Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL - Glass Roof

Thoughts on Glass roof

• Great Idea

Votes: 163 73.8%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 16 7.2%
  • Jury is still out

Votes: 42 19.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The poll was to see who likes or dislikes the glass roof idea. The second part of my post was about covering up that great glass roof with sunscreens. I already knew that in Arizona, the glass roof works great and does not pose a heat problem to the vehicle occupants. So why then cover up the roof with a sunscreen that Tesla is selling?? Aesthetics??

The poll was to see who likes or dislikes the glass roof idea. The second part of my post was about covering up that great glass roof with sunscreens. I already knew that in Arizona, the glass roof works great and does not pose a heat problem to the vehicle occupants. So why then cover up the roof with a sunscreen that Tesla is selling?? Aesthetics??

There may be those who are not as concerned about heat, per se, as solar radiation and melanoma, versus a steel roof car. I know I want zero sunlight, but also want the premium interior. Depending on what sunscreen for the sunroof/headliner or tint I can find, I may resort to priming/painting/vinyl wrapping the glass if I can't eliminate 100% of radiation. My doc doesn't allow me outdoors without a hat anymore.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
Overall, I like it. Personally, I think it looks nice to have a glass roof over a plain metal one. I tint my cars with high end tint to deal with heat anyways. One of my cars has a panoramic all glass roof. It was the only option we cared about in a $10,000 option package. Still think it was worth it.

That said, having a sunshade is nice. Just cuz I like the glass roof doesn't mean I want to see the sun all the time (even if it is tinted). I'd prefer a solid shade, but I'll take what I can get. Just give me options. Some times I want to see the sky, some times I don't.

Reactions: PRSIST
There may be those who are not as concerned about heat, per se, as solar radiation and melanoma, versus a steel roof car. I know I want zero sunlight, but also want the premium interior. Depending on what sunscreen for the sunroof/headliner or tint I can find, I may resort to priming/painting/vinyl wrapping the glass if I can't eliminate 100% of radiation. My doc doesn't allow me outdoors without a hat anymore.

Depending on what your hat is made out of, the glass may be better at shielding UV than the hat.

• Informative
Reactions: gregd
I think I'll be fine as long as elephants don't fly.
Short of flying elephants or coconuts falling on the roof; I actually had a nice size rock make a decent dent on my roof some years ago. It was thrown up from another vehicle and as my luck would have it just happened to hit my roof on a brand new car I had just purchased a month prior. Hence my concern over chips, cracks, etc.

I actually had a nice size rock make a decent dent on my roof some years ago. It was thrown up from another vehicle and as my luck would have it just happened to hit my roof on a brand new car I had just purchased a month prior. Hence my concern over chips, cracks, etc.
Anything is a possibility, but it is not likely a common occurrence. IF damage occurs to your glass roof, you will have it repaired or replaced just like you would with a metal roof. Nothing in life is risk free, but I would surmise that rock damage to a glass roof is one of the lowest risk possibilities. It is also my understanding that if you don't want a glass roof, you would order the non-PUP interior.

Short of flying elephants or coconuts falling on the roof; I actually had a nice size rock make a decent dent on my roof some years ago. It was thrown up from another vehicle and as my luck would have it just happened to hit my roof on a brand new car I had just purchased a month prior. Hence my concern over chips, cracks, etc.
The problem in eastern Colorado, and much of the Great Plains, is hail damage. A neighbor was unlucky enough to be driving her Tesla in the Denver area during a major hailstorm and it was pretty trashed. I"d guess that it is easier to replace the broken glass than pull dents from metal but I don't know which would be cheaper.

That's fantastic news! You then, have lower odds of it happening to your glass roof than most of the rest of us!

The problem in eastern Colorado, and much of the Great Plains, is hail damage. A neighbor was unlucky enough to be driving her Tesla in the Denver area during a major hailstorm and it was pretty trashed. I"d guess that it is easier to replace the broken glass than pull dents from metal but I don't know which would be cheaper.

Hence....Car Insurance. Metal or glass, car insurance would cover it, minus any deductible.

our model s all-glass roof is pretty fantastic, i prefer it over solid top and sunroof by a lot.

it's not too noticeable unless it's really sunny out - just lets a little bit of extra light into the cabin. i don't think tesla would have put this into production if the uv shielding wasn't sufficient.

if someone wants zero light like you'd get with a solid roof a dark tint should take care of it.

I would have paid extra for this so I am glad it because part of the base model. My kids really love it. It's a real treat for folks riding in the back- not as much for folks riding up front, but I'll glance up while using auto-drive. It is so darkly tinted, you cannot see through it from the top.

I did sit inside a new Model S that was sitting out in the 95°F sunlight for awhile. The bad thing is that the glass was very hot to the touch and I could feel the radiating heat coming from the glass onto my head. The air conditioner would have to work a little bit harder but still, the radiating heat would be always be felt from above. I have seen those screens they're selling but they're not completely blocking out the sun light. Not good if you're trying to rest your eyes while at a supercharging station and the sun is right above you.

I think light is more of a problem in Phoenix than the heat. You can definitely feel some of the heat coming through but it is pretty minimal even with our enormous Model X windshield. It might however just be too bright for you (no, sunglasses do not help much when light come in from weird angles).
We drive with the sunshade mounted all throughout the summer and only just now took it out (this might have been too soon). We also, in our case, had the top windows of the Falcon Doors additionally tinted.
Additional tinting can always be an option for you but the sunshades are pretty fantastic as you can remove them after the summer.

• Informative
I test drove a Model S with a glass roof here in Phoenix in the middle of the summer and was shocked that the heat of the sun was not noticeable. That being said, I've noticed that Tesla has put sunscreens in their shop.

Went to an EV event in Scottsdale and a Model X owner had a sunscreen above the driver's head that he said Tesla sent to him...don't know if he paid for it or not.

Seem counterproductive to have a glass roof and then cover it up with sunscreens.

So what do you think?
There is a lot of misinformation about the glass roof. There is very little Solar energy transmitted although a high quality film applied inside does make a difference for the better. When under way there is no problem at all and the roof gives more headroom and a nice airy feeling. If you park it in the sun for a while it is an entirely different story. We he Glass heats up quickly and while it does not allow infra red radiation through it, it will transmit its own in large quantities when hot until the AC has cooled it down. Leave the car in the sun for half an our and the first five or ten minutes when you get in it it is like sitting under a heat lamp. Film does NOT help here as it is applied to the inside and the whole thing gets red hot.

There is a lot of misinformation about the glass roof. There is very little Solar energy transmitted although a high quality film applied inside does make a difference for the better. When under way there is no problem at all and the roof gives more headroom and a nice airy feeling. If you park it in the sun for a while it is an entirely different story. We he Glass heats up quickly and while it does not allow infra red radiation through it, it will transmit its own in large quantities when hot until the AC has cooled it down. Leave the car in the sun for half an our and the first five or ten minutes when you get in it it is like sitting under a heat lamp. Film does NOT help here as it is applied to the inside and the whole thing gets red hot.

I’m increasingly leaning to vinyl wrap, white or mirror finish, on the glass panel over the front seats for a white car.