Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[POLL] For Cybertruck Res Holders ONLY, what type of buyer are you?

For Cybertruck Res Holders ONLY, what type of buyer are you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My reasons for reserving a dual motor Cybertruck are:
We currently own a Model S 75 RWD and have placed our home up for sale in the Phoenix area with plans to move back to rural Kansas and the truck makes more sense for us. It will still be our primary vehicle and will help in snow plus the 30X steel will resist hail better!
Also, having ac power available in an area that is notorious for losing power will be great.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
I am very surprised, how quick the concept of the truck grew on me. I never had a truck / pick-up, and never would have thought of ever getting one. I will add some context here.

In Western Europe, and especially Switzerland, Pick-up Trucks are a very very rare thing. Those who (sorry to generalize, but I'm pretty sure it's true for 90% ) have one are hardcore right wing, anti climate change, Greta haters. They tend to glorify the USA and love Country music etc. You get the picture. The last Pick-up I saw had a "**** you Greta" AND a "**** your Tesla" sticker....

By the moderate, left and or green you'll be seen as a retard when you drive a SUV, even more so when you drive a Pick-up. Heavy vehicles are seen as bad, even if it's a EV. That being said, Mid-size SUV's are bestselling cars over here as well.

It will be hard, next to impossible to have the Cybertruck as an everyday car. But it will replace the VolvoXC90 we use for towing the sailboat and the Model S 85D from 2016. Errands around town will be up to the Model 3. The price point, range, towing capacity etc. etc. are so compelling that it would be a stupid thing not to buy one. And I love the design. And I love the concept, which I think is more revolutionary than most realize. The Truck is a huge step further in eco friendliness I think. No paint, no aluminium (which is super energy intensive to produce) a huge lifespan which in itself is a good thing.

I do hope for an slightly EU friendlier version (just some 3 inches shorter) and or I do hope that the implications above will dawn on the general public. If not, I will go with Rogan who said something in the line of: "Now I can be obnoxious and ecofrienedly at the same time".

I do hope for an slightly EU friendlier version (just some 3 inches shorter) and or I do hope that the implications above will dawn on the general public. If not, I will go with Rogan who said something in the line of: "Now I can be obnoxious and ecofrienedly at the same time".

interesting, I had just assumed the Cybertruck wouldn’t be available in Western Europe. I spent quite a bit of time in Deutschland and I don’t recall ever seeing a pick up during my time there. So the Tesla Schweitz site allows you to reserve one?

interesting, I had just assumed the Cybertruck wouldn’t be available in Western Europe. I spent quite a bit of time in Deutschland and I don’t recall ever seeing a pick up during my time there. So the Tesla Schweitz site allows you to reserve one?

Sure and I will get really angry if thy don't deliver on the promise.... ; )

The main reason I’ve ordered a Cybertruck is because I want a Tesla REAL bad. Been looking at Model 3’s for about 10 months. Rented 2, wife absolutely hated them (She’s an suv gal). Cybertruck was in my mind the compromise and, Lo and behold, she doesn’t like it either. I wasn’t looking for a truck, but I think it looks badass. Two years will give me time to save even more and put a health down payment on it. Very excited!

Have and drive a ram 1500 crew cab every day. Let's just say driving a 20' truck around daily should be interesting for most. I'm predicting allot of cancelled returns after the initial test drive. Have fun getting around the city and maneuvering parkades with one. .. LOL

Why do you say this? Are streets really narrow/tight in Canada? I regularly drive a full-size pickup and an extended 3500 cargo van around cities (Atlanta, Boston, Philly) and have never not been able to get around town or park in parking garage (unless the ceilings are too low for the van). I honestly can't think of a time when I couldn't make it down a street because of length. It is sometimes easier to back into a parking space if the "aisle" is tight but, again, it is easy to do so.

I am very surprised, how quick the concept of the truck grew on me. I never had a truck / pick-up, and never would have thought of ever getting one. I will add some context here.

In Western Europe, and especially Switzerland, Pick-up Trucks are a very very rare thing. Those who (sorry to generalize, but I'm pretty sure it's true for 90% ) have one are hardcore right wing, anti climate change, Greta haters. They tend to glorify the USA and love Country music etc. You get the picture. The last Pick-up I saw had a "**** you Greta" AND a "**** your Tesla" sticker....

