Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] Drag race of the century - Rimac EV hypercar vs Porsche 918 Hypercar

Rimac Concept One (EV hyper car) vs Porsche 918 (ICE hyper car). What's your bet?

• Rimac will win the race with a huge margin, no doubt!

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Rimac will win for sure, but only slightly ahead

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • Rimac likely beat the Porsche given it already beat the Ferrari

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Not sure. I know these cars very well, but I think it can go either way.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Not sure. I don't know about the specs of these cars to make a judgement

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nah..none of them. Tesla P100DL is faster

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Porsche likely beat Rimac

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Porsche will win for sure, but only slightly ahead

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Porsche will win the race with a huge margin. ICE hypercar is still king!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care who won the 1/4 mile. I want they to race on a real race track.

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No problem. Happy to help.

Also, I saw how new Tesla P100D smashed Lambo in drag race. It's officially, EV cars rock! If they reduce total weight of car in close future to cca 1400-1500 kg, I am preety much sure that's it, since quality of batteries increases anyway and I am sure price of those will go down.

Its EV time!
I was right! All season tires. What you think it could do with the trofeo's? I bought the video so I've seen it. It was still barely pulling away from the 918 when they crossed the line. The 918 actually pulled away at the very beginning which I think points directly to the tire difference. The fact that the rimac was actually pulling away at the end also shows the need for a second gear in performance ev's.

I was right! All season tires. What you think it could do with the trofeo's? I bought the video so I've seen it. It was still barely pulling away from the 918 when they crossed the line. The 918 actually pulled away at the very beginning which I think points directly to the tire difference. The fact that the rimac was actually pulling away at the end also shows the need for a second gear in performance ev's.

I am sure it was worth the money, even if is half attractive as video with LaFerrari. I was wondering what is so special with 918! Until I saw drag race against La Ferrari and P1! That car smashed all other hypercars, and I was speechless? Then again when I saw P1 in acceleration I was speechless???? And then when I saw La Ferrari on the track I understood that his supercool design must be in such balance for track because he must be best somewhere too. So I understand why people adore those 3 cars, and now I understand why people asked drag race against 918! Based on seen, harder could not be for Rimac Concept One!

About gearbox you can see more on their website, they (Rimac) have single and two speed systems (but you probably know that) + a lot of other stuff explained. I see you guys understand drag + other stuff a lot, what is cool (I will learn something since I am from Europe).

But I wonder how it would look on track + drag race when it comes to Concept S (hope they will launch at some point that beast), because it will have a lot better aerodynamics package, which should be able to kick some ass on track. I am preety sure it would be able to track extreme cars like Ferrari FXX K + McLaren GTR or at least I hope so. If not, there is one "over that" beast from Pikes Peak - insane single seater!!!! If that comes ever on drag race or racing track, there would be insane party.

I am sure it was worth the money, even if is half attractive as video with LaFerrari. I was wondering what is so special with 918! Until I saw drag race against La Ferrari and P1! That car smashed all other hypercars, and I was speechless? Then again when I saw P1 in acceleration I was speechless???? And then when I saw La Ferrari on the track I understood that his supercool design must be in such balance for track because he must be best somewhere too. So I understand why people adore those 3 cars, and now I understand why people asked drag race against 918! Based on seen, harder could not be for Rimac Concept One!

About gearbox you can see more on their website, they (Rimac) have single and two speed systems (but you probably know that) + a lot of other stuff explained. I see you guys understand drag + other stuff a lot, what is cool (I will learn something since I am from Europe).

But I wonder how it would look on track + drag race when it comes to Concept S (hope they will launch at some point that beast), because it will have a lot better aerodynamics package, which should be able to kick some ass on track. I am preety sure it would be able to track extreme cars like Ferrari FXX K + McLaren GTR or at least I hope so. If not, there is one "over that" beast from Pikes Peak - insane single seater!!!! If that comes ever on drag race or racing track, there would be insane party.
Yes two single speeds in the front and two dual speeds in the rear. This allows uninterrupted acceleration when shifting because the front motors keep pulling. Actually in second gear I believe the front and rear motors have the same ratio. But in first the rears have like a mid 9 ratio.

I highly agree. Would love to see them release the concept s. I mean when compared to the concept one it's got almost 300 more hp, weighs over 100lbs less, has 34% more downforce, and rimac puts trofeo r's on from the factory.

