Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL - Glass Roof

Thoughts on Glass roof

• Great Idea

Votes: 163 73.8%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 16 7.2%
  • Jury is still out

Votes: 42 19.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove a Model S with a glass roof here in Phoenix in the middle of the summer and was shocked that the heat of the sun was not noticeable. That being said, I've noticed that Tesla has put sunscreens in their shop.

Went to an EV event in Scottsdale and a Model X owner had a sunscreen above the driver's head that he said Tesla sent to him...don't know if he paid for it or not.

Seem counterproductive to have a glass roof and then cover it up with sunscreens.

So what do you think?

I think aesthetic wise it’s a great design and am getting that option. However; the only concern I have is durability and expense of replacement if it gets damaged. I’m assuming it’s as susceptible to chips/cracks like a windshield. Or is it similar to gorilla glass like on some smartphones?

Reactions: PRSIST
I think aesthetic wise it’s a great design and am getting that option. However; the only concern I have is durability and expense of replacement if it gets damaged. I’m assuming it’s as susceptible to chips/cracks like a windshield. Or is it similar to gorilla glass like on some smartphones?

I might be wrong, but I would not assume a glass panel on the roof is more expensive to repair than a dent in a steel roof (depending on the severity of the dent). And, when all is said and done, your car will be as good as new, whereas a dent will always be a dent.

Also, your roof is *definitely* not susceptible to the same kind of impact cracks and chips as a windshield. it's even less prone to damage from debris than the top of your hood, due to the angle.

Reactions: Quick2Judge
My concern is UV/skin exposure on top of a bald head. Does anyone know of a 100% UV A/B blocking tint film to add, as (without knowing Tesla specs), I assume the glass is not up to that level?
I can't remember off the top of my head (no pun intended), but the roof has enough tint that you will not need to tint your roof, and your head will not tan.

UPDATE: Looking around the inter tubes, seems the Model S roof is 100% UV blocking. I can't find a link from Tesla, but I'm sure somebody can.

Also, your roof is *definitely* not susceptible to the same kind of impact cracks and chips as a windshield. it's even less prone to damage from debris than the top of your hood, due to the angle.

I can confirm this, as a sample size of one. My S has the glass roof, and while my windshield got pummelled with rocks during our severe winter last year, and had to be replaced when one crater turned into a starburst, my glass roof is untouched and still delightful. Love it!

IMG_1575.jpg

Cold is more of a problem than heat with the glass roofs. The roof rejects almost all UV (which is admittedly only a small fraction of the sun's energy); almost all near-IR (which is a large minority of the sun's energy); and 90% of visible energy. There's very little energy coming in through it.

I wish I could get just the glass roof rather than all of PUP. Not that I don't like the rest, but there's a lot in there I'd never pay for on my own, and some things I'd actually rather not get (like power seating). My budget is anything but unlimited.