By the moderate, left and or green you'll be seen as a retard when you drive a SUV, even more so when you drive a Pick-up. Heavy vehicles are seen as bad, even if it's a EV. That being said, Mid-size SUV's are bestselling cars over here as well.

It will be hard, next to impossible to have the Cybertruck as an everyday car. But it will replace the VolvoXC90 we use for towing the sailboat and the Model S 85D from 2016. Errands around town will be up to the Model 3. The price point, range, towing capacity etc. etc. are so compelling that it would be a stupid thing not to buy one. And I love the design. And I love the concept, which I think is more revolutionary than most realize. The Truck is a huge step further in eco friendliness I think. No paint, no aluminium (which is super energy intensive to produce) a huge lifespan which in itself is a good thing.

If I may ask, what do tradesman (plumbers, electrician, landscapers, house painters) drive in Switzerland? Also, what type of vehicles are used for towing things like large boats, horse trailers or race cars on trailers?

Also, how does 3" make a difference? Is there a physical restriction like standard garage size or is it a legal issue?

Why do you say this? Are streets really narrow/tight in Canada? I regularly drive a full-size pickup and an extended 3500 cargo van around cities (Atlanta, Boston, Philly) and have never not been able to get around town or park in parking garage (unless the ceilings are too low for the van). I honestly can't think of a time when I couldn't make it down a street because of length. It is sometimes easier to back into a parking space if the "aisle" is tight but, again, it is easy to do so.
I had a Ford E-250 cargo van, it was 18 feet long, no problems here either with driving, parking, maneuvering, etc. Cybertruck is about a foot and a half longer.

I had a Ford E-250 cargo van, it was 18 feet long, no problems here either with driving, parking, maneuvering, etc. Cybertruck is about a foot and a half longer.

My savana 3500 is 239”. It’s just not hard to drive. Maybe I’m just used to. Practice makes perfect.

I imagine there will be a learning curve for lots of people. The that will be hardest for me is getting used to the backup cameras. In my wife’s model 3 I still only use the mirrors because I forget there is a backup camera. This truck could benefit from improved auto parking capabilities.

Last edited:
If I may ask, what do tradesman (plumbers, electrician, landscapers, house painters) drive in Switzerland? Also, what type of vehicles are used for towing things like large boats, horse trailers or race cars on trailers?

Also, how does 3" make a difference? Is there a physical restriction like standard garage size or is it a legal issue?

In Switzerland, and I'd say in Europe in general the most common choice is a Van (Mercedes Sprinter, VW Transporter, Crafter etc.) With the sliding doors and the huge inside volume it makes a lot of sense. Often these vans are equipped with some kind of storage system, a workbench etc. and serve as mobile workshops. For businesses who need not as much equipment (painters, cleaners etc.) smaller vans (Renault Kangoo, VW Caddy and the like) are often used as well. The are really cheap to buy/lease. Prices start around CHF 15'000.-.
Gardeners / masons and carpenters often have said vans with a bed / bridge.

For the other uses you ask it's mostly big SUV's: Porsche Cayenne, Range Rover, Land Rover Discovery, Volvo XC90, Mercedes ML, VW Tuareg, Audi Q7. Towing in CH and EU is allowed without special permission up to 2.55cm width (but you have to have the license to do so). So that automatically rules out big boats. Mine is a 27 footer, with a width of 254 cm. If things you have to haul get wider/heavier we hire specialized firms to do the job.

And... 3" , my bad. I'm terribly bad with the US system, I of course meant 30". The restriction that will be meaningful is the 3.5t total weight (truck and load) above which you have to have a proper truck license. The problem with the length ist not about the driving itself, but parking and city driving. Parking lots are 2.30m x 5.0m in general (90" x 196").

Model 3 FSD owner moving to Cybertruck.
Am hoping to keep the 3 as a full-time rental to offset the Cybertruck cost rather than selling the 3 outright.
I'm a city dweller now, but grew up in middle of nowhere, Australia, where Landcruisers and utes were vital to live in such a harsh environment.
Since then I've driven myriad pickups and other much larger vehicles so the Cybertruck will not at all be a challenge for me.
I could never justify owning such a pollution machine as an F150 personally, as much as I wanted the utility.
Now I can have my proverbial cake and eat it too: a massive tank armored personnel carrier pickup truck, for occasional glamping, charged almost entirely by solar.
Guess I'm not getting the Rivian now, but I really, really hope Tesla offers an SUV version of Cybertruck, as that would be.... glorious.

