Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[POLL] ELDA users, what is your experience? (Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance)

As an owner on 2019.16.x, what is your experience with ELDA?

• I don't have enough miles to be fair. I'll change my vote later.

Votes: 22 12.0%
  • Haven't noticed it do anything at all

Votes: 58 31.5%
  • It has unsafely tried to correct my steering

Votes: 55 29.9%
  • It has safely corrected my poor steering

Votes: 49 26.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed the most current update is a whole lot smoother to the point that you almost don’t notice it fixing your line.

Haven’t had it come on in a corner with the recent update, but when I missed a lane change on a straight section of road, it gently nudged me back into the lane I was already in.

The previous version was more violentl.

Reactions: joelliot
When did this happen, do you recall what the software version was? I've never seen AP take "evasive" action, other than slowing when something gets in the way (or at least it perceives something getting in the way).

ELDA on the other hand, that's tried to do something like that....until I turned it off. Well it did do it once even after it was turned off, but that's been a number of patches back now.

TLDR: I'm not sure the software version now, but it was around April this year right after I purchased car, but persisted through at least 1-2 software updates until my trial ran out at the same intersection. I naively was hoping for machine learning to figure out that problematic intersection, but never seemed too. It was evasive in the sense it needed to move the car back to the right by about 10 feet. That is the sort of driving someone would do if they realized at the last second they didn't really want to turn and tried to undo the decision to change lanes.

This is only once repetitive corner case I'm going to mention since it was the most vivid for me due to narrowly avoided wreck had I not aggressive taken control. This event was also pre-ELDA. I was travelling south on Central Ave and turning left on 7th (see attached). Had my blinker on and had moved over into the turning lane (Note the lane separation is a solid white). The car then tried to get back into the center lane, which was now occupied by a new motorist that was tailgating me and impatiently waiting to pass me. Had I not had the steering wheel in control, I would've smashed into the other car quite hard. It seemed like model 3 had a 'blind' spot effectively as the road curved.

Now I'm sure things haven't gotten better after a few months of development, but I don't want FSD in the long run anyways since I don't want to share my 'cab' and don't think I ever want steering control other than the emergency lane departure. I felt the car was worth the price for solely its performance merits. I don't feel spending $3k (didn't get AP since bought a month to early by default - stupid me I guess) to effectively get the TACC I need. If I could spend $500-$1000 to add TACC and forgo steering control, I'd buy right now. Finally, since my commute is only 5 minutes, TACC really isn't needed either. If it weren't for the fact the car will do ELDA, I would put tape over all the camera's to maybe reduce image processing computation time of the 2.5 100 watt computer. Maybe in 5 years, I'll reevaluate when FSD software has matured and I have need to do cross country trips.

TLDR: I'm not sure the software version now, but it was around April this year right after I purchased car, but persisted through at least 1-2 software updates until my trial ran out at the same intersection. I naively was hoping for machine learning to figure out that problematic intersection, but never seemed too. It was evasive in the sense it needed to move the car back to the right by about 10 feet. That is the sort of driving someone would do if they realized at the last second they didn't really want to turn and tried to undo the decision to change lanes.
That's just difficulty discerning the lane at that intersection, for whatever reason. It wasn't trying to evade a collision or object or anything. I expect there's some sort of really bad weirdness with the lines there, lane spilts or a merge that lacks actual narrowing until long after the dividing line disappears, or sometimes when there's a strong bend in the road at the same time as lane lines disappear for a while.

After the first time it is kinda on you for it not to happen again. ;)

Over months and multiple patches Autopilot has progressively, collectively figured that out (with Tesla's software team's coaching), but the "machine learning" doesn't happen at the individual vehicle level like your above text seems to imply you expect.

don't think I ever want steering control other than the emergency lane departure
Each to their own, but I'm exactly the opposite. 40,000 miles in I'm entirely sold on AP**, really it took only a single day long trip to move it to a hard "must-have" for me. However I dislike ELDA because it isn't opt-in and then very easily opt-out at particular points where I don't have confidence in it. The day I trust ELDA is the day I'll also trust FSD to be on indefinitely on the road.

** EAP as I purchased it, although I bumped up to FSD during the $2K sale for a bit of future-proofing. I'm looking forward to the red-light/stop sign feature.

Last edited:
I’m finding LkA is running much smoother and not letting ELDA kick in as badly now after an update or two.

The lane keep is almost unnoticeable in its intervention now.

I haven’t been surprised by Emergency Land Departure in a while now.