Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Does your Model Y make this humming sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Beside having the same humming noise issue like everyone here...After updating the latest update V2021.40.30 on my model 3, I was trying out and turn on the Sentry Mode for the first time and noticed the same humming noise was constantly on non-stop unless turning the Sentry Mode back to off. Does anyone here also has this experience?

Is it doing that even if the car is parked and left alone for more than 30 minutes? I mean, it is always doing that?

Yes the car was parked and was checking every 1hr for 3hrs and the humming never stop. Also noted the battery drained about 10km(6miles) during the 3hrs with the Sentry Mode On.

Ok, I can confirm that with Sentry mode on, the pumps keep running. And I think that's probably normal since it helps to keep the computer system cool as well. I have also tested the same with my quiet 2019 Model 3, and it makes a noise as well (much, much quieter though).

What concerns me, as you have reported, is the use of energy because of it. What if you leave your car parked for more than 24 hours with sentry mode on??!! Is it really gonna take more than 50 miles of range just for that??! That sounds crazy insane to me.

Loud humming noise, as described here, resolved after Tesla service replaced both coolant pumps!

Less than two weeks ago we picked up a new MY LR (demo with a few hundred miles) and immediately noticed the continuous loud humming noise from the frunk. I did a google search when I got home and found this this post, and the modelyissue website and petition. I began contacting folks at Tesla and got the car into service where they confirmed the coolant pumps were both louder than normal and replaced them.

I was able to advocate for the fix better having read all these posts, though was concerned that it would need a whole supermanifold based on some comments I read. Fortunately replacing the pumps seems to have solved the problem, which Tesla Service seemed quite willing to do.

While I am very aware and sensitive to annoying sounds myself, and found this noise very irritating (enough so that I would have tried to return the car), I can also attest that even my much less sound finicky family members, while not as bothered by it as much, did agree this was excessive and not acceptable. So I wanted to chime in here and say that those who‘ve posted this is not a real problem and just “normal” are not understanding how excessive this sound is, and Tesla service folks agreed it was excessive. Hopefully Tesla will resolve the problem with this part and get them replaced and corrected at the assembly line. Our car was produced October 2021. We love it and glad it is not buzzing constantly whenever in use (and for about ten minutes after engaging with the vehicle in any way). My measurements were about 48db in my quiet garage from the drivers seat, louder outside the car by the hood. it was a fairly low pitch humming, around middle C (and a bit higher) on a piano, and very audible anytime we sat in the car parked, while driving slow, at stop signs ,etc., but mostly got covered up by other road sounds at about 30MPH. I am relieved it was not a complicated fix.
Bump again. @Baby Magnolia Can you please provide the Tesla service pdf repair that was done so others like myself can show to service for a fix?

Reactions: Getlib and fablau
maybe, but his record clip is better than yours and clearly shows problem.

From his description appears to be a different issue. The issue we are discussing here is a humming noise that runs always, no matter if the fan or the A/C is on or off. He wrote: "it happens every several minutes." and from the recording, it is possible that that's normal. I have heard my Model Y doing that noise once in a while when the fan is running.

What instead I found similar, is the continuous humming noise running in the background. He could have the same problem we are discussing here, and he may not even be aware of it. He's just focusing on the lauder noise that appears "every several minutes."

I have asked him for more info about it.

Hi

2022 model Y picked up in December

I have had the hum since beginning. I took mine in for an unrelated issue and mentioned this. They said nothing was wrong but filled the coolant for this.

I’d like to see others with vehicles who don’t think they have this noise open their door or the app and take a video of the frunk. There must be a noise as no pump is completely quiet but I’d like to hear the differences
If you own a Model Y, please, check the following and post your answer below:

1. Make sure your car A/C is off.

2. Close all doors and let your car cool for 5 minutes.

3. Open the door: Do you hear a humming sound coming from the front-right side of the frunk that never stops? Can you also hear it from inside, sounding like a continuous humming sound similar to an airplane or a faraway lawnmower?

If so, please, post below your Model Y year and purchase date. We are trying to understand how many cars are affected by this problem, which may be caused by defective water pumps of the cooling system (octovalve system) or other related components as explained on this thread. You can also look at this video where I explain the problem:

It looks like newer Model Ys are affected by this problem, whereas older models are completely quiet.

