Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Front License Plate

Front LicensePlate

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tons of discussions on this, but my answer is to look at your avatar photo and go with that. that's exactly how my front looks. :p

what people will say in this thread:

1. Eff the po po - imma go bare and not use front plate
2. some cats who live out of state will say they use it
3. some cali cats will say they have driven for 40 years in cali with no plate
4. fans of vendors who make front plate solutions will post "here's what i use"
5. some will say they only pull their plate out on their dash when they park in certain sections of the city
6. thread will derail after page 2

the poll will show most will say no. ;)

31 states (California included) require them by law. It is a "fix it" ticket and not a moving violation. You can get pulled over for this OR get it while parked, I've read different fines but it seems to be less than $50 for first offense, but (for me at least), having to take my car in to prove it has been fixed is the bigger PITA. Enforcement was stepped in some parts of California (mainly urban areas) in 2019, but I don't know if they are still being so heavy handed about it.

Personally, it's not worth the risk of the hassle. YMMV

I don’t like a front plate, but solved the problem by getting a vinyl plate from licenseplatewrap.com. I think it looks great, and works with the lines of the Model 3. Definitely the way to go if your state allows it.

Otherwise, would have done one of the removable options and left it off most of the time.

7EF66919-3353-4349-8F41-A159C09A83DF.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
tons of discussions on this, but my answer is to look at your avatar photo and go with that. that's exactly how my front looks. :p

what people will say in this thread:

1. Eff the po po - imma go bare and not use front plate
2. some cats who live out of state will say they use it
3. some cali cats will say they have driven for 40 years in cali with no plate
4. fans of vendors who make front plate solutions will post "here's what i use"
5. some will say they only pull their plate out on their dash when they park in certain sections of the city
6. thread will derail after page 2

the poll will show most will say no. ;)

Pretty spot on. Though 5 doesn't actually do anything, it still is a violation, doesn't matter where you put it other than the front bumper.

7. If you park in the street, a front license might protect your bumper and the front top lip from other cars.

Note: I have a big 1" bumper cover on top of my front license plate, but this was not sufficient enough
to protect my car from a truck who left the two bolt marks of its license plate on the top of my front bumper lip.... really eyesore.

tesla-model-3-front-drivers-side-wheel-at-profile.webp

I've not had a front license plate on my last vehicle which was a RED Mini JCW for 5 years and I currently do not have a front plate on my blue model 3...so far I've gotten only one speeding ticket (lol) yet no ticket for my lack of a front license plate.

We're personally anti front plate Tesla owners in California. In our county the front plate law is not enforced at all. But when you go to places like San Francisco or Los Angeles they are all over you. A couple years ago we were in the city and got a ticket for not having a front plate. That's when we searched the market for a easy removeable front license plate holder that left nothing behind, no modifications to the car, and would not damage our vehicle if hit. That didn't exist, so we made it ourselves. Talk about solution out of necessity.