Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Does your X have the "Shudder" issue?

What Model X do you have and does it have the "shudder" problem?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took my MX in last week (2020 Raven w/ 4200 miles) they refused to do any work for the shudder. Was told engineering knows about the problem with the Ravens but do not have a solution. I'll see if it gets worse, the worst thing about this problem is at times it has a mechanical clunking which I fear will get worse over time.

Took my MX in last week (2020 Raven w/ 4200 miles) they refused to do any work for the shudder. Was told engineering knows about the problem with the Ravens but do not have a solution. I'll see if it gets worse, the worst thing about this problem is at times it has a mechanical clunking which I fear will get worse over time.
I picked my car up from service today and the noise/shudder is gone. Both front axles were replaced. I had to be very persistent, and told the manager I would persue arbitration if nothing was done. Just something to keep in mind. Now just hoping the problem stays fixed.

10k Miles, 2019 Mid Summer Raven and we have the shudder only when accelerating aggressively between 30-50 mph. Honestly, we aren't accelerating aggressively that often and otherwise the car has been amazing, so unless for some reason this car shuts down completely because of it (and I have yet to see a report where the shudder issue caused a major accident or death), we aren't going to replace it until near the end of our warranty period.

I have a 2019 Raven X, delivered Aug 2019. It has 9,000 miles and we have "lived with" the shudder problem since around 3k or 4k miles. First time I heard it, it was raining and I thought the car was trying to get traction. Now it's around more than it's not, used to be much more intermittent.

We are now selling the car, not because of this issue, but because it's too small for our needs now. We love the car!

Does something as common as the shudder issues seems to be, need to be disclosed to new buyers? If you were buying it, how much would you knock off your purchase offer knowing about the issue?

Tesla Service center in Kansas City did not want to come look at the car because they said it was a known issue and Tesla is working on it. I insisted that they send a mobile tech (i'm 3.5 hours away from Service Center) because I wanted them to hear and confirm the issue. Mobile tech came and agreed it should not be happening and Tesla has "talking points" of 1) They (Tesla) knows about the issue 2) It's safe to drive 3) They are working on a repair and will fix it for me or the future buyer.

What would you do if you needed to sell with this issue?

Drive in low suspension is bs, it’s a lemon if you can’t use it for its intended purpose as an suv with adjustable suspension as advertised ... threaten arbitration.
It can't be fixed. It's a design failure. Tesla has not being able to get their act straight since the X was launched. Service Center tech's are replacing front axles faster and more often than Trump replaces people in his administration.
So what should I do? Return the car and get a refund? What car will I buy as an alternative?

Last edited:
We must wait until they find a proper solution.

You're assuming they are actively working on a solution ... and assuming they are going to "reach out to you" and let you know ... Tesla's lawyers and bean counters aren't going to let them admit there's a problem that would force a recall ...

It could be they have just decided to continue replacing parts for those that won't take no for an answer and "we're working on it" is just an easy way to pacify.

Now if it made headlines that 25% of owners had this issue and Tesla was just ignoring it, that would speed things along quite nicely ...

I can tell you now that I'll gladly be the squeaky wheel if this comes back and I'm told to just deal with it. I had the issue on every suspension level and it's annoying and embarrassing. A design flaw is just that, a flaw. If it's a known issue and there's no permanent fix for it, then that needs to be disclosed to the owner PRIOR to purchase. I can certainly tell you that I wouldn't have purchased it with a known issue like that. Cosmetics is one thing, a performance imperfection is another.

Raven MX LR, 22s, shudder is happening ... except in Very Low suspension setting... but it does not bother my wife (MX is her daily driver) as she does not have a lead foot... I do have one but I have an ICE for a daily driver...
It is definitely a design failure as Tesla limits the torque under heavy acceleration from a dead stop, except when you are in Very Low suspension setting... this is just to limit tear and wear on the suspension components... it is BS... if the suspension cant handle full torgue, redesign it.

Please my posts in the link below for more details:

Acceleration numbers on MX Raven Long Range...

Interesting thread.

We have a 2019 Raven X Performance.
Delivered in late September.
Seemed fine at first but we started to feel the shudder within about 3k miles (halfway through our road trip).
At 7k miles the shudder was very noticeable so we scheduled service (back from our road trip).
In late November Orlando SC fixed it. The comment on the service invoice says:
"Replace LH Front Drive Unit Clevis Mount And Both Front Halfshafts (Model X)"
I don't see the Clevis Mount listed in the parts (see screenshot below).
I noticed on the invoice that someone else uploaded it did show the clevis mount in the list.
Maybe that one wasn't a Raven?

We've been pretty careful to only accelerate hard when the suspension is on "Very Low" since the repair, but the shudder is back.
Bad on anything but Very Low, but now becoming more and more noticeable even on Very Low.

I've made another appointment, but I'm hoping to have some dialog with someone in the service center before I actually spend the time and effort to take it in, about an hour and a half each way.

Thanks to those that have taken the time to post on this issue. It's been very useful to me.

I'm a big Tesla fan, but it's lot of money to spend on a car that shakes like the beaters I went back and forth to college in.
I'll work with them, but I sure wish they'd communicate better.
Other than this issue, we love the MX.

We have a Model 3P as well. It's smooth as silk. I love that car, so fun to drive.
Cybertruck on order. I sure hope it doesn't have the shudder issue!

upload_2020-2-25_21-56-20.png

Under hard acceleration, and especially when "cold" (sitting overnight), I hear a ticking/knocking sound coming from my left front wheel. Is this what is meant by the "Shudder?" Note that I don't feel any shaking movement that I would normally call a shudder, it just makes the noise. 2020 Ravel X LR Delivered late Dec 2019.

Looking at the votes tallied, it appears it's really a toss up whether an X that one buys will have or will not have shudder issues. Small n, but it similarly affects all X's. All performance, non-performance, Raven, and pre-Raven are affected.

Looking at the votes tallied, it appears it's really a toss up whether an X that one buys will have or will not have shudder issues. Small n, but it similarly affects all X's. All performance, non-performance, Raven, and pre-Raven are affected.

And - it may be that some that don't have the shudder don't drive their cars hard . . . .

It is interesting that it's a problem across variants. It just seems as though the half shaft constant velocity joints weren't designed (or built) to handle significant torque at higher angles - where the suspension is raised - for extended periods of time. If the problem is the joint - the clevis mount fix will never solve the problem.