Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: FSD Camera Retrofit Status

For owners needing camera retrofit, what is your current FSD beta status?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok thx! I'm assuming the FSD beta will not be installed until cameras are retrofitted. I haven't got the invite yet for the camera upgrades and will see if I can call the SC and request.
Good luck and let us know. Several here (including myself) have tried that route and failed. Although, I think one guy was successful. There's been a tiny smattering of camera upgrades in 3 months. I'm thinking this is going to take well over a year. We'll see.

Reactions: GenY
WoW! This means no FSD beta until cameras are replaced?
Not for the majority of MS/MX cars with a build date prior to 09/2017. Tesla had pretty much deprecated the non-Plaid MS/MX line, including newly built cars. I.e. there is no technical reason why the blind spot monitoring could not work with the turn signal. It works if you pull it up when driving. Same for live view.

IMHO, we'll never see non-beta FSD. Elon has our money and refuses to talk to us. We've become a liability but even if so, he just doesn't care. It will be interesting to watch when (not "if") this happens to current M3/MY vehicles. Moles don't change their spots. History will repeat itself.

Not for the majority of MS/MX cars with a build date prior to 09/2017. Tesla had pretty much deprecated the non-Plaid MS/MX line, including newly built cars. I.e. there is no technical reason why the blind spot monitoring could not work with the turn signal. It works if you pull it up when driving. Same for live view.

IMHO, we'll never see non-beta FSD. Elon has our money and refuses to talk to us. We've become a liability but even if so, he just doesn't care. It will be interesting to watch when (not "if") this happens to current M3/MY vehicles. Moles don't change their spots. History will repeat itself.
Not to overlay another legal view about this, but it seems anyone who bought FSD and never got the upgraded hardware and then sold or turned the car back in post-lease have a good argument to get at least a partial refund for FSD. FSD functionality plans and claims made prior to 2019 were, um, overly optimistic.

I was able to schedule an appointment for the camera upgrade and scheduled for early Feb. The invoice doesn't have all the cameras listed yet but the below.

LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER (LH) (1034344-00-B)
BACKUP CAMERA (SEMCO)(1061269-00C)

But the invoice listed to replace both repeaters, B-Pillers and triple cam as well but parts are not listed. I'm assuming they will eventually put the other parts on the invoice soon.

Reactions: GenY
I was able to schedule an appointment for the camera upgrade and scheduled for early Feb. The invoice doesn't have all the cameras listed yet but the below.

LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER (LH) (1034344-00-B)
BACKUP CAMERA (SEMCO)(1061269-00C)

But the invoice listed to replace both repeaters, B-Pillers and triple cam as well but parts are not listed. I'm assuming they will eventually put the other parts on the invoice soon.
Update: My mobile appointment has been changed to SC for 1st week of Feb and now I see all correct parts on the invoice. I'm hoping everything will go as planned.

INLINE TRIPLE CAM, S/X/3(1120520-00-B)
LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER CAMERA, LH(1642010-00-A)
LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER CAMERA, RH(1642011-00-A)
RWK,APPLIQUE,MX,B PLR,RH ASSY(1092312-98-F)
RWK,APPLIQUE,MX,B PLR,LH ASSY(1092311-98-F)

Last edited:
So my build date was 8-26-17, think I need camera upgrades? Already paid for MCU2 upgrade and the vehicle had AP3 when I bought it.
I'm not sure since it is right on the cut-off month. Have you checked this Camera Upgrade Rollout status sheet? It has some data including the build dates and may give some idea. The other options is to call the SC and check may be.

Reactions: backinthelab
Didn’t get an invite but cameras were replaced last week at local service center. Hoping I get pushed FSD soon with 10.9 rolling out 🤞
How did you make that happen?

I haven't received the invite but my car was in service for over a week for unrelated issues. I asked them to do the camera upgrade and they said I would receive an invite and then would have to come back.

I haven't received the invite but my car was in service for over a week for unrelated issues. I asked them to do the camera upgrade and they said I would receive an invite and then would have to come back.

I explained in depth how it managed to happen for me in the early adopters fsd thread. Basically I think it was luck and having the mobile appointment team switch my appointment to a service center appointment because I asked to add something to the service visit that they can’t do.

I'm not sure since it is right on the cut-off month. Have you checked this Camera Upgrade Rollout status sheet? It has some data including the build dates and may give some idea. The other options is to call the SC and check may be.
Checked the status sheet and there are two vehicles listed with August 2017 dates so I can't draw a conclusion from that, unfortunately. I sent a message to the SC and they replied with something very confusing:

"Good morning, if you do not have cameras on the front fenders, you will need to do the camera upgrade for that FSD. That upgrade is not available at this time and Tesla has not given a date on availability."

What?

Checked the status sheet and there are two vehicles listed with August 2017 dates so I can't draw a conclusion from that, unfortunately. I sent a message to the SC and they replied with something very confusing:

"Good morning, if you do not have cameras on the front fenders, you will need to do the camera upgrade for that FSD. That upgrade is not available at this time and Tesla has not given a date on availability."

What?
Wow, information that’s completely wrong. AP1 cars that don’t have fender cameras will never be able to get FSD.

Wow, information that’s completely wrong. AP1 cars that don’t have fender cameras will never be able to get FSD.
Thing is, I have a 2017 with AP3 and the FSD computer, so they didn't even bother to look up my vehicle. (insert facepalm emoji here) I asked because my manufacture date is August 26th so I still don't know if I'm waiting on an camera upgrade invite or waiting on the FSD firmware.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Thing is, I have a 2017 with AP3 and the FSD computer, so they didn't even bother to look up my vehicle. (insert facepalm emoji here) I asked because my manufacture date is August 26th so I still don't know if I'm waiting on an camera upgrade invite or waiting on the FSD firmware.
You should be able to tell based on your camera images in TeslaCam. If you're looking at a video clip of a sunny day with a blue sky it's very apparent. If you have RCCC cameras the sky will appear gray, especially in contrast to the rear camera that is full color. If you have RCCB cameras the sky will appear blue, but not as brilliant in color as the rear camera.

0D7EE065-880A-4EB4-8A72-4D04AC539983.jpeg

Could they make this any more confusing? “You do not have the cameras….that will need to be replaced.”

I spoke with Customer Service yesterday and they said they need to be upgraded. Whoever is chatting with me at the SC just replied that they don't need an upgrade. Who's word do I take as truth?

Update, called the SC and they looked up my camera type, he confirmed that I have RCCB cams and no need to have them updated. I guess my vehicle manufacture date must have been just on the right side of factory install date!

Last edited: