Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Frequent black screen at startup?

Frequent black screen at startup?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Note that there are many different kinds of black screen issues. Please respond only for those matching this description:

Upon getting into the car, the screen is black for about 25 seconds followed by the T for a second or two and then the normal screern. Lte connection takes a further few minutes.

By "no apps," i mean anyting that might keep the car awake such as TeslaFi.

I have done a lot of searching and have found quite a few samples but also a lot of "not for me" and no resolutions.

In my trials last night and early this morning it appeared to happen ever other time. I wait 10 or more minutes between tries. I then did a break press, two button full system reboot and now it has been happening every time.

I dunno about frequent, but I get it periodically. Mostly when it's been in deep sleep for more than a day, but it has happened a few times when the car was just driven a couple of hours ago.

Bizarrely, the car still works sometimes even when the screen is black. I can flick the stalk to R or D and just start heading out. Screen eventually turns on while I'm driving. Since I can drive, it doesn't overly bother me.

Many energy optimizing s/w variables at play including learning your usage behavoir, settings of your power saving features etc.
I voted other because it has done this in v7, v8 and v9. I have no other apps. Nothing unusual to me.

Decided to make an appointment for service. Unfortunately, it is weeks away.

I do appear to have a work-around. After the car has been sitting for 10 minutes, I use my phone app to attempt to wake it. It will then be in a normal state for at least several hours and opening the door will present the normal screen.

This is really my only pet peeve with the car now. I hate having to wait 30+ seconds for the car to be "ready" (I know it can be driven without the screen, but I'm not comfortable backing out of my garage without it), and then waiting another 2 minutes or so for LTE to connect.

I can't figure out what causes the car to enter deep sleep mode. It happens sometime while the car is plugged in, and other times when I've been away from the car for less than an hour.

In my typically daily commute mode, I would much prefer to be able to disable "deep sleep" in exchange for larger "vampire drain" while idle.

I think I will cancel my appointment. I read on another forum where engineering said the problem is due to a bug in firmware and they are working to get the black screen delay down to 10 seconds and then finally to squash the bug entirely. So hopefully it will get fixed at some point. It appears the bug causes a software panic when waking from a deep sleep.

If the firmware mentioned is in the classical meaning where it is contained in a ROM, a computer board replacement might fix it. My car was manufactured in July. Probably should do a poll including that somehow.

• Informative
Reactions: TEG
(other)
I've had it happen a single time with V8 (no apps). I was already in the car, my wife opened the passenger door and sat got in, the screen when black for a few seconds then came back. No idea why.

I've never had the issue described in OP but I have this^^^ issue most times I get in the car. Screen is fine when getting in but whenever the last door closes the screen goes black just for a moment, then comes back. It used to be worse; it would go black for like 5 seconds, or not come back on at all until I pressed the brake, and it would do it EVERY time. I had service look at it and they flashed some kind of patch and it helped a lot, but it still goes black for a second, probably 80% of the time. Really doesn't affect the operation of the car, just mildly annoying.

Reactions: JeffK
I dunno about frequent, but I get it periodically. Mostly when it's been in deep sleep for more than a day, but it has happened a few times when the car was just driven a couple of hours ago.
My service advisor says that the problem stems from the car too often going immediately into "deep sleep." For me it can happen after literally two minutes of driving the car. I would *welcome* this behavior if the car intelligently went to deep sleep after a day or two of non-use. In fact, I'd love the option to immediately put the car into deep sleep when I know it is being left for an extended period. But this is just annoying.

Bizarrely, the car still works sometimes even when the screen is black. I can flick the stalk to R or D and just start heading out. Screen eventually turns on while I'm driving. Since I can drive, it doesn't overly bother me.
Yeah, it does *overly* bother me still. I rely on that backup camera to exit my garage safely, as the rear glass is too high to see what's directly behind me. The backup camera display doesn't work while booting, the music doesn't work while booting, my LTE doesn't work while booting, I can't begin navigation while booting... and my seat doesn't change to my programmed positions while booting. So eventually, The the memory position DOES finally attempt, usually something remains positioned wrong. So I have to flick between my wife's setting any my setting to get it back into sync. It's a bit more than an annoyance for me. But yeah, at least the car can drive. Mostly (sometimes it won't go into gear either, however).

Many energy optimizing s/w variables at play including learning your usage behavior, settings of your power saving features etc.
Is there some "setting of your power saving features" that I'm missing?

I think I will cancel my appointment. I read on another forum where engineering said the problem is due to a bug in firmware and they are working to get the black screen delay down to 10 seconds and then finally to squash the bug entirely. So hopefully it will get fixed at some point. It appears the bug causes a software panic when waking from a deep sleep.
Because we all have the same software, why do so many cars work correctly, while ours do not? My service manager is going to replace my computer on Thursday after running some deeper diagnostics than were run previously when my car was in for this same issue. If this were only software, we'd all be experiencing the problem, I'd think.

If the firmware mentioned is in the classical meaning where it is contained in a ROM, a computer board replacement might fix it. My car was manufactured in July. Probably should do a poll including that somehow.
I have three close friends near me with 3's.

1. Built and delivered in June. RWD (duh). 6,000 miles. Never seen the blank screen
  2. Built and delivered in December 2017. RWD (duh #2). 8,000 miles. Had the blank screen regularly, six frustrating service visits, finally replaced computer in Feb. Been working great ever since.
  3. Built and delivered in September (the same day mine was delivered). AWD. 2,000 miles. Has never seen the blank screen
  4. My car. Built in Aug, Delivered in September. AWD. 2500 miles. Blank screen at least once per day EVERY day since taking delivery in September. One service visit with the response "we know about the problem and will eventually fix it with software." Then I contacted the service manager who fixed friend #2's car. And he's having me bring it in for the same fix.

• Helpful
Reactions: gambit48
V8 and completely locked in black screen mode. No rebooting helped. Disconnected 12volt battery for 10 minutes without success. Posted on another thread called: “Blank Screen ??”
Car is at Tesla service for last 5 days (including weekend) so no answers yet.
(Previously, I Had Black screen and frozen screen issues about 6 times and but could reboot)

Serveral software updates. 12,000+ miles, owned since 3/30/18, early VIn 0092xx.

It's happened to me a couple times.

Once with V8, and once (or maybe more) with V9.

With V9 the only way I could fix it was getting out of the car, letting it lock, and then getting back in it. But, even then I still had issues where the turn signal sound wasn't working, and there wasn't anything for music (streaming didn't work, FM radio didn't work). Once I got to work I did the full systems reboot (hitting the brake with the two buttons), and it seemed fine after that.