Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll for most annoying aspect of your model 3

What do you like the least about your model 3?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me the most annoying thing is the Auto wipers, which are alot better than they used to be but still not great and most of all the Auto Headlight main beam which i keep switched off because, well.. its totally crap! The worst thing about having it turned on is that, when it doesnt work and you try to turn on the main beam manually, theres about a 3 second delay before anything happens, in which time you could eaisly end up in a ditch on a dark road that you diddnt see!! It's just dangerious - dont use it!

Road noise for me too, and wind noise from the windows at speed on a windy day. Will be interesting to see if the dual pane glazing makes any significant difference. Maybe too much to ask for 20" 35 profiles to be quiet, it's very dependent on the road surface as well which you can't blame on the car, some roads are perfectly fine, but I think the car could have been better sound insulated. Wind noise seems to come from the frameless windows, but never had a car with them before to compare, but regardless they should still be properly sealed.

I voted other, which means 'lack of consistency of behaviour' - which actually ties in several of the other options.

The behaviour of many aspects of the car is inconsistent. This can range from one software release to another, or simply one drive to another or even one type of weather to another.

Admittedly part of the fun of ownership is monitoring progress, but the flip side is finding something not behaving as you expect when you need it most. My wife wanted to use TACC on a recent drive. In other cars, cruise control would have been perfect for that part of the journey. But I suggested that she didn't due to bright low evening sun and recent regression in phantom braking. I probably would have used it as I've got more miles under my belt for AP and TACC so are aware of what might spook the car, but for a less experienced user of these features, it wasn't the time or the place.

Similar experience with other functions of the car, although we do tolerate hit and miss wipers and auto main beam both of which you can easily manually override in an emergency. Other issues like lack of regen are fully explainable, but other manufacturers often compensate with use of brakes. And the constant games of Russian roulette of whether you will be able to see out the rear when reversing, or if the car will slow for a corner or speed limit sign, or anything AP related. Thankfully we don't often drive on roads where Automatic Emergency Braking and Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance are more common occurrences.

Road noise for me too, and wind noise from the windows at speed on a windy day. Will be interesting to see if the dual pane glazing makes any significant difference. .... Wind noise seems to come from the frameless windows, but never had a car with them before to compare, but regardless they should still be properly sealed.

I'm not convinced that the dual pane glazing will make much difference unless, as you have eluded to, they can also fix the other areas causing wind noise. I've had at least one car with frameless windows all my years of car ownership, and all I can say is that Tesla have much to learn in that respect. Even British built cars from the 1970's had frameless windows pretty much nailed. And its not down to lack of engine noise highlighting the problem.

Reactions: MaDProFF and seadog
For me it would be the rattle, but that's never going to get significant votes as things like that are down to the construction of individual cars, so I picked road noise.

I drove an S loaner the other day.. it was practically silent compared to the model 3, really showed the difference.

I voted 'other' but I'm greedy and mentioning two of the things I find the most annoying aspect of the M3.

Number 1, has to be THE worst voice recognition software of all the cars I've ever owned. Even with the latest software update with 'country specific voice', it doesn't recognise any instruction I give it.

Number 2, has to be the dashcam. Who on earth at Tesla thought it was a good idea that it didn't need to record anything until you either honked the horn or pressed save on the touchscreen? And then it only saves the last 10 mins. I laugh when the Police on TV ask for any members of the public's dashcam footage of an accident that occurred a couple of days ago. 'Tesla owners excluded' should be added afterwards. I just hope that I'm still conscious and able to touch the 'save' on the touchscreen after a serious accident!!!

Don't get me wrong, I love my M3, but you do have to wonder sometimes if Tesla are the high tech company they're cracked up to be.

Reactions: MaDProFF
For me the most annoying thing is the Auto wipers, which are alot better than they used to be but still not great and most of all the Auto Headlight main beam which i keep switched off because, well.. its totally crap! The worst thing about having it turned on is that, when it doesnt work and you try to turn on the main beam manually, theres about a 3 second delay before anything happens, in which time you could eaisly end up in a ditch on a dark road that you diddnt see!! It's just dangerious - dont use it!

Totally agree regarding the delayed response going back to main beam. I also find that I can't force main beam sometimes and it stays on dip with nothing in front.

Not being able to open the charge port "on-site", only through app or screen.

Tried pressing the lower part of the charge port?

Reactions: Bernard_S
I drove an S loaner the other day.. it was practically silent compared to the model 3, really showed the difference.

I felt similar about my BMW 3 series, not at all bad but not great if you compared it to the refinement of a 5 series. I do wonder if manufacturers deliberately don't make their "base models" too good as it would make it extremely hard to sell cars higher up the range, if a Model 3 has perfect ride and refinement would there be any reason to ever want an S?