes, that's right, I have a 2019 Model 3 which doesn't have the heat pump (and it is super quiet). But I have tried older Model Ys with a heat pump and they were super quiet. I also had the answer "we can't use customers' cars for this purpose". Well, at first I seconded that and asked to show a model Model Y they could have there as a loaner or for showcase, and that's what they did. And there were two, one of the employees. And they were both quet. Then, when they acknowledged that there was a difference, we tried to understand why my new Model Y had this problem, and they could pull out a customer's new Model Y to compare. And that one had our same noise problem. So... if they want to, they can do it. They just tend to dismiss and ignore the problem as much as they can. I am sorry, but that's how they do.

At this point, if they are in complete denial, I'd change the service center. Another option is to contact your local Tesla Owners Club and ask for help from them. They usually can help with this sort of things. They are able to deal directly with the service centers and Tesla headquarters ;)
Is there a link to tesla owner's club? Is this the right one Tesla Owners of Silicon Valley ? When I click on the Contact Us tab it takes me to Tesla website.

Just picked up my car from the Santa Clara service center. The usual “it’s normal” and “we’re unable to reproduce the issue”. Tried pushing several times and even sent them several videos of the noise. Also told them that others have had this issue and replacing the water pump and/or supermanifold assembly fixes the issue. Still no luck :(

Reactions: fablau
Just picked up my car from the Santa Clara service center. The usual “it’s normal” and “we’re unable to reproduce the issue”. Tried pushing several times and even sent them several videos of the noise. Also told them that others have had this issue and replacing the water pump and/or supermanifold assembly fixes the issue. Still no luck :(

So sorry about that. The only thing that works is to compare your car with a quiet one. But make sure to do it with one that has the same colling system such as a quiet new Model 3 or Model Y, or an more-than-5-months-old Model Y (they were all quiet!)

We were moments away from ordering our fourth Tesla but my husband remembered to look into the humming noise we noticed on our test drive. I actually have the VIN for the test drive M3LR, so maybe someone here knows where it was on production calendar:

5YJ3E1EB1MF079586
Sequential number: 7958

We forgot about it but might stop by today to ask the guy. we only have a service center here, but since our last interaction it seems they have a manager that’s kind of a sales advisor.

So disappointing this subpar part is being used and Tesla expects us to accept it as normal.

It sounds like for OP replacing the water pump fixed 80% of the noise and for Cobra 100%?
but even as of last week they’re dismissing the issue?

maybe we can keep a tally somewhere with most recent reported noise date, how many times tesla has replaced and reduced and how many continue to hit a wall?i hope this is resolved and they toss the bad part rather than finish inventory!

Reactions: fablau and K-Fresh
My Model 3 Standard Range Plus was delivered on September 28, 2021.
Noticed the loud humming noise and took in for service at Carlsbad CA, on October 1, 2021. They said everything was normal and did nothing.
October 12, 2021, took car in service at Miramar CA for the same issue. Replaced Cooling Fan. Noise went away and came back a few hours later.
October 29, 2021, took car in service at Miramar CA for the same issue. Replaced Supermanifold Assembly. Noise still there. So we left the car behind for them to find the issue. A few days later, they called and said they compared sound level to 3 other similar VIN model 3's and found sound level the same. They said this is a normal sound on the newer model 3's, and no further actions required.
I am going to call them on Monday Nov. 13 and see if I can replace A/C Compressor Bracket.
Thank you thank you Fablau and Cobra2077 for sharing your stories. It was very helpful. I am so glad to discover your stories.
We also own a 2019 Model 3 and we love it. That's why we decided to purchase another one. My wife could not bear the noise and said to sell it and buy something different.
I will post more when I get my car back on my next service. Hopefully this will be the end of it.

Noticed the loud humming noise and took in for service at Carlsbad CA, on October 1, 2021. They said everything was normal and did nothing.
October 12, 2021, took car in service at Miramar CA for the same issue. Replaced Cooling Fan. Noise went away and came back a few hours later.
October 29, 2021, took car in service at Miramar CA for the same issue. Replaced Supermanifold Assembly. Noise still there. So we left the car behind for them to find the issue. A few days later, they called and said they compared sound level to 3 other similar VIN model 3's and found sound level the same. They said this is a normal sound on the newer model 3's, and no further actions required.
I am going to call them on Monday Nov. 13 and see if I can replace A/C Compressor Bracket.
Thank you thank you Fablau and Cobra2077 for sharing your stories. It was very helpful. I am so glad to discover your stories.
We also own a 2019 Model 3 and we love it. That's why we decided to purchase another one. My wife could not bear the noise and said to sell it and buy something different.
I will post more when I get my car back on my next service. Hopefully this will be the end of it.
I meant Monday Nov. 15th not 13th.

