Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Fastest stock setup 0-60 -- Aeros or 20" Sport?

Fastest stock setup: Aeros or 20" Sport

• Aeros

Votes: 41 44.1%
  • 20" Sport

Votes: 52 55.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ready to see some apples to apples comparisons. Seen the VBOX results (with rollout) 3.18-3.34s for the 20" Performance Upgrades option... Only seen dragy results for the aeros, fastest 3.53s. Just applying a blanketed "0.3s" conversion, that makes 3.23 for the aero setup. I'm guessing as I predicted, that these two setups are VERY close.... still think the 20" setup has minimal advantage :confused:

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
Time to resurrect old threads tonight. Declaring the 20" sport folks the winners here. While it may defeat logic in terms of discussions involving unsprung weight, rotational mass, and other boring physics, The 20" has a (slight) edge over the Aero package as demonstrated by dragy leaderboards. As I predicted, the advantage is slight.... with the advantage of Pilot Sport tires over all seasons edging out the advantage conferred by the slightly lower weight of the Aero wheel/tire config. ↓

QUOTE="Mayhem, post: 2932021, member: 76171"]" I'm guessing as I predicted, that these two setups are VERY close.... still think the 20" setup has minimal advantage")-[/QUOTE]

Dragy 0-60 leaderboards have all results filtered by Model 3, with 4/5 P3D+ configs:

1) @FlyNavy01 (I still don't know how he did it!) - P3D+
2) @Mayhem (ahem)- P3D+
3) @SD_Engnr - P3D+
4) @everman - P3D+
5) Cheetaturbo - P3D-

Time to resurrect old threads tonight. Declaring the 20" sport folks the winners here. While it may defeat logic in terms of discussions involving unsprung weight, rotational mass, and other boring physics, The 20" has a (slight) edge over the Aero package as demonstrated by dragy leaderboards. As I predicted, the advantage is slight.... with the advantage of Pilot Sport tires over all seasons edging out the advantage conferred by the slightly lower weight of the Aero wheel/tire config.

I'm guessing as I predicted, that these two setups are VERY close.... still think the 20" setup has minimal advantage :confused:

Dragy 0-60 leaderboards have all results filtered by Model 3, with 4/5 P3D+ configs:

2) @Mayhem (ahem)- P3D+
3) @SD_Engnr - P3D+
4) @everman - P3D+
5) Cheetaturbo - P3D-

Time to resurrect old threads tonight. Declaring the 20" sport folks the winners here. While it may defeat logic in terms of discussions involving unsprung weight, rotational mass, and other boring physics, The 20" has a (slight) edge over the Aero package as demonstrated by dragy leaderboards. As I predicted, the advantage is slight.... with the advantage of Pilot Sport tires over all seasons edging out the advantage conferred by the slightly lower weight of the Aero wheel/tire config.

2) @Mayhem (ahem)- P3D+
3) @SD_Engnr - P3D+
4) @everman - P3D+
5) Cheetaturbo - P3D-

Definitely only a slight advantage. I went head to head with a P3D- on a 1/8th mile track last Friday and we split the 2 runs. Whoever got the light, got the win. Curiously, I had a higher trap speed throughout the night: 94.7x vs what he said was a consistent 93.3x.

I still need to find myself a nice flat section or slight decline to get closer to or pass Flynavy or Mayhem :D

I thought my 3.37 second run was a fluke since the rest of my runs have averaged 3.4-3.5sec, but I ended up first at an empty red light a few days ago with 91% SoC so I switched the dragy on and got a 3.39sec on a whim with my aftermarket 19" setup.

I might empty everything out of the car and charge to 100% near the flattest surface I can find for a true attempt at a best time soon just for fun.

I thought my 3.37 second run was a fluke since the rest of my runs have averaged 3.4-3.5sec, but I ended up first at an empty red light a few days ago with 91% SoC so I switched the dragy on and got a 3.39sec on a whim with my aftermarket 19" setup.

I might empty everything out of the car and charge to 100% near the flattest surface I can find for a true attempt at a best time soon just for fun.

Nice times. Some guys were opining on the other list that the 0-60 times are software limited to a set acceleration g-value. That may be the reason why going to lighter wheels hasn’t helped 0-60 times very much (a couple thousands of a second) . It also might suggest that stripping the car down may not help much either. With all the technical development going on at Mountain Pass Performance, I wonder if he’ll have a module to override that software (if it really exists)?

