Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Fastest stock setup 0-60 -- Aeros or 20" Sport?

Fastest stock setup: Aeros or 20" Sport

• Aeros

Votes: 41 44.1%
  • 20" Sport

Votes: 52 55.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I personally don't think they'll be offering a AWD to P upgrade in the near future 0-4 years at least. It makes absolutely no sense from a business decision/marketing standpoint for them to do it. 4+ years down the road when they're well into the Model Y production and maybe a Model 3 refresh, there's a small chance they may offer it. Warranty repair rates and future marketing objectives will play a strong factor in that decision.

Oh I wasn’t talking AWD to P. Meant the Performace package (God I hate how Tesla has named the package) for those who have a P3D with Aeros.

@ronin
I hate their naming conventions too...it's like they might have done it intentionally so that people check the box for the extra $5K, not realizing that they already bought the performance model in the first selection box. They should have used the same naming convention like Funkmobile did here -- the P3D+ package, with lower suspension, different wheels, different brakes, etc...

@ronin
I hate their naming conventions too...it's like they might have done it intentionally so that people check the box for the extra $5K, not realizing that they already bought the performance model in the first selection box. They should have used the same naming convention like Funkmobile did here -- the P3D+ package, with lower suspension, different wheels, different brakes, etc...

They should have named things:

* 3S - short/standard range
* 3L - long range
* 3A - AWD
* 3P - performance
* 3P+ - performance plus (fancy pants upgrade)

Last edited:
Where are they getting those times from exactly? I don't see a draggy or vbox or anything being used- are they just filming the car and using the timer on the video?

Yeah looks like they timed it using a video of the speedo to see when it showed 60 and calculated the time based on the number of frames in between 0 and 60. Not the most accurate way but cautiously optimistic that this signals something positive about the P3D+.

@Knightshade
More fake news :rolleyes: I didn't see a vbox or anything specific, but with these forums you have to apply a fudge factor on everything.

I can't wait until some actual numbers from the drag strip... Tire Rack really needs to get in the testing game, would be a good way for them to sell tires..

I think both tires will be effectively identical for 0-60 sprints.

The reason I say this is the 18" wheels give a 133ft stopping distance per Consumer Reports (after the software update).

Some quick math - 60mph is 88 ft per second. Assuming constant deceleration, we can use 30mph as the average speed over the 133ft distance. So the time taken is 133 / 44 = 3.02s

This means the stock 18" all-seasons are capable of decelerating from 60-0 in 3.02s without breaking traction (that should be right at the traction limit). So there's tire headroom in the 3.5s 0-60 time.

This is a simplification (and only valid for AWD vehicles) but should be close given the 50/50 weight distribution.

Reactions: Daniel in SD
I think both tires will be effectively identical for 0-60 sprints.

The reason I say this is the 18" wheels give a 133ft stopping distance per Consumer Reports (after the software update).

Some quick math - 60mph is 88 ft per second. Assuming constant deceleration, we can use 30mph as the average speed over the 133ft distance. So the time taken is 133 / 44 = 3.02s

This means the stock 18" all-seasons are capable of decelerating from 60-0 in 3.02s without breaking traction (that should be right at the traction limit). So there's tire headroom in the 3.5s 0-60 time.

This is a simplification (and only valid for AWD vehicles) but should be close given the 50/50 weight distribution.
Simple models like this often work well, and nothing seems wrong with your math, but in this case I doubt all assumptions hold. The result implies that the P3D is power-limited rather than traction-limited with the 18” stock tires and wheels, given that Dragy results from @forkee put the car at around 3.5s with that setup. On the other hand, Elon thought we could hit 3.3s with more grip, so I’d infer he thought traction (not power) was the limiting factor:

“We gave up some grip and width in exchange for range. I would recommend stickier tires and wider on the rear for best performance.”

Reactions: forkee
Simple models like this often work well, and nothing seems wrong with your math, but in this case I doubt all assumptions hold. The result implies that the P3D is power-limited rather than traction-limited with the 18” stock tires and wheels, given that Dragy results from @forkee put the car at around 3.5s with that setup. On the other hand, Elon thought we could hit 3.3s with more grip, so I’d infer he thought traction (not power) was the limiting factor:

“We gave up some grip and width in exchange for range. I would recommend stickier tires and wider on the rear for best performance.”
How wide would can you Go on the 18’s?

I think I found my mono block forged wheels --- $470 each and only 18 pounds ..Titan 7 T-S5 Wheel - 18x9.5 / 5x114.3 / Offset +40 (Satin Titanium) | Evasive Motorsports

Just need a hub ring to bring it from 73mm center bore to 64.1mm center bore -
Muteki Hub Ring 73mm / 64mm | Evasive Motorsports

Lifetime structural warranty too!!!

3.6 lbs lighter than bare aeros and 5 lbs lighter than the stock 18 inch with aeros on - specs here - Titan 7 Forged Wheels - Forged For All

Stock size is
  • Size: 18X8.5"
  • Offset: +40
  • PCD: 5X114.3
  • Center Bore: 64.1mm
  • Weight: 21.6 lbs (Without Aero Cover), 23 lbs (With Aero Cover)
  • Lug Nut Spec: 13/16 Hex, 14X1.50 Thread
  • Lug Nut Torque Spec: 129 lb-ft
  • Price: No Charge
  • Tire Spec: Michelin Primacy MXM4, 235/45-18, 98W
  • Details: This is the original base model wheel that comes with every Tesla Model 3 free of charge.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: wallet.dat
This guy just put 27530zr20’s on 20x10 inch wheels rwd model. And staggered 235 20x8.5’s in front? Michelin pilots sport AS 3+
What do you think of that? So in a 19 could I put 10 inch wide on the tires of P-awd? Are the tires staggered stock in the Pefromance model?

How abou these ultraleggera at 18.4lbs and only $347each?
8F18FED4-B16A-4652-9C85-78FE172AA799.jpeg

You need to check the static load on those...those are cold cast and not very strong.

Casting
A quality starting from technology processes OZ wheels are produced through Low Pressure Casting and Gravity technologies. Low pressure casting the alloy is heated at about 700°C, cast and is low pressure injected into the bottom of the mould, to the top. This process is widely used to transform non-ferrous materials and alloys into manufactured products guaranteeing a high finishing level on the final product. The resulting casting won’t present any junctions, porosity or cavities and the raw manufactured wheel shall have a fine and compact grain.

The following alloy compounds are used in the manufacture of OZ wheels: G-AlSi7Mg.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: bhzmark