Sadly I don't know how well it would do on a track with any sort of length to it. I'm sure it would do good for one hero lap but I don't think it would be able to last long enough to be really competitive against the holy trinity. I just don't think it has enough energy.

But that will change in the future, have you heard on lithium air batteries that they are currently working on? If not I highly recommend you look them up. They say they are probably around 20 years until commercial use and then I would say 25 maybe 30 at the most(total from now) until the price comes down enough to be use on a large scale in a car and to be fully implemented and optimized. They are saying it could potentially offer up to 10x the energy density that we currently have. This would allow laptops to last up to a few days, phones to have the potential to last a week, but the big thing is for us car people, specifically performance car people(and truck people). Based on my math (I hope it's right:D) the concept s with its 82kwh battery outputting its 1mw of power would last around 4 min at full power. That's not very good. I believe the rimac's battery currently weighs around 1100lbs. With 10x energy density would allow you cut the battery (and the weight of it) in half and still have 5x the storage that we have now. So the concept s would weigh at least 500lbs less and be able to go 20min at full power! Doubling the time for tracking because your not always at full power and you would be looking at 40 min of tracking making 1mw!

Last edited:
Thanks for info, I have not know that (about gears - how they work in second gear, and how that affects on car). I will learn here cool stuff, what is always great thing since I love cars.

Yes, I was talking about 1-2 laps against those cars, only to setup fastest time, that should not be problem I guess. I am aware that we have to wait at least 5-10 years for full race results. But I heard something (I saw other people talking on comments) that Sanyo talks about superfast charging, if they can improve characteristics, that would be supercool. If manufacturers manage to lower down weight of batteries also, well that is top of top then!

Thanks for cool feedback. I am aware that 20-40 mins on track would be totally enough + realistic, since I saw on internet that Bugatti Super Sport 16.4 (I think) can drive only cca 15-20 mins with tank at full speed? So 20-40 mins should be preety competitive even on track, right?

But can you say more how e-formula's work? Sorry if I bother you, but somehow they must have long range, or they just change batteries during race, or they recharge every little? I am lazzy to explore :)

Also it seems that Rimac managed to drive cca 10 mins in 2014. and 2015, at Pikes Peak with this beast, so somehow they are competitive even now without charging? I know 10 mins is not full race, but its not actually too bad either. I am talking about this extreme racing machine which was made in co-operation with Tajima:

gFRPOzr.jpg

Thanks for info, I have not know that (about gears - how they work in second gear, and how that affects on car). I will learn here cool stuff, what is always great thing since I love cars.

Yes, I was talking about 1-2 laps against those cars, only to setup fastest time, that should not be problem I guess. I am aware that we have to wait at least 5-10 years for full race results. But I heard something (I saw other people talking on comments) that Sanyo talks about superfast charging, if they can improve characteristics, that would be supercool. If manufacturers manage to lower down weight of batteries also, well that is top of top then!

Thanks for cool feedback. I am aware that 20-40 mins on track would be totally enough + realistic, since I saw on internet that Bugatti Super Sport 16.4 (I think) can drive only cca 15-20 mins with tank at full speed? So 20-40 mins should be preety competitive even on track, right?

But can you say more how e-formula's work? Sorry if I bother you, but somehow they must have long range, or they just change batteries during race, or they recharge every little? I am lazzy to explore :)

Also it seems that Rimac managed to drive cca 10 mins in 2014. and 2015, at Pikes Peak with this beast, so somehow they are competitive even now without charging? I know 10 mins is not full race, but its not actually too bad either. I am talking about this extreme racing machine which was made in co-operation with Tajima:

gFRPOzr.jpg
Yes I believe the ratio of the front motors and the rears in second gear is 3.5. That means multiply the power 3.5x to get the power it's actually putting to the ground. And the rears in first is like a 9.5. Top speed in first is 100mph and 220mph is second.

I personally think it's going to take at least 20 years so we can get the lithium air batteries for it to be even as far as how long it can track and how much it weighs. In 5-10 years ev's may be able to track as long as ICE's, but they are still going to weigh a lot more. I think In 20-25 years, lithium air will allow tracking for as long and equal weight.

