Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll for most annoying aspect of your model 3

What do you like the least about your model 3?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even on sunny days, having to open the car settings & immediately switch off 'auto' headlights before driving. They come on at the start of every journey and auto is always the default for the next journey too. If I don't switch the setting off they do occasionally & briefly turn off but rarely with any sort of logic that relates to actual light levels (ie yesterday in full sun, driving for 15 minutes where the lights remained on). This hasn't just been an issue during the last month or two where light levels are generally lower but it may have worsened with one of the recent updates.

I make sure that the camera area of the windscreen is always spotlessly clean & have run the headlight re-calibration routine a couple of times but this has no impact so maybe my car has a lumen calibration issue. If I book a service appointment I won't be impressed if Tesla want me to pay an investigation fee as I suspect this may be 'within tolerance' for their inferior headlamp/wiper setup.

(....haven't driven much in the dark this year so haven't experienced Teslas version of auto main beam yet, that isn't part of my annoyance)

Reactions: Gasman23
I make sure that the camera area of the windscreen is always spotlessly clean & have run the headlight re-calibration routine a couple of times but this has no impact so maybe my car has a lumen calibration issue. If I book a service appointment I won't be impressed if Tesla want me to pay an investigation fee as I suspect this may be 'within tolerance' for their inferior headlamp/wiper setup.

(....haven't driven much in the dark this year so haven't experienced Teslas version of auto main beam yet, that isn't part of my annoyance)

How do you run a headlight recalibration?

Will update this comment later. :)
Can't edit the original comment for some reason...

It's the best car I've ever owned and I do love it. However, these are the things that drive me up the wall...

Wake up time: I unlock the car, i get in the car, i put my seat belt on, key card in hand ready to slap my pin to drive in and during all this time, the car hasn't woken up. I've attempted to enter the pin and nothing. 10-15 seconds have passed and then we can enter it. Doesn't do it all the time, but I'd say at least 50% of the time, after a lengthy stop, it happens and it bugs the tits off me.

No option to choose my digital music provider. Spotify is 'ok' but I pay for Youtube music at home - I'd like the opportunity to use it in the car too, rather than having to play back through my phone (which lets face it, is what's going to end up happening when the premium connectivity period ends!).

Not having the option to open the car from the passenger side via the key card. I know the app option is available but it's not always feaible when you have a 2 year old in your arms or a load of shopping. I've not set up my phone as a key as I don't want to. Something in me likes the physical key aspect that the key card provides.

Somehow Tesla have absolutely nailed the drivetrain. The battery and motors combine to produce class leading range and performance.

So it’s baffling how they manage to underperform in so many other areas, which you’d assume were easier to sort out as solutions for the most part, already exist. As others have mentioned...headlights, wipers, AP, fsd, fit and finish etc

My vote for the most annoying thing went to phantom braking. For a system that’s supposed to create a relaxing driving experience it’s managed to do the complete opposite! I don’t use it when passengers are in the car it’s just too unpredictable.

It’s easy to moan but taking nothing away from the way the car points and squirts. That driving experience completely outshines all the little quirks imo

Reactions: Jeeves and Doudeau
As road noise is currently in second place, so a concern for quite a few owners it would be interesting to see if the votes are all from Performance owners or if it's also is a problem for SR and LR owners with smaller wheels and higher profile tyres?

My vote was related to the Performance model.

I was going to say the lack of sophistication in some functions (dashcam, non matrix lighting, non 360 camera and wipers) but then I remembered the one thing that causes me more "stress" than the others. Too much darn data..

Every part of the car generates data from the excruciating detail of scanmytesla to trip information in teslamate/teslafi added to the the route planning and logistics fun of ABRP/zapmap/plugshare and everything else. All of this creates a huge temptation to delve into this huge amount of information and just fiddle, analyse of compare..

Now for some(and probably the majority) all of this stuff is very much in the "dont care" box, but for me.. being a new owner it is still in the "oh this is interesting I wonder what it means" or even "Is it working properly" box.

So yeah, gathering all the data is fun, but it can umm.. lead to analysis obsession.. :)

For me it is the navigation. I previously used a TomTom sat nav and find that so intuitive to use. With the Tesla/google maps I am always missing junctions, it zooms out when you are coming up to turnings or puts a label over the road you need to take. I have seriously thought about putting my TomTom in the car but can't quite bring myself to do it :)