Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] Drag race of the century - Rimac EV hypercar vs Porsche 918 Hypercar

Rimac Concept One (EV hyper car) vs Porsche 918 (ICE hyper car). What's your bet?

• Rimac will win the race with a huge margin, no doubt!

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Rimac will win for sure, but only slightly ahead

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • Rimac likely beat the Porsche given it already beat the Ferrari

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Not sure. I know these cars very well, but I think it can go either way.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Not sure. I don't know about the specs of these cars to make a judgement

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nah..none of them. Tesla P100DL is faster

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Porsche likely beat Rimac

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Porsche will win for sure, but only slightly ahead

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Porsche will win the race with a huge margin. ICE hypercar is still king!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care who won the 1/4 mile. I want they to race on a real race track.

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A modded tesla, so called 'ring edition, would be costly, but i would hazard to say that the market exists. Anyone into advance materials science and electrical engineering should be able to solve these problems, and on paper create a model and business case for tesla hypercar, matching track performance of a ICE hypercar and costing nearly the same-- no harm in turning a profit...

I know someone who makes cooling packs, and they can be made to be very cold... just sayin' if you want to compare apples to apples, a modded tesla vs. hypercar, nitrogen or helium can be used for short bursts of supercooling ( and may be get superconductivity, briefly.... )

I'm thinking what's needed here is a practical evaporative cooling solution, like a heat pipe or heat pump. Otherwise it's pretty hard to transfer enough heat fast enough.

If the heating issue with electric motor's stator is solved, then a racing version of Tesla is possible.

I think so, yes. At least the latest telemetry we saw on the forum seemed like motor heating was the only real bottleneck right now.

Cooling a stator shouldn't be that hard - the hard part (and the place I'm thinking evaporative cooling may be needed) is cooling the rotor.

Reactions: larmor
918 isn't too consistent, i've been at the track with one, and raced one in my 650S, lots of variables.....

Yes it did! while the time was 9.9 they did say he set 3 times higher than the 918's best time. The 918 has posted 9.8 before, so why the slightly slower time? The drivers? AND the 918 was on trofeo R's, don't know what the rimac was on but it certainly was not that.

• Informative
Reactions: ggnykk
Yes it did! while the time was 9.9 they did say he set 3 times higher than the 918's best time. The 918 has posted 9.8 before, so why the slightly slower time? The drivers? AND the 918 was on trofeo R's, don't know what the rimac was on but it certainly was not that.
what was the trap speed of the Rimac at 9.9 second? 148 mph I am guessing?

Trofeo R is the most aggressive tires you can get for any supercars, even stickier than Michelin pilot cup sport 2. So if anything, it helps the 918.

what was the trap speed of the Rimac at 9.9 second? 148 mph I am guessing?

Trofeo R is the most aggressive tires you can get for any supercars, even stickier than Michelin pilot cup sport 2. So if anything, it helps the 918.
They did not say the trap speed on the run but the 918 was not catching it as the rimac was still barely pulling away by the end of the 1/4. Yes that's what im saying, the 918 was on trofeo r's and while I don't think they said the rimac's tires, they did have the hood up in one shot where you could get a good look at the tire and tbh it looked like an all season tire.

Still don't know why the 918 was setting times in the 10's with trofeo r's when on cup 2's it has set 9.8. Again maybe drivers? Mr rimac said in the vid that he has never raced on a drag racing surface in is life sooo.......

They did not say the trap speed on the run but the 918 was not catching it as the rimac was still barely pulling away by the end of the 1/4. Yes that's what im saying, the 918 was on trofeo r's and while I don't think they said the rimac's tires, they did have the hood up in one shot where you could get a good look at the tire and tbh it looked like an all season tire.

Still don't know why the 918 was setting times in the 10's with trofeo r's when on cup 2's it has set 9.8. Again maybe drivers? Mr rimac said in the vid that he has never raced on a drag racing surface in is life sooo.......
the atmospheric condition can affect an ICE performance greatly. That's probably why 918 didn't win.

the atmospheric condition can affect an ICE performance greatly. That's probably why 918 didn't win.
True. Although the rimac still may win in perfect atmospheric conditions if it had the trofeo's. If it does have all season tires or even just a mid range performance summer tire like the pilot super sport, the grip level jump to trofeo's would be crazy.

