Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll for the 40 kw buyers vs alternative cars

Are 40 kw reservation holders staying with the Model S

• Alternatives do not have the range, performance or space I need

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • Like the Model S design better

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Considering going with another company

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Getting 1 and the Model S

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Cancelling to get another EV sooner

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 60 kWh pack would be a nice luxury and would take driving style basically out of the equation for you but doesn't sound necessary. 3 hours on 40A should be more than enough to get your topped up for those occasional long days. If you have that at work, that's even better since you probably spend longer periods of time there during the day. I would probably use 120 miles as my estimated range on the 40 kWh pack just to be a little more conservative and make sure your trips will fit into that, even with a possible decrease in range (unknown percent) after 8 years under warranty.

It sounds like you'll still have your other gas car so you're set. On the rare occasion where you think it's going to be a problem with the range, you could always switch cars at the start of the day instead of having to meet up later. I'd lean more towards the 40 kWh car unless you think Supercharger access is something you'd want down the road. It's technically possible to upgrade the battery pack years from now (although Tesla says to get the range you want now) but it's unknown if Supercharger access can be added after delivery on the 60 kWh car (if not built in the factory) or added to the 40 kWh car if the battery is upgraded years from now. If you think Supercharger access is something you may want later, the 60 kWh car might give you that flexibility. I'd talk with Tesla in a few months and that should be a little more clear at that point.

Running down to 0 miles when raptors may be out that could be dangerous.

Last edited:
My fiancee still has her ICE Civic. I drive to Charlotte NC (~250 miles) 2-4 times a year. I drive to Florence SC (~320miles) 1 time per year. I can always trade for her car. My dad has 3 vehicles, all ICE, all for just himself. I can always trade with him also, as he only lives 12 miles away.

My secret hope is my fiancee really likes the Model S. And when Bluestar comes out I give her the Model S, and I get a 400 mile mid-sized car. The thing that scares me the most about the Model S is how big it is. And tire cost. I blow through tires. Maybe I will have to break down and stick with 'all-season' tires and not get summer sport tires for the S.

I am using 112 miles as my "don't have to think about it" range.

What problems do you anticipate charging with 80A when your hose has 150A service? Concurrent use of AC, electric stove, space heating, or water boiler?
As a stop gap, you still can add some photovoltaic array. It should produce quite a few amps at times you need your AC.

What problems do you anticipate charging with 80A when your hose has 150A service? Concurrent use of AC, electric stove, space heating, or water boiler?
As a stop gap, you still can add some photovoltaic array. It should produce quite a few amps at times you need your AC.

Mostly AC concurrently with charging the car. I don't think I can handle the startup current of my AC compressor while charging a car at 80A with my baseload of computers and lights.

Mostly AC concurrently with charging the car. I don't think I can handle the startup current of my AC compressor while charging a car at 80A with my baseload of computers and lights.
You should consider getting a TED or similar to monitor household usage. You might be surprised at how much power you use. How big is your AC unit - how big of a circuit breaker is it on? Any other high power electrical items like water heaters or stoves/ovens?

I think you'd still be ok but an electrician could tell you better. You don't have to charge at 80A too. Could always drop it to 60 or something similar and still be better than 40A. I think you'd be fine with the 40A though and the 40 kWh car. You have plenty of gas options for backup the 6 times per year you need it.

Tire cost on the 19" wheels shouldn't be horrible so if that's something you are thinking about, definitely go with the 19" wheels (aero preferably).

The thing that scares me the most about the Model S is how big it is. And tire cost.

I hear you. I haven't driven a big car for many years now--since the early '70s. And it's 20 inches longer and a lot wider than the Prius. I generally go through tires pretty fast too, but that's more because I like to try new ones and so the old ones come off a bit earlier than most people remove them. Still, there should be some 19" tires that work well. Maybe Nokian or Yokohama will have some (LRR tires) by the time I'm done with the OE set.

I originally planned on 40KW and and now considering 60KW and I plan on buying the car outright.

Same here. Originally thought the 40 was the car for me, but the more I think about it, the more I *want* to take the Model S on road trips. It has more space. It saves on gas. It's just plain cooler. (Our other car is a 04 Acura TSX)

The strategy of "have a commuter EV for daily use and rent/take the gasser for road trips" is a fine one, but I'd prefer to take the S if I can. Besides, I don't LOVE the Leaf, iMiev, <insert 100 mile range EV here>. Like many have said, the bigger packs are luxuries and not really investment decisions, but then again this is a luxury car (probably our first and only). So, we are going to go for the (middle range) gusto. Would love to go all the way up to 85 (congrats, GG), but I think 60 is enough of a stretch for now.

If you have a frequent trip that is not covered by the 40 kWh pack but you can make on the 60 kWh (either one way and recharge or there and back) then it's more than a luxury. It could, possibly, allow you to get rid of one gas car in the family saving you running costs and insurance on that gas car. If it's your only car in the family and you'll still have longer trips on occasion then it is a luxury.