Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Does your X have the "Shudder" issue?

What Model X do you have and does it have the "shudder" problem?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
D

Doc Brown

So - I'm seeing several posts with people complaining of the shudder problem, where others say they don't have the issue. I figured I'd start a non-scientific poll to see if it's more common on certain X variants . . .

For those that have the shudder - what wheels and tires are you running?

Add an option that says had shudder and was fixed with recommended repair. I fall under that one. Shudder was there and is now gone.

How long have you been driving with the fix? Which version?

The fix may not work equally on all models (or be available for all models, I've seen posts of folks sent home with Ravens with "we're investigating, we added you to a list,) so I don't think one "it got fixed" option is enough.

Maybe if the poll is multiple choice, add a "and Tesla Fixed it and it worked" and "and Tesla fixed it, but it came back" (I've read of cases of that) options for folks to check in addition to the car model and having a shudder not instead?

Reactions: carguy84
My fix was about 6,000 miles ago and is still good. The fix was claimed to be a recent bulletin and parts. I could post the exact kit and bullet number. Maybe that will help identify a real fix if there have been more than one.

Edit: added the service order for the fix.
Shudder fix.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Saghost
Late 2018 pre Raven X 75D on stock 20” slipstream wheels and Continental tires. My fix appointment is coming up in two weeks. I made the appointment in the app. They pushed it out a few weeks to await parts. I have haven’t spoken to anybody yet but am optimistic it’s getting fixed since I’m waiting for parts.

I've got a 2017 90D and first had "series B" parts used as replacements parts to fix the shudder. Went back in to service center roughly 2 months ago and they used "D series" parts and it has not returned. I believe this is the "permanent fix"

I'm running 20" wheels. Had the Conti's and replaced with Perrelli Scorpions at 25k miles. Had the shudder with the Conti's. Tesla replaced the half shafts and clevis. All seems good at any ride height. I'm at about 45k miles now.

They just ordered the parts to fix the shudder in my P90D. I believe he said motor mount and an axel part. I should be going in the next week to have the work done. I'll let you guys know how it goes. The ranger did say they've done a handful in town with great results!

Reactions: wreighven
Interesting results in the poll. I've read about folks with both the S and X having shudder issues - even after the most recent TSB fixes. Some have it reoccur over and over - which suggests it's not the clevis and/or half shafts in those cars.

My MX didn't get delivered by year end - and I'm still waiting. I'm hoping Tesla figures out what's at the root of the problem and gets a reliable and permanent fix.