I am curious to know what tires the Rimac has as well.
And I really want to know what the trap speed was because it gives a slight indication (I know it does not fully demonstrate it) of higher up acceleration like highway roll racing and when you come out of corners already at high speed on a track and on the track straightaways. I would guess around 2 or so mph higher on the rimac based on the video. If the race were to keep going to say the standing half or standing mile, we can look at 0-186 mph for each: 918-19.9 and the rimac-14.2 according to rimac. Because the front electric motor on the 918 does not have a second gear it disconnects at 160 to avoid over revving. So after the quarter the rimac would continue to pull at almost the same rate (the power still starts to fall off once it starts to get going really fast, I would guess around 180-190 or so it starts) while the 918's rate of acceleration would slow every time it shifts and really slow when the front motor disconnects because it's losing a lot of hp. We can use the p1 as another example for the 0-186 as its motor never disconnects. It does 0-186 in 16.5.

And I really want to know what the trap speed was because it gives a slight indication (I know it does not fully demonstrate it) of higher up acceleration like highway roll racing and when you come out of corners already at high speed on a track and on the track straightaways. I would guess around 2 or so mph higher on the rimac based on the video. If the race were to keep going to say the standing half or standing mile, we can look at 0-186 mph for each: 918-19.9 and the rimac-14.2 according to rimac. Because the front electric motor on the 918 does not have a second gear it disconnects at 160 to avoid over revving. So after the quarter the rimac would continue to pull at almost the same rate (the power still starts to fall off once it starts to get going really fast, I would guess around 180-190 or so it starts) while the 918's rate of acceleration would slow every time it shifts and really slow when the front motor disconnects because it's losing a lot of hp. We can use the p1 as another example for the 0-186 as its motor never disconnects. It does 0-186 in 16.5.
I bet Rimac trap speed is right around 145 to 148 mph. Since almost all of the hypercars that cross the 1/4 mile in 9.8 to 10 second have that trap speed.

So Rimac won, well that was expected after Archie's video against LaFerrari, anyway its great to see positive comments about whole EV movement. I will try to help you guys at least little:

Here you can see top speed of Ferrari from Archie's video clip which is around 148 mph, so Rimac should be over that (on that video) since he was in front:

uR3FJN8.jpg

In here you can see tires which he used in that race:

9ktBn7W.jpg

And this I found on official Pirelli site this picture which could match (also I heard that Rimac uses Pirelli special version tires for his car), it seems he used them against LaFerrari.

zXbcAHA.jpg

Here is mph to kmh converter so that you dont loose time to convert on your own I already converted 148mph into kph for you.

bdrOoWO.jpg

About video, sadly I cant help you, because I have not saw it, so I could not catch that, but if you have professional tool, you can catch tires on Rimac Concept One in Salomondrin's promo (pre-race) video, around 6:10 -> 6:20.

Anyway hope this help you.

So Rimac won, well that was expected after Archie's video against LaFerrari, anyway its great to see positive comments about whole EV movement. I will try to help you guys at least little:

Here you can see top speed of Ferrari from Archie's video clip which is around 148 mph, so Rimac should be over that (on that video) since he was in front:

uR3FJN8.jpg

In here you can see tires which he used in that race:

9ktBn7W.jpg

And this I found on official Pirelli site this picture which could match (also I heard that Rimac uses Pirelli special version tires for his car), it seems he used them against LaFerrari.

zXbcAHA.jpg

Here is mph to kmh converter so that you dont loose time to convert on your own I already converted 148mph into kph for you.

bdrOoWO.jpg

About video, sadly I cant help you, because I have not saw it, so I could not catch that, but if you have professional tool, you can catch tires on Rimac Concept One in Salomondrin's promo (pre-race) video, around 6:10 -> 6:20.

Anyway hope this help you.
thanks for the info!
The video of the race will be out in two weeks for free, according to the person who made the video.

No problem. Happy to help.

Also, I saw how new Tesla P100D smashed Lambo in drag race. It's officially, EV cars rock! If they reduce total weight of car in close future to cca 1400-1500 kg, I am preety much sure that's it, since quality of batteries increases anyway and I am sure price of those will go down.

Its EV time!