Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Does your X have the "Shudder" issue?

What Model X do you have and does it have the "shudder" problem?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It just seems as though the half shaft constant velocity joints weren't designed (or built) to handle significant torque at higher angles - where the suspension is raised - for extended periods of time. If the problem is the joint - the clevis mount fix will never solve the problem.

According to a SC Tech I talked to, that is exactly what the problem is, besides there being an issue with the motor-mounts / clevis-mounts. The CV-Joints are too weak once they "bend" beyond a certain angle. That is why driving in "low" or "very low" makes such a difference.

According to a SC Tech I talked to, that is exactly what the problem is, besides there being an issue with the motor-mounts / clevis-mounts. The CV-Joints are too weak once they "bend" beyond a certain angle. That is why driving in "low" or "very low" makes such a difference.

That's interesting because the Tesla Service Bulletin SB-19-39-001 (attached) for this problem puts is squarely on the clevis mounts and characterizes it as an NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness) issue that does not affect steering, functionality, braking, or acceleration. If it actually puts stress on the constant velocity joint itself - that would undoubtedly, at some point, affect functionality / acceleration.

It's also interesting that the Service Bulletin doesn't mention anything about suspension height when testing for the vibration.

Attachments

• MC-10162295-9999.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 69
2019 MX LR Raven, absolutely no shudder here when accelerating at full throttle on Medium, Low and Very low suspension.
One of the first ravens delivered in Norway (June 30, 2019).

The car has been wonderful and only minor issues with one chrome fitting by the driver mirror that were loose that they took care of fast.

I just bought a used 2017 Model X 90D and def has the shudder in standard or higher suspension setting. A little shudder in low or very low. Does the drivetrain warranty cover the shudder issues since it deals with CV joints? Have $60k on it so not sure if half shafts have already need replaced or not.

I just bought a used 2017 Model X 90D and def has the shudder in standard or higher suspension setting. A little shudder in low or very low. Does the drivetrain warranty cover the shudder issues since it deals with CV joints? Have $60k on it so not sure if half shafts have already need replaced or not.
I've seen it argued that they should because it would be part of the drivetrain in any other vehicle, but I've also seen it stated that they do not (possibly in the same thread). Unfortunately, I'd be hard-pressed to find that thread.

Your poll might be measuring how many of each model exist out there (or on this forum thread). What it does not measure is the percentage of each version of the vehicle that has (or had) shudder, which is what I think you were hoping to find out. It is probably a hard question to answer, and even harder to get answered through a single poll question.