Thank you for letting us know about all this. You are the first person reporting a negative result by replacing the whole supermanifold. At this point, it's reasonable to say that it is a matter of chance to have the problem fixed. And that's clearly NOT acceptable.

We must push Tesla to open an investigation into this issue to address the problem once and for all. The concept that all new cars make that noise (and hence, it's normal) is NOT true. I personally heard newly produced cars being completely quiet. Many people have reported having delivery of their new Model Ys or Model s in the past 2-3 months being completely quiet. Again, it is a matter of "chance" and that's NOT acceptable.

That's why we are building a petition on this issue. Thank you again!

Reactions: K-Fresh
We were moments away from ordering our fourth Tesla but my husband remembered to look into the humming noise we noticed on our test drive. I actually have the VIN for the test drive M3LR, so maybe someone here knows where it was on production calendar:

5YJ3E1EB1MF079586
Sequential number: 7958

We forgot about it but might stop by today to ask the guy. we only have a service center here, but since our last interaction it seems they have a manager that’s kind of a sales advisor.

So disappointing this subpar part is being used and Tesla expects us to accept it as normal.

Yesterday my husband stopped by and spoke to the SA about the sound and they compared it to other Teslas and none made the noise except the LR. Today we did another test drive and I filmed the noise a little more, starting with the decibel reading with my watch in my 2020 Model 3 vs this test drive model (in Nov 2021):

SA said he'd put in a ticket and have his service people look at it, so I'll keep you guys posted. I'm hoping they would do something about it or can share there's a memo about it.

btw: I just let my dog outside and my car has been charging a couple of hours and I can hear that same noise, but the dB is still lower than the LR this morning.

As a side note, one of the people who signed the petition, just reported that some of the new produced Teslas have missing USB-C ports due to shortages:

Is this the route Tesla is taking? Raising the price of their cars and lowering their quality?
Supposedly you can make an appointment to have this fixed at no cost. I worry that stuff like this would only take their time and attention away from other problems, like the noise that shouldn’t be there.

Yesterday my husband stopped by and spoke to the SA about the sound and they compared it to other Teslas and none made the noise except the LR. Today we did another test drive and I filmed the noise a little more, starting with the decibel reading with my watch in my 2020 Model 3 vs this test drive model (in Nov 2021):

SA said he'd put in a ticket and have his service people look at it, so I'll keep you guys posted. I'm hoping they would do something about it or can share there's a memo about it.

btw: I just let my dog outside and my car has been charging a couple of hours and I can hear that same noise, but the dB is still lower than the LR this morning.

Wow, thank you for reporting and for posting the video, the difference is huge! Yes please, keep us posted on this issue. Thanks!

Supposedly you can make an appointment to have this fixed at no cost. I worry that stuff like this would only take their time and attention away from other problems, like the noise that shouldn’t be there.

Yeah, Tesla is making its own life more complicated by introducing all these "defects" that sooner or later will need to address. How is it possible they don't realize the inevitable consequences of all this mess?

My MYLR is at the service center today. The service advisor said that he had someone with a MY come in last week complaining of the humming sound. He said they listened to three other MYs and they all had the same sound, one of which was louder. He said he will have the techs check mine out and let me know. I told him about the message board and the website with petitions and he said none of that is looked at or considered by Tesla and only officially documented issues by Tesla are taken seriously. He also stated that if the water pumps or super manifold stop working, they will be replaced but likely not just for the noise. I’m fairly certain I’m going to get the standard response of the noise is within spec when I pick up later. I’ll provide an update then.

Reactions: K-Fresh and fablau
My MYLR is at the service center today. The service advisor said that he had someone with a MY come in last week complaining of the humming sound. He said they listened to three other MYs and they all had the same sound, one of which was louder. He said he will have the techs check mine out and let me know. I told him about the message board and the website with petitions and he said none of that is looked at or considered by Tesla and only officially documented issues by Tesla are taken seriously. He also stated that if the water pumps or super manifold stop working, they will be replaced but likely not just for the noise. I’m fairly certain I’m going to get the standard response of the noise is within spec when I pick up later. I’ll provide an update then.

Thank you very much for your in-depth report. I am also afraid you'll get the usual response, but our hopes are always high. Please, keep us posted!

Reactions: K-Fresh
I have a LR MY coming next year, I'll have to look for this on the day I take delivery. Hopefully mine won't have this issue. :(

I had a 2016 Harley Davidson Road Glide which had water cooled heads, and for a few weeks before the water pump blew out on it the pump made a sound very similar to this. It was easy to hear because the pump is external on a motorcycle, I could even hear it over the sound of the engine and exhaust at idle. Harley eventually did a recall to replace the pumps because they were faulty and would fail prematurely, so if this Tesla sound is caused by a water pump then I'd wager its not a good thing for long term reliability.