TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Poll: Front License Plate

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by timmy818, Aug 1, 2020 at 11:34 AM.

?

Front LicensePlate

1. Yes

27.3%
  2. No

72.7%
  1. timmy818

timmy818 Member

To do or not to do, I've seen a lot of Model 3s in California that don't have the front license plate.

• Like x 1
  2. lUtriaNt

lUtriaNt Member

tons of discussions on this, but my answer is to look at your avatar photo and go with that. that's exactly how my front looks. :p

what people will say in this thread:

1. Eff the po po - imma go bare and not use front plate
    2. some cats who live out of state will say they use it
    3. some cali cats will say they have driven for 40 years in cali with no plate
    4. fans of vendors who make front plate solutions will post "here's what i use"
    5. some will say they only pull their plate out on their dash when they park in certain sections of the city
    6. thread will derail after page 2

the poll will show most will say no. ;)

• Like x 1
  3. Kevy Baby

Kevy Baby Dis-Member

31 states (California included) require them by law. It is a "fix it" ticket and not a moving violation. You can get pulled over for this OR get it while parked, I've read different fines but it seems to be less than $50 for first offense, but (for me at least), having to take my car in to prove it has been fixed is the bigger PITA. Enforcement was stepped in some parts of California (mainly urban areas) in 2019, but I don't know if they are still being so heavy handed about it.

Personally, it's not worth the risk of the hassle. YMMV

• Like x 2
  4. Kevy Baby

Kevy Baby Dis-Member

Change some of the specifics and that is pretty much the progression of most threads

That
    might be the case on this board (with enthusiasts) but the vast majority of cars have them on.

5. f308gt4

f308gt4 Member

I don’t like a front plate, but solved the problem by getting a vinyl plate from licenseplatewrap.com. I think it looks great, and works with the lines of the Model 3. Definitely the way to go if your state allows it.

Otherwise, would have done one of the removable options and left it off most of the time.

7EF66919-3353-4349-8F41-A159C09A83DF.jpeg

• Love x 1
  6. nomis_nehc

nomis_nehc Member

Pretty spot on. Though 5 doesn't actually do anything, it still is a violation, doesn't matter where you put it other than the front bumper.

7. Watts_Up

Watts_Up Active Member

7. If you park in the street, a front license might protect your bumper and the front top lip from other cars.

Note: I have a big 1" bumper cover on top of my front license plate, but this was not sufficient enough
    to protect my car from a truck who left the two bolt marks of its license plate on the top of my front bumper lip.... really eyesore.

[​IMG]