Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll for most annoying aspect of your model 3

What do you like the least about your model 3?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I voted build quality. This is my third car (previous were a 2006 Honda Civic, a 2014 Mazda 3) this has been by far the most 'rattly' car I have had and it drives me nuts. The stiff suspension in the performance model I chose probably doesn't help (I regret not waiting for an LR model to be available without the aero wheels at the time).

Wind noise round the window is more of an issue for me than road noise which I actually don't feel is too bad.

Fingers crossed my next service centre visit sorts out the final rattles (from an improperly affixed door card on the rear left door).

I voted build quality. This is my third car (previous were a 2006 Honda Civic, a 2014 Mazda 3) this has been by far the most 'rattly' car I have had and it drives me nuts. The stiff suspension in the performance model I chose probably doesn't help (I regret not waiting for an LR model to be available without the aero wheels at the time).

Wind noise round the window is more of an issue for me than road noise which I actually don't feel is too bad.

Fingers crossed my next service centre visit sorts out the final rattles (from an improperly affixed door card on the rear left door).

I have the Performance and don't have any rattles. Sorry. For the wind noise, mine reduced considerabley when I put a small piece of rubber in the gap beteen the mirror chrome and the start of the chrome door strip.

Reactions: Jonnnoy
I guess some of these things that annoy us depend on how a particular car was built - rattles, wind noise, paint quality, panel gaps etc.

Other things, common to every Model 3 are a result of the design itself - insufficient insulation/road noise, indicators, headlight & wiper controls, voice recognition, rear window emptying into boot, software, phantom braking etc.

Annoyance depends on how important any particular aspect is to each of us.

I have none of the 'quality' issues & have experienced all of the 'design' niggles... yet other than the headlights I've learned to live with them. The sheer joy of owning & driving the Tesla, software updates, effortless charging at home or on a supercharger and numerous other positives makes me very (too) forgiving of its faults.

Apart from my wife, two Daughters & a house this is the most expensive thing I've ever funded and I probably have fewer annoyances with the Tesla than I've had with any of those!

Reactions: Doudeau and Adopado
Definitely the wipers.

In the Seattle area we have 50 different words for "rain," and the auto-wipers just aren't able to respond to the rapid variations we see here.

Two enhancements have indeed been made, though:
1) "Deep wipe" NN seems to have provided an incremental improvement, but it's inconsistent for me.
2) Voice activated wiping was a big step forward, but it seems like voice commands only work about 70% of the time. Voice was completely broken yesterday.

If the auto-wipers can't be fixed, one solution would be to be able to push the wiper pulse button repeatedly to adjust the wiper speed. Or something.

I am quite surprised so many have voted road noise, for me I would say it was not a lot worse than any high performance car with wide low profile tyres that I have owned in the past.
I'm with this. Road noise is a little worse than my last car but that was a huge german estate car. This is a high performance saloon with sporty low profile tyres and a lot of lightweight trim to offset the battery weight.

I think it's fine compared to similar performing cars. Mind you I do tend to have the wireless cranked up.

It's the build quality that irks me

Reactions: Yachtsman
The stiff suspension in the performance model I chose probably doesn't help (I regret not waiting for an LR model to be available without the aero wheels at the time).

The LR has stiff suspension as well, but it doesn't bother me most of the time.. go down a sufficiently bumpy road though and the whole car feels like it's going to shake itself to bits!

• Informative
Reactions: Jonnnoy
Impressed again by Stockport SC....

I reported in post #21 that auto headlights on in full sun was the only real annoyance I have & subsequently booked an SC appointment which was due today. The app notified me that I would not be billed for the investigation whatever the outcome.

I received a call on Friday from Sue in the maintenance team & she explained that there isn't a way for the user or SC to calibrate light levels but a full car shutdown should reset this.

I thought I had already done so (following every software update with a 15 sec 2 scroll wheels/brake pedal press & hold, including 44.15 at the weekend) but she told me that the full reset should be for 40 sec not 15. I did this yesterday & the lights have worked exactly as they should ever since - on as I set off but if light levels are 'normal' or sunny they soon switch off, only coming on for shade or dim conditions.

Excellent!

• Informative
Reactions: Godsense
I thought I had already done so (following every software update with a 15 sec 2 scroll wheels/brake pedal press & hold, including 44.15 at the weekend) but she told me that the full reset should be for 40 sec not 15.

Yep. 40-45 seconds (one thousand, two thousand...) for foot on brake reboot is my experience for quite some time - pretty sure that when we got the car it was around 30 seconds. That said, I did two consecutive reboots with 44.15, one with brake, one without, and they both took approx same time, ~45 seconds.