TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
  1. TMC is currently READ ONLY.
    Click here for more info.

Poll: Frequent black screen at startup?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Larry Hutchinson, Oct 12, 2018.

?

Frequent black screen at startup?

1. Yes and I have v8 and no apps

5.5%
  2. No and I have v8 and no apps

8.3%
  3. Yes and I have v9 and no apps

42.0%
  4. No and I have v9 and no apps

37.0%
  5. It did in v8 but not now in v9

2.2%
  6. Other

5.0%
  1. Larry Hutchinson

Note that there are many different kinds of black screen issues. Please respond only for those matching this description:

Upon getting into the car, the screen is black for about 25 seconds followed by the T for a second or two and then the normal screern. Lte connection takes a further few minutes.

By "no apps," i mean anyting that might keep the car awake such as TeslaFi.

I have done a lot of searching and have found quite a few samples but also a lot of "not for me" and no resolutions.

In my trials last night and early this morning it appeared to happen ever other time. I wait 10 or more minutes between tries. I then did a break press, two button full system reboot and now it has been happening every time.

2. gambit48

gambit48 Member

I dunno about frequent, but I get it periodically. Mostly when it's been in deep sleep for more than a day, but it has happened a few times when the car was just driven a couple of hours ago.

Bizarrely, the car still works sometimes even when the screen is black. I can flick the stalk to R or D and just start heading out. Screen eventually turns on while I'm driving. Since I can drive, it doesn't overly bother me.

3. Larry Hutchinson

68 views and 11 votes. Some of those non votes are non owners, some those who use apps, some who do not have the issue but didn’t bother to vote.

So maybe a third in the no category as a wag. So a fair percentage bot not tiny or huge. Hard to imagine how this can be.

4. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

Many energy optimizing s/w variables at play including learning your usage behavoir, settings of your power saving features etc.
    I voted other because it has done this in v7, v8 and v9. I have no other apps. Nothing unusual to me.

5. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

Voted No w/V9, however it was also No w/V8.

6. Larry Hutchinson

Decided to make an appointment for service. Unfortunately, it is weeks away.

I do appear to have a work-around. After the car has been sitting for 10 minutes, I use my phone app to attempt to wake it. It will then be in a normal state for at least several hours and opening the door will present the normal screen.

7. AJWiz007

AJWiz007 New Member

I have the same exact issue. I have had it since version 36.2 and now still on 39.7. Pretty frequent. Please post what you learn after your service appointment

8. James M

James M Member

This is really my only pet peeve with the car now. I hate having to wait 30+ seconds for the car to be "ready" (I know it can be driven without the screen, but I'm not comfortable backing out of my garage without it), and then waiting another 2 minutes or so for LTE to connect.

I can't figure out what causes the car to enter deep sleep mode. It happens sometime while the car is plugged in, and other times when I've been away from the car for less than an hour.

In my typically daily commute mode, I would much prefer to be able to disable "deep sleep" in exchange for larger "vampire drain" while idle.

9. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

(other)
    I've had it happen a single time with V8 (no apps). I was already in the car, my wife opened the passenger door and sat got in, the screen when black for a few seconds then came back. No idea why.

10. gtmotor

gtmotor Member

Wow, this sounds really annoying. My car has rebooted the screen once in my 9300 miles with it upon getting in... Other than that the screen is fully ready to go as soon as I hop in.

11. Larry Hutchinson

I think I will cancel my appointment. I read on another forum where engineering said the problem is due to a bug in firmware and they are working to get the black screen delay down to 10 seconds and then finally to squash the bug entirely. So hopefully it will get fixed at some point. It appears the bug causes a software panic when waking from a deep sleep.

If the firmware mentioned is in the classical meaning where it is contained in a ROM, a computer board replacement might fix it. My car was manufactured in July. Probably should do a poll including that somehow.