The Bugatti veyron super sport(don't know about to normal 16.4 one) will run out of gas at full power in 12 min, but you can't use that as a basis to judge all other engines because the Bugatti's engine is not fuel efficient at all, like single number city mpg ratings. Even engines like koenigsegg are more fuel efficient. Tracking you are not running at full power all the time because of turns. So you could probably roughly double the time to 24min for the veyron super sport when it's tracking.

Formula e does not charge mid race. Every team has 2 cars and they swap cars mid race.

Yes the concept e runner did last 10 min and it did really well but like I said, that's tracking. At constant full power it would be more like 5 min.

But like I said in 20+ years, lithium air with its 10x battery density will allow the concept s (1,350hp) 40 min tracking (20 min at constant full power) at half the weight that we have now which would put it on par with the weight that a engine has.

Thanks for reply, and great info. I just saw video of race, wow! Nice! Must say Porsche is insane car, on paper he should be weaker than P1 and La Ferrari (when you combine power and weight, right?), but its faster to 1/4 of mile, as I saw on some video. Impressive machine, that 2.5 sec to 100 km/h does job preety well :) !

What to say for Concept 1, wow, from start to finish impressive performance. No words, great machine. I was afraid what will be on such track, since such track had special conditions, just as Rimac said, but obviously torque vectoring did great job, and tires fit perfect to that car. Pirelli does great job for C1.

About batteries, WOW, even bigger wow, check this. So many innovations, maybe we can expect some super cool inovations faster? Starting with much lighter versions, much faster charging, and even those who will maybe never degrade????? Check this link, what do you guys think which version of future batteries has best lifetime, speed of charging & weight chances?

Future batteries, coming soon: charge in seconds, last months and power over the air - Pocket-lint

Thanks for reply, and great info. I just saw video of race, wow! Nice! Must say Porsche is insane car, on paper he should be weaker than P1 and La Ferrari (when you combine power and weight, right?), but its faster to 1/4 of mile, as I saw on some video. Impressive machine, that 2.5 sec to 100 km/h does job preety well :) !

The P1 and LaFerrari are both rear wheel drive. It's very hard to get them to connect up at the start of a quarter mile - neither has enough grip to put all of their power to the pavement until they get to freeway speeds.

The 918, on the other hand, is all wheel drive - it is able to put enough more power to the pavement to more than compensate for the greater weight of the car.

Race courses are an interesting contrast - at higher speeds the other two can out accelerate the 918, but on the corners the 918 pulls ahead, because it can put more power down sooner coming out of the corners.

Yes, that makes sense, totally. Thanks for explanation.

Basicly it would be supercool to see lap times of Rimac, I am aware that Concept 1 is more for sale, promotion, and full of technology so I understand why they are not so focused on tracks, its just demontration of power. Its designed as something what you will show to world, but what has insane spirit.

But I seriously want to see Concept S or Pikes Peak monster on track, those should (and are), designed for sure exactly for that. So cant wait. Those lap times should be preety good. I am aware 2 tons is not same as 1200kg, but it has some advantages. I want to know what electric hypercars can do on racing tracks.

We need more indicators + videos would be cool.

At 2:48 of this new video. The maker of the video confirm that Rimac was hitting 153 to 155 mph trap speed many times at 1/4 mile. While the Porsche 918 trap speed is around 143 to 144 mph. Again, multiple runs for each car to get these numbers. (note: Rimac's battery was never recharged between runs)

To put it in simple terms, the Porsche 918 would NEVER catch the Rimac even if the drag race is 1/2 mile long, or 1 mile long.

At 8:40, he confirm that 1/4 mile time of 918 at its best run was at 10.2 or 10.3 second. Rimac was at 9.9 second (shown in the original video)

Last edited:
Rimac Concept_One vs. Porsche 918 | Rimac Automobili

More details from Rimac about the race (see link above). Some highlights below:

- Out of the 6 proper runs we did, the Concept_One won all but one – when I did a mistake during launch.

- many people think that electric cars can do one or two proper runs before thermal limits start kicking in. We did eight runs (including two test runs) and the Concept_One was just getting faster and faster.

- The Concept_One was at 95% State of Charge before the first run and ended the last run with 72% SoC – plenty of juice for more runs.

- 7 radiators and a high-performance approach to designing all the different systems – batteries, motors, gearboxes and inverters – make sure that the performance doesn’t fade away too soon.

- we hope satisfy our fans hunger for more race-track action soon.