If we get enough people reporting this issue, we can potentially open a case with Tesla and have the problem fixed for everybody.

Thanks in advance to everyone!

Reactions: fablau
Hi

2022 model Y picked up in December

I have had the hum since beginning. I took mine in for an unrelated issue and mentioned this. They said nothing was wrong but filled the coolant for this.

I’d like to see others with vehicles who don’t think they have this noise open their door or the app and take a video of the frunk. There must be a noise as no pump is completely quiet but I’d like to hear the differences

Yes, you are right, all pumps make noise. Even my super-quiet 2019 Model 3 makes some noise when you open a door coming from similar cooling pumps, but from inside the cabin can not be heard. I remember having the same experience with my old 2016 Model S. But nowadays Tesla is randomly installing noisy pumps, or some other component around them that makes them noisy, even from inside the cabin. And yet, they keep dismissing the problem saying that's "normal."

For sure it’s crazy noisy. I’d like to get Ingineerix (YouTube) to comment. Anyone know him? He’s tore apart all Teslas
Yes, you are right, all pumps make noise. Even my super-quiet 2019 Model 3 makes some noise when you open a door coming from similar cooling pumps, but from inside the cabin can not be heard. I remember having the same experience with my old 2016 Model S. But nowadays Tesla is randomly installing noisy pumps, or some other component around them that makes them noisy, even from inside the cabin. And yet, they keep dismissing the problem saying that's "normal."

Reactions: fablau
well, i will pick up the Y in Irvine next Monday. I will reject it if it has this issue. I work in Garage as my home office and this noise will kill me. how do I check this during pick up inspection?

Just sit inside the car with all windows and doors closed, make sure the A/C is off, then focus on any possible humming noise coming from the front-right of the vehicle. The environment around you must be quiet enough to notice that though.

Reactions: bluetrep1
Just sit inside the car with all windows and doors closed, make sure the A/C is off, then focus on any possible humming noise coming from the front-right of the vehicle. The environment around you must be quiet enough to notice that though.
bad luck today. the pick up location is close to a busy road, I can not hear any noise. so I accepted the car, drive back to garage, wow, very loud. I can not reject the delivery, lol. I also checked my neighbor's Y, completed quiet.

I'm a new Tesla owner. I took delivery of my 1/23/22 built Model YLR on 2/12/22. Unfortunately, it has this noise issue. It can be very annoying at times, especially when I'm just sitting in my car trying to get acquainted with the UI. Can corroborate that the noise begins when the car wakes up from the Tesla App, opening a door/trunk, or charge port. Doesn't seem to matter if the car is connected to the home charger or not. Car is garage kept and garage temperature has ranged from about 43F to 62F. I usually keep the car climate control off. When woken up, the humming noise is sometimes accompanied by short series of clicks and clunks. As long as I'm in the car, the humming noise persists. When I exit the car, it will make the noise for several (10) minutes before it stops.

Not only that, but I am also getting many alerts under the Service screen for "Touchscreen unresponsive" (UI_a008). And recently received the turtle "Power Reduced" (DIR_a062 and DI_a138) alerts while driving. One of the times the alert said that the front motor was temporarily disabled but was ok to drive. The car was very sluggish while driving in that condition.

Have an upcoming service appointment for my car that currently has under 600 miles. REALLY like the car, just hope these issues can be resolved. It will be very interesting to see if the showroom cars make similar noise and what their VINs are. That noise might be hard to explain to potential buyers and somewhat of a turnoff?? My first test drive of the Y was in mid 2020 and I don't think it made this noise. To end this on a positive note, I was happy with the build quality appearance.

I've just returned my model y here in Spain (valencia) because of this noise.
Both store manager and technical support manager told me that for them this noise is normal.
65.000 euros for an infernal noise.
I'm very disgusted with Tesla customer support and my satisfaction at this moment is 0 with the brand.

guys? A Tesla is almost never completely "off" - it hums, it gurgles, it pumps, it fans... all of them fairly softly.

To me, this whole thing is like an enormous group of dog owners worrying that their pooch makes some sounds while sleeping. Yes, snores and gurgles and farts happen. The thing is basically alive. It's not really a bug. Don't park in your living room and you'll be fine