Reactions: Mayhem
Some guys were opining on the other list that the 0-60 times are software limited to a set acceleration g-value. That may be the reason why going to lighter wheels hasn’t helped 0-60 times very much (a couple thousands of a second) . It also might suggest that stripping the car down may not help much either.

Totally agree. It seems like the variation is negligible despite what people are doing to it that would quicken up a similar ICE car.

Yet at the same time would invalidate this linked tweet. If it is governed then I think a lot of folks would deservedly be PO'd if they sprang for aftermarket upgrades based on the tweet with little or no return.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Nice times. Some guys were opining on the other list that the 0-60 times are software limited to a set acceleration g-value. That may be the reason why going to lighter wheels hasn’t helped 0-60 times very much (a couple thousands of a second) . It also might suggest that stripping the car down may not help much either. With all the technical development going on at Mountain Pass Performance, I wonder if he’ll have a module to override that software (if it really exists)?
Cover up the GPS antenna and see if it improves 0 to 60. I have a suspicion that it has preset parameters that are controlled by time to distance algorithms. There might also be a sensor on the wheels. But I haven’t checked. Further the TPMS system could also be used to measure tire rotations and have a restrictive limit that could throttle back acceleration.

I went head to head with a P3D- on a 1/8th mile track last Friday and we split the 2 runs. Whoever got the light, got the win.

skip the lights, reaction time and winning -- that doesn't matter. What were the ETs? the times on the time slip?
post them here Fast Tesla Model-3s 1/4 Mile 0-60 Drag Racing - DragTimes.com if you get any 1/4 mile times and use dragy for 1/8 mile and 0-60.

I'd be surprised if the performance would be limited by gps or g sensors --more likely just peak power or even more likely a programmed peak power curve in response to sustained wide open throttle events.

skip the lights, reaction time and winning -- that doesn't matter. What were the ETs? the times on the time slip?
post them here Fast Tesla Model-3s 1/4 Mile 0-60 Drag Racing - DragTimes.com if you get any 1/4 mile times and use dragy for 1/8 mile and 0-60.

I'd be surprised if the performance would be limited by gps or g sensors --more likely just peak power or even more likely a programmed peak power curve in response to sustained wide open throttle events.

Just posting my experience going head to head with a P3D- on a 1/8th mile track. I don't have his timeslips, but his ET's were consistently in the 7.6Xs with 92-93 mph trap speed, while mine were 7.5Xs @ 94.XX.

It might just be the nature of the feeling of electric motors topping out, but it does feel artificially limited.

Just posting my experience going head to head with a P3D- on a 1/8th mile track. I don't have his timeslips, but his ET's were consistently in the 7.6Xs with 92-93 mph trap speed, while mine were 7.5Xs @ 94.XX.

It might just be the nature of the feeling of electric motors topping out, but it does feel artificially limited.

Without isolating the Battery SOC variable it’s not possible to draw a conclusion from track times.

Without isolating the Battery SOC variable it’s not possible to draw a conclusion from track times.

I agree and hope that people aren't polluting the dragtimes time slips with data points from lower SOCs where times start decreasing materially -- just don't post those times. Just post your best.

Similarly don't take your 3 heavy friends for a ride coming back from home depot with 6 bags of potting soil in the trunk and post those times on Dragy.

My best is 11.74 with P3D- (I haven't updated my 11.771 on dragtimes yet). The 11.72 on dragtimes is the quickest I've seen, and it's a P3D+. The fact that they are so close, means this is likely wasted effort to discuss, they are pretty much the same in a straight line.

My best is 11.74 with P3D- (I haven't updated my 11.771 on dragtimes yet). The 11.72 on dragtimes is the quickest I've seen, and it's a P3D+. The fact that they are so close, means this is likely wasted effort to discuss, they are pretty much the same in a straight line.
Agree mostly. Honestly this is not my expertise but some would say 5/100ths is significant! (I disagree personally, but that's irrelevant) -- and times where lighter wheel/tire combos have been used and shaved off 5/100ths of a second 0-60 -- these people are ecstatic! I think they are crazy and that's what I call 'measuring error' but whatev's.... to each his own :) My post above reflects your exact sentiment. There is no significant slippage and seems HIGHLY software controlled. The future will illuminate the truth.....