Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[POLL] Does your Service Center wash your car? Do they do a good job?

Are you happy with the results of a Service Center car wash?

• They do a great job, it's like a detailing! No complaints.

Votes: 37 50.7%
  • So-so job; they leave marks, swirls, dirty spots, car still wet, etc.

Votes: 25 34.2%
  • They didn't offer a complimentary wash

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Told them not to wash the car

Votes: 8 11.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've used the ranger service (St. Louis) a number of times now (6 or 7?) and about 1/2 the time they "detail" it for me. I haven't really seen issues with swirls or anything, and the car is certainly "clean", but it really doesn't come to me looking like it's had a full on "detail". I'm not about to complain other than I wish they'd wash it every time it goes up for service.

The Dallas SC has a detailer on site, I guess my car has been in 3 or 4 times, most recently this week for the annual service, but they didn't have time to wash it this time around. On other occasions it's been an OK job, but certainly not a 'detail'.

I left there thinking that the SC is a little bit 'bleak', compared to Merc, Lexus, Audi etc. I get/assume that it's supposed to be minimalist, but it could still be a lot nicer than it is. For example, there's an old-style Tesla logo on the wall (the shield), I'm not sure the fridge had anything in it aside from water, and there's no obvious wifi. There's no real branding message, or consistency. I honestly don't really care about this stuff, but current owners of competing brands are used to those kinds of facilities (understanding that they're in a 'dealership' model, with all the markup that provides for some of these niceties).

Service is great, environment could be better.

I agree with this completely - At Dallas they have given me the "didn't have time to wash it" line, returned it still wet with a poor wash, and one good wash on my 3 trips so far. Going in for annual service next week, so we'll see if its getting better or worse.

I also agree that the lobby looks unfinished - I walked through it before it opened and it really hasn't changed (looked unfinished then too). It's really sad because there is no gallery in Dallas so this is the face of Tesla in DFW.

Fortunately, the people there are first rate and very responsive. Overall, I have been very happy with the service from Tesla.

How many times has your car been to the service center?? I'm a little concerned with the the experience people have in this regard, indicating that they have had multiple service issues on a brand new car!

Two times for tire rotation.

Once for some TSB updates.

Once for alignment.

Once to replace the UMC (charge cable). This is kind of stretching the definition of "taking the car in" because I just stopped to drop off the old and pick up the new UMC.

Really, my Model S has been quite reliable over the 16,500 miles I've driven it so far. The VW TDI had issues almost every month and cost a fortune in maintenance (22 cents per mile).

In a car forum, most posts fall into a few categories:

1. Help with problems.

2. Delivery.

3. General company matters.

So what you'll mostly see is complaints about this or that. Actually this forum is different in that there are numerous threads on positive experiences--unusual in a car forum.

- - - Updated - - -

Fortunately, the people there are first rate and very responsive. Overall, I have been very happy with the service from Tesla.

^^^ This.

I was the Foursquare mayor for a couple of months at the Dallas SC, but I think I had 3 visits in close succession to fix the sunroof squeaks (no longer an issue with production cars) and I've had 2 handles replaced. Those handles must really be biting Tesla, I fully expect to eventually replace all four, but since mine was a fairly early car, I had the V1 handles. I assume the more recent versions are less temperamental. In any case, the car is reliable, some issues are to be expected especially for a fairly early VIN, I think we all knew that at the time.

Hopefully the Model X won't have any party tricks....oh, wait....!

and I've had 2 handles replaced. Those handles must really be biting Tesla

I've actually had no problem with my old style handles. I'm also not in any hurry to replace them because the lights in the new style look odd because they are partly covered. I'm hoping by the time mine need replacement, this will be fixed. Then again, maybe they won't ever need replacement.

I would like to update on my first post about the bad wash job last time. I just picked up my car today from the new Highland Park service center. They sent my vehicle to a detail shop. AMAZING JOB! And I mean, HOLY CRAP MY CAR LOOKS FREAKING GREAT! That good! +1000 for Tesla Service. Service is the absolute best I've ever dealt with in my life! Just too bad it's slushy nasty roads :(

Most of my service was done via Ranger, and they've never washed it. I've had a good wash in Toronto, but door handles failed after the wash and they got a lot of palm prints on the car replacing them. D'oh.

The wash I had in Montreal last week looked very good, but I noticed the windows and mirrors were streaky. To be fair it was incredibly dirty when they got it!

Last edited:
I brought a very dirty Model S to the San Rafael service center on December 2nd. They gave me a fantastic P85 loner and when they returned my car, it was spotless inside and out. This included getting every last strand of white dog hair out of the cargo area and completely cleaning all the gunk out of my 19" wheels.
Today my three-week-old car is in to address a fairly long list of minor issues. We just returned from an 18-day road trip, and even though I washed the car during the trip, it is now covered with bugs again. I am hoping that they will wash it & clean all the bugs off. I did not ask about washing the car when I dropped it off. It is raining here today, but I'd prefer that they wash it anyway. If they don't wash it then I will have to find time to hand wash it before the weekend when I am busy trying to get caught up at work (and at home) after vacation.

Due to the drought in CA, very few companies wash cars anymore including Tesla Service Centers.... except Sunnyvale (don't know why). Imagine my surprise then when my car came back much dirtier than I left it, after being washed after my first service with them. I had to spend an extra two hours getting out all of the hard water spots as they did a horrible job drying it.

I now have a note in my account not to wash it of which I will remind them every time I drop it off.

I'd never let them wash the car. In fact when picking up the car new, I nearly told them to leave the white plastic wrap on and my detailer would take care of it.

Now it's PPF'd and nanocoated, with the latter coming with a rear view mirror hanger which explicitly states not to wash the car.

Our local service center washes the cars at the end of service.

And while that's a nice benefit - I'll have to rewash the windows today, because it looks like they used window cleaner on the windows - which leaves a film - which I can get off by using water and a microfiber cloth.

My first a service center appointment is next Wednesday. I think I will tell them not to wash it. They put some fine swirl marks on it already with their so called detail job just before I picked it up delivery day. I pointed this out to them and they said they owe me a real detailing. If they are doing the work I think I will pass. I knew what I was getting into when I ordered a black car. I love it and have no regrets, but I think I'm definitely getting the full Xpel wrap soon.