Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[POLL] ELDA users, what is your experience? (Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance)

As an owner on 2019.16.x, what is your experience with ELDA?

• I don't have enough miles to be fair. I'll change my vote later.

Votes: 22 12.0%
  • Haven't noticed it do anything at all

Votes: 58 31.5%
  • It has unsafely tried to correct my steering

Votes: 55 29.9%
  • It has safely corrected my poor steering

Votes: 49 26.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please only vote if you have 2019.16.x......
Lots of talk about Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance.

From Tesla's Blog....
Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance
Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance is designed to steer a Tesla vehicle back into the driving lane if our system detects that it is departing its lane and there could be a collision, or if the car is close to the edge of the road. This feature will automatically be enabled at the beginning of every drive, but can be turned off for a single drive by going to the Autopilot Controls menu.

lane-corrective-steering.jpg

At Tesla, improving safety is our primary goal, even after a customer purchases their car. That’s why we’re introducing these features beginning today via a free over-the-air software update, starting with Model 3 owners and gradually expanding to all cars that were built after October 2016. This is just another way that we are helping to protect Tesla drivers and passengers, and others on the road, every day

I hope that this is not too off topic.

On day four or five of ownership, the car ahead of me got into the left turn lane and slowed down. I knew all was well. But I, foolishly, had AP on while driving this residential street. I got the loud double beep, braking and a sharp evasive tug on my steering wheel. My Model 3 darted maybe one foot to the right. OMFG

It’s hard to put that feeling into words, but the evasive maneuver was so sudden, so foreign and so frightening that I didn’t use AP for a couple of days. Nobody has ever wrested control of my car from me. I think that adoption of lane departure avoidance by drivers will be slow. You need a little better NN refinement to make it more specific.

Reactions: trak0r and afadeev
Haven't had a problem yet, but we've been warned. We've had it for about a week with no activations that we didn't initiate.

I have tried taking my hands off the wheel with a center turn lane and a bike lane to the right and no traffic while driving manually. In a slight right turn I drifted over the left lane line and it corrected, with a quick NoA-like blue path line on the screen. I didn't hear any audible warning. In a slight left turn I drifted over the right lane line and it corrected, with a three-buzz alert. I tried driving over the left line intentionally and it let me. So it's been fine for me, with standard lane lines and nothing out of the ordinary.

Haven't had a problem yet, but we've been warned. We've had it for about a week with no activations that we didn't initiate.

I have tried taking my hands off the wheel
Just FYI, ELDA can intervene even if you have your hands on the wheel. Happened to me today for no obvious reason (less than 24 hours after I received the firmware update).
with a center turn lane and a bike lane to the right and no traffic while driving manually. In a slight right turn I drifted over the left lane line and it corrected, with a quick NoA-like blue path line on the screen. I didn't hear any audible warning.
That sounds more like the regular (non-emergency) LDA. The ELDA alarm sound cannot be missed (it'll probably get your heart pumping the first time it happens).

I was driving all over town tonight running errands, swerving around bikes, driving across an area with active road work and traffic routed across lanes with flaggers, avoiding potholes, etc. I kept thinking of these complaints on here, but not once did any of these systems activate. Working perfectly fine as far as I’m concerned.

I was driving all over town tonight running errands, swerving around bikes, driving across an area with active road work and traffic routed across lanes with flaggers, avoiding potholes, etc. I kept thinking of these complaints on here, but not once did any of these systems activate. Working perfectly fine as far as I’m concerned.

This may be because of your rate of speed. In the city, you may not have exceeded 25mph. I’ve found that it triggers relatively easily, but that the force of pressure on the wheel is light.

Reactions: jkeyser14
I use Autopilot 99% of my driving so I rarely get an opportunity to see this feature in action. When I deliberately let the car drift sideways to test the feature, it did correct my steering correctly. However, it was also beeping constantly when everything was ok with a warning that "lane departure avoidance is limited - if issue persists contact Tesla Service". So I turned off the feature.

This speed floor is documented? Or that's what you've found?

As it turns out, steering assistance doesn’t kick in until 30mph and several other conditions are met.