Reactions: LST and ohmman
Thanks to everyone who participated in this poll. With over 250 votes cast I consider it a success, even if it still isn’t statistically valid. Over 50% of voters have never owned a truck, not really a surprise. What is a bit surprising (to me at least) is a total of 15% are full sized truck guys. I expected that number to be much smaller, like low single digits. If that percentage were to be applied to the ~ 300k Cybertruck reservation holders it would mean 45k people would be switching from traditional, full sized trucks to a Cybertruck! And once their buddies ride in those Cybertrucks and see how awesomely capable they are, and realize how much $$$ they can save in fuel, Tesla may need to build a dedicated factory to build them.

Or I could be completely wrong and Cybertruck could be a niche vehicle. Time will tell.

In Switzerland, and I'd say in Europe in general the most common choice is a Van (Mercedes Sprinter, VW Transporter, Crafter etc.) With the sliding doors and the huge inside volume it makes a lot of sense. Often these vans are equipped with some kind of storage system, a workbench etc. and serve as mobile workshops. For businesses who need not as much equipment (painters, cleaners etc.) smaller vans (Renault Kangoo, VW Caddy and the like) are often used as well. The are really cheap to buy/lease. Prices start around CHF 15'000.-.
Gardeners / masons and carpenters often have said vans with a bed / bridge.

For the other uses you ask it's mostly big SUV's: Porsche Cayenne, Range Rover, Land Rover Discovery, Volvo XC90, Mercedes ML, VW Tuareg, Audi Q7. Towing in CH and EU is allowed without special permission up to 2.55cm width (but you have to have the license to do so). So that automatically rules out big boats. Mine is a 27 footer, with a width of 254 cm. If things you have to haul get wider/heavier we hire specialized firms to do the job.

And... 3" , my bad. I'm terribly bad with the US system, I of course meant 30". The restriction that will be meaningful is the 3.5t total weight (truck and load) above which you have to have a proper truck license. The problem with the length ist not about the driving itself, but parking and city driving. Parking lots are 2.30m x 5.0m in general (90" x 196").

Thank you for the detailed response. It is interesting to gain some insight into how things are best done in places other than where I live.

Reactions: LST
I farm in Kansas and have a F-250 and F-150. Ordered the CT to replace the F-150 but it looks capable to handle some of the heavy duty work. I guess we'll ease into it and see how it goes. At first, I didn't think it had much of a fit for the farm and oil field markets (that use flat beds and fifth wheels) but there's only one way to find out.

Currently an F150 owner for the last 20 years and GM prior 10, I'm all in on the CT . Changed to Ford because of reliability issues which worked. Changing to the CT because of the functionality. Tired of putting things in the cab just so they are secure (which has caused more wear & tear than necessary). The vault plus Frunk and Side storage will resolve all my issues for the last 30 years. Design look is a bonus.

Right now we have a Ram 1500 and an Excursion 7.3. We haul 3 kids to and from the sports fields and when able, tow a light travel trailer. Both trucks can haul the trailer but for long trips, the 44 gallons of diesel is a must. My hope is that the CT can handle towing duties for close range locations. Everything else we use the Ram for, the CT can replace. We aren't in an expensive fuel area (North Carolina and Ohio) but right now diesel is at $3 a gallon and rising, so if I can drive the X less I'll be happy.

Reactions: ohmman
Right now we have a Ram 1500 and an Excursion 7.3. We haul 3 kids to and from the sports fields and when able, tow a light travel trailer. Both trucks can haul the trailer but for long trips, the 44 gallons of diesel is a must. My hope is that the CT can handle towing duties for close range locations. Everything else we use the Ram for, the CT can replace. We aren't in an expensive fuel area (North Carolina and Ohio) but right now diesel is at $3 a gallon and rising, so if I can drive the X less I'll be happy.
In my part of California, recent diesel prices have been around $4.50. 44 gallons = $198. Ouch!