Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: For those with Zero degradation, what level do you set your charge limit?

For those with Zero degradation, what level do you set your charge limit?

• I regularly charge, anywhere up to 80% (ie 70% or 75% or 80%)

Votes: 28 39.4%
  • I regularly charge, between 81% and 89%

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I regularly charge 90% and up.

Votes: 25 35.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KenC

Sep 4, 2018
Maine
After months of a few people a day posting reports of battery degradation, some minor, some major; we've gotten a smattering of comments from people posting about zero degradation. Rather than always trying to understand why people have been suffering degradation or BMS error, I was thinking maybe we should try to understand why some people suffer no battery degradation. Is there any pattern?

Before adding more complexity like asking about supercharging %age and whether people have charged to 100% or not, I thought the first cut would be just to find out if the routine charge limit has any pattern.

Also let's say zero degradation is a car that typically shows rated range within 1% of spec, so for a LR-AWD, that'd be usually between 307 to 313 miles.

I have a Model X with 9300 miles. Just charged to 100% today with 325.4 mi range out of 325 mi. I generally charge to 70% except for trips.
If I can reach my destination without SC then I charge to whatever is necessary to get there. I want to save my 300 SCs for longer trips as much as possible. Today I charged to 100% to go 295 miles. Arrived with 23 miles left. For longer trips I charge to whatever is necessary to get to SC stop. I have used 23 SC stops so far.
I plug in every night.

I charge to 90% every day. Drive around 80 miles round trip for my commute. Plug in every night. Rarely supercharge (only a couple times a year). Still showing 324 miles at 100%. 35k miles.

I think my commute puts my daily battery drain amount right in the sweet spot.

Reactions: Dubes
I believe that the reality is not that some are and some aren't having degradation, people just think that they are having degradation when the reality is that they haven't allowed the batteries to equalize and/or the max to reset or that a new software version has been released that changes the numbers that are being reported.

It's part of the classic range anxiety. If the pot doesn't boil in exactly 9.38 minutes, then something is terribly wrong!!!!!

Like Fred, I have the SR+ and charge to 90%. When complete it shows either 215 mi or 216 mi. The car has only 2600 miles on it since April, but since I am recently retired and no longer riding commuter trains to work, I'll be putting more miles on it.

90% Charged at close to 10,000 miles reading 215-216 since 30 March 19 SR+ HW2.5

066BF16B-DB7E-4487-8959-851F83241040.jpeg

After 31 answers, it's a dead-heat. 14 people charge regularly <80%, and 14 people charge regularly to 90%+. No pattern discernible, except those people are lucky!

Anyone think of anything to ask these lucky 31 people? Miles driven? DOB? Efficiency?

After 31 answers, it's a dead-heat. 14 people charge regularly <80%, and 14 people charge regularly to 90%+. No pattern discernible, except those people are lucky!

Anyone think of anything to ask these lucky 31 people? Miles driven? DOB? Efficiency?

@KenC, I might ask something like daily usage range vs % apparent degradation (shown on display @ 90% SOC or something).
So, something like this:
Usage 90+ -> 70, < 5% deg.
Usage 90+ -> 70, 5%-10% deg.
Usage 90+ -> 70, >10% deg.
Usage 90+ -> 30, < 5% deg.
Usage 90+ -> 30, 5%-10% deg.
Usage 90+ -> 30, >10% deg.
Usage 80 -> 60, < 5% deg.
Usage 80 -> 60, 5%-10% deg.
Usage 80 -> 60, >10% deg.
Usage 70 -> 30, < 5% deg.
Usage 70 -> 30, 5%-10% deg.
Usage 70 -> 30, >10% deg.

Granted, I only have about 1 kilomile of distance on the odometer of my LR AWD, but for what it's worth, I've had no appreciable degradation at all:

upload_2019-10-9_6-26-59.png

Green is projected range, yellow is total mileage; blue lines are charge events. It does seem that the car's projected range takes a (small) hit when charging, but it recovers that over time, with the projected range getting up to approximately 312 miles.

I have only gotten the state of charge near what I would call "low" once, around 30%. I typically charge to 80%, but occasionally to 85%. I have supercharged to 90% once, just to see how long it would take.

The vast bulk of my charging is on a 6-20 circuit providing my car 16 amperes at 209V, or a 5-20 circuit providing 16 amperes at 109V, with an occasional trip to a supercharger.

Reactions: KenC
Granted, I only have about 1 kilomile of distance on the odometer of my LR AWD, but for what it's worth, I've had no appreciable degradation at all:

View attachment 464198

Green is projected range, yellow is total mileage; blue lines are charge events. It does seem that the car's projected range takes a (small) hit when charging, but it recovers that over time, with the projected range getting up to approximately 312 miles.

I have only gotten the state of charge near what I would call "low" once, around 30%. I typically charge to 80%, but occasionally to 85%. I have supercharged to 90% once, just to see how long it would take.

The vast bulk of my charging is on a 6-20 circuit providing my car 16 amperes at 209V, or a 5-20 circuit providing 16 amperes at 109V, with an occasional trip to a supercharger.
Looks like a grafana graph, so how are you calculating projected range? It is much less noisy then any calculations I have come up.

Looks like a grafana graph, so how are you calculating projected range? It is much less noisy then any calculations I have come up.
Looks like simple rational math. Car's projected rated range in ratio against state of charge, extrapolated to rated range at 100% SoC:

adriankumpf/teslamate

Code:
SELECT
   $__timeGroup(date, '6h') AS time,
   convert_km(sum([[preferred_range]]_battery_range_km) / sum(battery_level) * 100, '$length_unit') AS \"Projected Range [$length_unit]\"
 FROM
   positions
 WHERE
   $__timeFilter(date) and
   car_id = $car_id
GROUP BY
ORDER BY
   1,2  DESC;

Last edited:
I believe that the reality is not that some are and some aren't having degradation, people just think that they are having degradation when the reality is that they haven't allowed the batteries to equalize and/or the max to reset or that a new software version has been released that changes the numbers that are being reported.

It's part of the classic range anxiety. If the pot doesn't boil in exactly 9.38 minutes, then something is terribly wrong!!!!!
How does one “allow the batteries to equalize and/or the max to reset”?