Here it is in the updated manual:

Lane Assist warns you of undesired lane departures by vibrating the steering wheel slightly if a front wheel passes over a lane marking and the associated turn signal is off. This warning is active only when driving between approximately 36 and 90 mph (59 and 150 km/h). To turn this warning on or off, touch Controls > Autopilot > Lane Departure Warning. Your chosen setting is retained until you manually change it.
Lane Assist also warns you when a desired lane departure is not appropriate. When you engage the turn signal and a vehicle or object is detected in the adjacent lane you are planning to move into, the touchscreen displays a red lane line to indicate that you should not change lanes. When the vehicle or object is no longer detected, the lane line returns to normal.
Lane Assist also provides steering interventions if Model 3 drifts into (or close to) an adjacent lane in which an object, such as a vehicle, is detected. In these situations, Model 3 automatically steers to a safer position in its driving lane. This steering is applied only when Model 3 is traveling between 30 and 85 mph (48 and 140 km/h) on major roadways with clearly visible lane markings. When Lane Assist applies a steering intervention, the touchscreen briefly displays a warning message.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
As it turns out, steering assistance doesn’t kick in until 30mph and several other conditions are met.

Here it is in the updated manual:

Lane Assist warns you of undesired lane departures by vibrating the steering wheel slightly if a front wheel passes over a lane marking and the associated turn signal is off. This warning is active only when driving between approximately 36 and 90 mph (59 and 150 km/h). To turn this warning on or off, touch Controls > Autopilot > Lane Departure Warning. Your chosen setting is retained until you manually change it.
Lane Assist also warns you when a desired lane departure is not appropriate. When you engage the turn signal and a vehicle or object is detected in the adjacent lane you are planning to move into, the touchscreen displays a red lane line to indicate that you should not change lanes. When the vehicle or object is no longer detected, the lane line returns to normal.
Lane Assist also provides steering interventions if Model 3 drifts into (or close to) an adjacent lane in which an object, such as a vehicle, is detected. In these situations, Model 3 automatically steers to a safer position in its driving lane. This steering is applied only when Model 3 is traveling between 30 and 85 mph (48 and 140 km/h) on major roadways with clearly visible lane markings. When Lane Assist applies a steering intervention, the touchscreen briefly displays a warning message.
That's LDA.

What about ELDA? Or was you post only about LDA?

<edit> Or a more important question I guess, did you have LDA turned off when you were out poking at this? So you could have been triggering LDA, not ELDA?

Last edited:
What about ELDA?

It took a bit of searching - Tesla apparently has multiple versions of their Model 3 Manual up at the same time for North America. This is the most recent release I can find: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf published as of May 16th, and references code base 2019.16.1.1. This is the only reference to ELDA:

Lane Assist also consists of the following features to assist you in staying safe in the driving lanes: • Lane Departure Avoidance • Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance • Blind Spot Warning Chime

Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance For emergency situations, Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance attempts to prevent a potential collision with a vehicle in an adjacent lane by steering Model 3 back into the center of your driving lane. This operates if the cameras can detect the edge of the lane, such as a lane line or curb. When this steering intervention is applied, you will hear a chime and the touchscreen displays a warning while highlighting the lane line red until Model 3 returns to the driving lane. To turn off for your current drive, touch Controls > Autopilot > Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance. This feature is automatically turned on at the start of every drive.

• Helpful
Reactions: SammichLover
It took a bit of searching - Tesla apparently has multiple versions of their Model 3 Manual up at the same time for North America. This is the most recent release I can find: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf published as of May 16th, and references code base 2019.16.1.1. This is the only reference to ELDA:

Lane Assist also consists of the following features to assist you in staying safe in the driving lanes: • Lane Departure Avoidance • Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance • Blind Spot Warning Chime

Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance For emergency situations, Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance attempts to prevent a potential collision with a vehicle in an adjacent lane by steering Model 3 back into the center of your driving lane. This operates if the cameras can detect the edge of the lane, such as a lane line or curb. When this steering intervention is applied, you will hear a chime and the touchscreen displays a warning while highlighting the lane line red until Model 3 returns to the driving lane. To turn off for your current drive, touch Controls > Autopilot > Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance. This feature is automatically turned on at the start of every drive.
Right, and no mention of the signal light suspending its operation, either.

Given my experience, and that description of what it is being used, I'm beginning to think that the signal light will NOT suspend its operation, by design.

Given my experience, and that description of what it is being used, I'm not sure that the signal light will suspend its operation.

Probably not the best idea to test this feature with a stranger in another car. I already have one email into their documentation team, I might send another requesting clarification. This should be made as clear as possible.

Reactions: Runnergirl