• Informative x 1
  12. BenR

BenR Member

I've never had the issue described in OP but I have this^^^ issue most times I get in the car. Screen is fine when getting in but whenever the last door closes the screen goes black just for a moment, then comes back. It used to be worse; it would go black for like 5 seconds, or not come back on at all until I pressed the brake, and it would do it EVERY time. I had service look at it and they flashed some kind of patch and it helped a lot, but it still goes black for a second, probably 80% of the time. Really doesn't affect the operation of the car, just mildly annoying.

• Like x 1
  13. EVnut

EVnut DARΞLL

My service advisor says that the problem stems from the car too often going immediately into "deep sleep." For me it can happen after literally two minutes of driving the car. I would *welcome* this behavior if the car intelligently went to deep sleep after a day or two of non-use. In fact, I'd love the option to immediately put the car into deep sleep when I know it is being left for an extended period. But this is just annoying.

Yeah, it does *overly* bother me still. I rely on that backup camera to exit my garage safely, as the rear glass is too high to see what's directly behind me. The backup camera display doesn't work while booting, the music doesn't work while booting, my LTE doesn't work while booting, I can't begin navigation while booting... and my seat doesn't change to my programmed positions while booting. So eventually, The the memory position DOES finally attempt, usually something remains positioned wrong. So I have to flick between my wife's setting any my setting to get it back into sync. It's a bit more than an annoyance for me. But yeah, at least the car can drive. Mostly (sometimes it won't go into gear either, however).

Is there some "setting of your power saving features" that I'm missing?

Because we all have the same software, why do so many cars work correctly, while ours do not? My service manager is going to replace my computer on Thursday after running some deeper diagnostics than were run previously when my car was in for this same issue. If this were only software, we'd all be experiencing the problem, I'd think.

I have three close friends near me with 3's.

1. Built and delivered in June. RWD (duh). 6,000 miles. Never seen the blank screen
    2. Built and delivered in December 2017. RWD (duh #2). 8,000 miles. Had the blank screen regularly, six frustrating service visits, finally replaced computer in Feb. Been working great ever since.
    3. Built and delivered in September (the same day mine was delivered). AWD. 2,000 miles. Has never seen the blank screen
    4. My car. Built in Aug, Delivered in September. AWD. 2500 miles. Blank screen at least once per day EVERY day since taking delivery in September. One service visit with the response "we know about the problem and will eventually fix it with software." Then I contacted the service manager who fixed friend #2's car. And he's having me bring it in for the same fix.

• Helpful x 1
  14. EVnut

EVnut DARΞLL

Oh, and I answered "Yes, and I have V9, no apps."
    And in reality it has happened every day since September delivery, and no software update (two to date) has changed the behavior even a tiny bit.

15. gasmiser1

gasmiser1 Member

V8 and completely locked in black screen mode. No rebooting helped. Disconnected 12volt battery for 10 minutes without success. Posted on another thread called: “Blank Screen ??”
    Car is at Tesla service for last 5 days (including weekend) so no answers yet.
    (Previously, I Had Black screen and frozen screen issues about 6 times and but could reboot)

Serveral software updates. 12,000+ miles, owned since 3/30/18, early VIn 0092xx.

16. Candleflame

Candleflame Active Member

people have been asking for an airport mode/energy conserving mode for Model S for years but it never happened. no idea why.

17. gasmiser1

gasmiser1 Member

Update on my frozen black screen issue. Model 3 is ready for pick-up now. They installed a brand new computer and tablet screen.

Hopefully, it’s a complete fix.

18. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Well-Known Member

It's happened to me a couple times.

Once with V8, and once (or maybe more) with V9.

With V9 the only way I could fix it was getting out of the car, letting it lock, and then getting back in it. But, even then I still had issues where the turn signal sound wasn't working, and there wasn't anything for music (streaming didn't work, FM radio didn't work). Once I got to work I did the full systems reboot (hitting the brake with the two buttons), and it seemed fine after that.

19. Larry Hutchinson

I was hoping for a sw update fix but no luck.

Now I have to decide when the annoyance of the startups exceeds the annoyance of trying to convince service to replace the computer board along with the likely several hour long trips to service....

20. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

Which version is your 3 running now?