Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Does your Model Y make this humming sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
guys? A Tesla is almost never completely "off" - it hums, it gurgles, it pumps, it fans... all of them fairly softly.

To me, this whole thing is like an enormous group of dog owners worrying that their pooch makes some sounds while sleeping. Yes, snores and gurgles and farts happen. The thing is basically alive. It's not really a bug. Don't park in your living room and you'll be fine

I am sorry, but you don't know what you are talking about. We are not lunatics. I have been a Tesla owner since 2016 and I know exactly how quiet Teslas can be. Please, learn more about this issue:

Thanks.

I am sorry, but you don't know what you are talking about. We are not lunatics. I have been a Tesla owner since 2016 and I know exactly how quiet Teslas can be. Please, learn more about this issue:

Thanks.

I've read your stuff... and it really doesn't sound like the massive issue you seem to believe it to be. Maybe you're missing a bit of acoustic insulation but screaming that you need a petition about it seem an over-reaction.

My Model Y farts steam sometimes when I'm supercharging. I did not start an entire website about it.

I've read your stuff... and it really doesn't sound like the massive issue you seem to believe it to be. Maybe you're missing a bit of acoustic insulation but screaming that you need a petition about it seem an over-reaction.

My Model Y farts steam sometimes when I'm supercharging. I did not start an entire website about it.

Again, I am sorry, with all due respect, clearly, you don't know what we are talking about. We are talking about a continuous humming noise that NEVER stops while using the car (even if parked).

Please, watch this video in particular, and you can't miss what we are all talking about:

Not all cars have this problem, hence why many people dismiss it or don't understand it. Furthermore, the noise level may be quite different.

By the way, what year is your Model Y? Have you owned any other Tesla besides a Model Y?

Last edited:
By the way, what year is your Model Y? Have you owned any other Tesla besides a Model Y?

As stated in the footer of every post I make, I have a 2022 MYLR which was manufactured Dec 2021

I have also owned an early 90's MR2 which tended to suffer from a resonant groan at 67 mph - I led a group of enthusiasts with stethescopes and girlfriends to isolate it to a bit of trim in the passenger wheel well liner that could be screwed or glued down to great satisfaction.

I owned an early 2003 SL500 which was infamous for coffee-grinding noises at startup from the SBC braking pump that could be minimized with a bit of foam insulation.

I had a late model GS450H who's otherwise delightfully silent cabin was disturbed by wind noise from the sunroof area. With fellow enthusiasts we located an updated sunroof gasket part that was a fraction of a millimeter larger, we even located the oem source for it at $18, and crafted clever instructions on how to replace it without dismantling the entire roof area.

At no time did my enthusiasm for these cars cause me to rant about it or make a protest website - I worked with fellow enthusiasts to LEARN and cure the issue. Calmly. Intelligently.

A constant hum should be trivial to locate - no girlfriend hanging out the passenger window with a stethescope required :)

As stated in the footer of every post I make, I have a 2022 MYLR which was manufactured Dec 2021

I have also owned an early 90's MR2 which tended to suffer from a resonant groan at 67 mph - I led a group of enthusiasts with stethescopes and girlfriends to isolate it to a bit of trim in the passenger wheel well liner that could be screwed or glued down to great satisfaction.

I owned an early 2003 SL500 which was infamous for coffee-grinding noises at startup from the SBC braking pump that could be minimized with a bit of foam insulation.

I had a late model GS450H who's otherwise delightfully silent cabin was disturbed by wind noise from the sunroof area. With fellow enthusiasts we located an updated sunroof gasket part that was a fraction of a millimeter larger, we even located the oem source for it at $18, and crafted clever instructions on how to replace it without dismantling the entire roof area.

At no time did my enthusiasm for these cars cause me to rant about it or make a protest website - I worked with fellow enthusiasts to LEARN and cure the issue. Calmly. Intelligently.

A constant hum should be trivial to locate - no girlfriend hanging out the passenger window with a stethescope required :)

Ok, I guess either your Model Y doesn't have this issue or you haven't had the chance to drive a completely quiet Tesla. All the Teslas I have owned, and driven (I have driven a lot of them, rented, loaned, etc), none of them had this issue. All of sudden, I got my Model Y last June and had this terrible noise. I tried other Model Ys, and some of them had it, others didn't. It's an issue randomly affecting the last 10-12 months of produced cars. Some people don't have it. Other people don't even realize to have it. Other people have it so loud that they can't stand it. Many people have sold their cars because of this problem. It's a serious problem and should be taken seriously.

• Helpful
Reactions: MR F

Mine makes some interesting noises while supercharging too!

My 2021 MY LR had the humming noise when I bought it but it was nowhere near as loud as some of the others posted about in this thread. Mine was louder than it should be but not loud enough to really bother me, so I took delivery anyway. I now have 4400 miles on it and the noise has actually lessened over time, it's not as profound as it was on delivery day. Maybe the pumps broke in a bit?

Either way I love my car and I'm happier than a clam in water.

Reactions: fablau

Thanks.

you sure? after it falls asleep, it is quiet.

Do the latest model 3's and y's in Europe (China/Germany) have the same problem ?

Yes, several people have the same problem in Europe. You can have an idea of the people having the problem by looking at the list at the bottom of my webpage (the petition "signers"):