Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL for those with Tinted Windows in their Model 3

Does your tint cause an issue with your auto-dimming mirrors?

• I noticed no change in my auto-dimming mirrors after getting them tinted

• After tint was applied, the auto-dimming mirrors get darker, but it's not an issue

• After tint was applied, my mirrors darken enough to hinder visibility

• I have no tint or no Model 3 but I would like to see the results

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is big difference between "zero issues" and "I couldn't tell the difference". I'm surprised by the number of people voting "I couldn't tell the difference". I voted that it hinders visibility.

I installed Suntek CIR 20 (~24% VLT) on the sides and CIR 30 (~34% VLT) on the rear. At night, the side mirrors auto dim. The combination of tint + dimmed side mirrors make it nearly impossible to see details other than headlights.

That said, I'm glad I got the tint and I sometimes wish I got darker. I almost never use the side mirrors to see details. The only time I do is when backing into parking spots and looking at the lines or other obstacles. In those situations the auto-dimming isn't kicking in so visibility is fine.

There is big difference between "zero issues" and "I couldn't tell the difference". I'm surprised by the number of people voting "I couldn't tell the difference". I voted that it hinders visibility.

I installed Suntek CIR 20 (~24% VLT) on the sides and CIR 30 (~34% VLT) on the rear. At night, the side mirrors auto dim. The combination of tint + dimmed side mirrors make it nearly impossible to see details other than headlights.

That said, I'm glad I got the tint and I sometimes wish I got darker. I almost never use the side mirrors to see details. The only time I do is when backing into parking spots and looking at the lines or other obstacles. In those situations the auto-dimming isn't kicking in so visibility is fine.

Really appreciate your input! I agree there's a big difference, which is why I worded the first response as "I noticed no change". I've been surprised at the # of people who report no issues as well, given the frequency of reports I've run into on various forums. I'm not getting mine installed until the end of the month, but I wonder if there are tests I can do to see how much the auto-dimming changes...

I noticed you're also in California, have you always tinted your cars? Ever gotten a ticket of any kind? (car looks great btw)

Thanks! Yes I'm in Los Angeles. I'm 32 and have been driving since I was 17. I've had 3 cars in my life, 04 Civic, 2010 Accord Couple EXL, and now the model 3. My other two cars, both had tint and they were much darker than what I have now on my 3...I had limo tint all the way around except for the 2 front windows. In the 15 years I've been driving, I only received one ticket for my tint, which was I believe almost 10 years while driving my civic. And that was only because the cop did me a solid and only wrote me up for the tint, instead of speeding. I don't know what the cost is now, but I remember only paying around $20-30 since tint is "fix-it" ticket. With my current tint, i've driven next to a lot of cops and at no point have they even bothered to look at my car. And that's with me still not having my plates on yet. I think as long as you don't go limo tint in the front, you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: redscott
I noticed you're also in California, have you always tinted your cars? Ever gotten a ticket of any kind? (car looks great btw)
I feel like every second car in LA has technically illegal tinting. The cops don’t care. I see people running red lights etc in front of the cops and they bother pulling them over so I’d be very surprised if someone got pulled over just because of tinting. I certainly haven’t had any issues.

Follow up now that the poll is closed.
Total votes: 61
52 (85.2%) didn't notice any change in the auto-dimming mirrors pre and post tint
9 (14.7%) Noticed the auto-dimming mirrors getting darker after tinting. Almost 1 in 7! Of those 9
  • 3 (4.9%) thought it was still safe
  • 6 (9.8%) thought it hindered visibility
Pie chart without the "show me the votes" option:

Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 11.11.13 PM.png

I've decided to forge ahead with my own tint installation, I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Reactions: Dre78
So having driven my car for about a week with Tint with probably 70% of the miles at night, I'd have to say it doesn't really impact it. TBH, the stock auto-dimming feature is far worse than the tint itself. My wife's 2017 MB C300 has the same auto-dimming feature and dims it just as way too much (i wouldn't be surprised if its from the same supplier). Even before I had the tint, the mirrors were pretty much black + headlights.

• Informative
Reactions: Dre78