TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

[POLL] Does your Service Center wash your car? Do they do a good job?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by brianstorms, Jan 8, 2014.

?

Are you happy with the results of a Service Center car wash?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2014.
  1. They do a great job, it's like a detailing! No complaints.

37 vote(s)
    50.7%
  2. So-so job; they leave marks, swirls, dirty spots, car still wet, etc.

25 vote(s)
    34.2%
  3. They didn't offer a complimentary wash

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  4. Told them not to wash the car

8 vote(s)
    11.0%
  1. brianstorms

brianstorms Member

#1 brianstorms, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
    I am curious what folks think of the quality of the complimentary car washing that TSC's often do for their customers. Thought I'd run a poll.

2. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

The last time, my NON SWIRL car looked like the wiped it down with fine grit sand paper. Never had a swirl before that, now entire car is covered.

3. dave

dave Member

I watched them drive it through a local soft cloth car wash from the app...

4. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

My Roadster came back from the Rocklin service center rivaling the last detail I'd had done. It was glowing.

5. v12 to 12v

v12 to 12v Active Member

The first time I had it in the Service Center it came out with a great wax job.... except for the big white swirls that I haven't been able to get off the plastic parts along the sides of the car along the bottom. How does one get that off safely?

The second time the car in the shop it was for the one year service. They did a wash... kinda sorta. I was hoping that they might try to get the white wax off the car. But, they had trouble with a basic quick wash and missed spots bigger than a good sized squash. I just thought to myself, "why bother?"

6. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

That So-so option seems like a poor job and the detailing sounds like an excellent job. I would have just said it was a good job, very clean and much appreciated, but not like they spent the time to do a detailing.

7. dave

dave Member

This actually upset me a little bit as I had owned the car for a year and had only ever HAND washed it. Then I pulled up the app and saw them driving it through a car wash... It's been to cold to check if there are any swirl marks or damage.

8. jhs_7645

jhs_7645 VIN: #3305

Our service center has a detailer on site. They do an excellent job.

9. MarkR

MarkR Member

It's not quite as good as detailing, but a pretty good wash.

I can't fathom that Tesla would EVER put a car through a soft cloth car wash. I learned, too late, that those 'soft' cloths contain much of the abrasive grit from the previous thousand cars that passed through and will create the micro scratches that we hate!

I sold my first MS partly because the dark blue color was hard to keep clean and partly because I couldn't stand to see the scratches created by one trip through a soft cloth car wash.

10. brianstorms

brianstorms Member

I am surprised to see that 37% of respondents so far say they've gotten so-so/problematic car cleanings at Tesla Service Centers. Seems like this an area Tesla still needs to work on. Paging, Jerome....

11. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

For me they do in between a great job and a so-so job but I voted as great.
    They are usually time constrained and have sometimes not done any wash.

12. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

+1!
    Too much of a gap between choices.

- - - Updated - - -

You can't draw that conclusion as you don't have an option for "Great job washing the car but it isn't a detailing job".

13. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

My cars have never been to a SC !

14. wraithnot

wraithnot Model S VIN #5785

I brought a very dirty Model S to the San Rafael service center on December 2nd. They gave me a fantastic P85 loner and when they returned my car, it was spotless inside and out. This included getting every last strand of white dog hair out of the cargo area and completely cleaning all the gunk out of my 19" wheels. They also did a great job of fixing the car (drive unit replacement due to 65 mph hum, creaking A pillar, windshield replacement due to crack caused by fixing A pillar, loose door trim, loose trim under rear seat, creaking steering, and dead spider in tail light). The first time I took the car to San Rafael things didn't go very smoothly. But they really seem to have gotten their act together. The superb service keeps me an extremely satisfied owner despite the fairly long list of minor issues.

15. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

The Dallas SC has a detailer on site, I guess my car has been in 3 or 4 times, most recently this week for the annual service, but they didn't have time to wash it this time around. On other occasions it's been an OK job, but certainly not a 'detail'.

I left there thinking that the SC is a little bit 'bleak', compared to Merc, Lexus, Audi etc. I get/assume that it's supposed to be minimalist, but it could still be a lot nicer than it is. For example, there's an old-style Tesla logo on the wall (the shield), I'm not sure the fridge had anything in it aside from water, and there's no obvious wifi. There's no real branding message, or consistency. I honestly don't really care about this stuff, but current owners of competing brands are used to those kinds of facilities (understanding that they're in a 'dealership' model, with all the markup that provides for some of these niceties).

Service is great, environment could be better.

16. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

They are somewhere between so-so and great so I voted so-so. On a silver car with paint armour, it's hard to see swirls, but you can see the swirls on the glass. They do get the carpet very clean, so overall I'm pleased.

And yes, the only thing in the Dallas fridge is water. The silliest thing in the Service Centre is the 15" wheels on display.

17. ddenboer

ddenboer MODEL X #1770

I've never seen mine go to a car wash, but there have been a few bad washes, some missed washes, and some great washes. Hit or miss.
    What is ALWAYS miss though is the interior of the windshield. It always comes out worse than when it went in -- I keep it clean every day and can't abide by streaks inside.

18. dave

dave Member

How many times has your car been to the service center?? I'm a little concerned with the the experience people have in this regard, indicating that they have had multiple service issues on a brand new car!

19. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

I've had it in for the annual service, steering clicking, door handle replacement...going in again next week for TPMS fix as well as front defroster retrofit. I'd say the door handle was the worst issue since it was the driver's door.

20. wraithnot

wraithnot Model S VIN #5785

I'm willing to bet the earlier cars tend to have more service issues than cars coming off the assemble line right now. I've had a bunch of minor issues, but I paid less for my car and I've been able to enjoy it longer than if I'd waited for Tesla to work out most of the bugs. I'd make the same decision again in a heartbeat!