Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Has AP2 18.10.4 surpassed AP1 in terms of performance?

Has AP2 18.10.4 surpassed AP1 in terms of performance?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For all you SF Bay Area drivers, as a point of reference I just made it back from Santa Cruz to Mountain View on Highway 17, almost entirely on AP. I certainly can't say it was smooth, but this is the first time something like this was even remotely feasible. No question in my mind that AP2 surpassed AP1 with this latest update, it's not even close anymore.

Maybe now we can start the time on Elon's famous "3-6 month" quote? Supposedly they were just too busy with Model 3 until now...

Hi,

Just cosmectic with this latest 2018.10.4 :

- we still don't distinguish cars/trucs/motos : all are displayed are cars.
- we still don't see adjacent lines (on motorway) vehicles in the behing the wheel screen.

Apart of this, I can't compare AP1/AP2 as I don't have anymore any AP1 to compare on the same road, but for sure it has improved a lot since previous releases.

Kris.

Reactions: GSP
I felt ap2 was ahead of ap1 some time ago but it lacked refinement. With this latest update I think it gained more capability and more refinement as well. If I ever get time I'll do a video of the entrance to a tunnel which consistently tries to kill me in ap1 and works perfectly in ap2.

My car is a 2015 S P90D on AP1 and my wife's is a 2017 S 75D on AP2.

For me ap2 to has moved way beyond ap1 and in terms of potential I don't think ap1 is going to get any better but ap2 could still improve massively.

With this update I am very optimistic about what's coming next.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: GSP and Electroman
The biggest issue with AP2 after summer 2017 was undulations, crests, slope down to slope up etc. If your highway do not have those but are flat, AP2 vs AP1 would be a draw I guess until 2018.10.4
With the new rebuild 2018.10.4, this have changed - I guess now we need more challenging roads to notice the difference, which could be in favour of AP2.
That said, 2018.10.4 is 16 months late (should have been 2016.52) AND counting before the already paid for, double priced, EAP is delivered. But happy they finally made some progress. I feel they should apologize for the delay though. Honesty and integrity etc...

Drove my S85D AP1 on my daily 100 mike commute for almost 60k miles. Have 36k miles on my S100D AP2 doing the same daily 100 mile commute. 3 expressway interchanges, HOV & Pay-Per use lanes (free for plugin cars), average speed of 75mph.

2018.10.4 has 100% leapfrogged AP1. I have never felt as comfortable with AP2 as I did I with AP1 until this release.

On a side note I am finding myself not holding the wheel quite as tight as before now and the nag/nanny is terrible. (Or has always been and I didn’t let it loose enough to find out). Every 60 seconds on the dot nagging:

C42DF771-78AA-4EBE-A7A1-3B411D72FAF8.png

Memory is the worst thing to use when making comparisons.

Here's a video of AP1 vs. AP2 in the same road,same speed, same weather.
This is non-bias, independently verifiable evidence and AP1 clearly wins and this was just 7 days ago.

Here's Part 2 with same time of day

That is a nice video and I'm sure it took a lot of time to film and edit, but I don't think it addresses the question in the title from the OP. This video is 6.1 on AP2. There has been a HUGE improvement in the latest release of 2018.10.4 released this last week. On a 400 mile drive I took in the last 2 days, in my opinion it is far superior to any other version on either platform. I noticed almost no ping-ponging in between the lines, faster decision making, and it works on some roads where it did not work in any previous versions. I was surprised that it even worked on many onramps and merged smoothly. Then I noticed it slows down for some of those curvy roads whereas just the most recent version of 6.1 was not good at all in many of these things I just mentioned. Even 6.1 would sometimes get confused and try to take an exit off the freeway.

For a test, I went out on a fairly deserted undivided highway up here in Sparks when there was a fair amount of snow on the lines whereas the lines would appear sometimes and sometimes not for short stretches. Amazingly, the X did a really good job of staying in the lane with this update although I even had trouble figuring out where the lines were in some places.

There area more improvement I noticed. It's a good example that even those the release notes don't say anything about these improvements, the massively rewrite of code is really paying off in this version. I bet if the same person where to do comparison video of 10.4 with older AP, you would see a much better result.

It literally never stops ping ponging.

Well, look at that video again in the beginning, and you will see that the road has some slight differences that are not common, but do exist sometimes. When driving slow, there is a subtle shift to the right side of the line and then back to the center. That is caused by the fact that AP sees that occasional dashed white line on the left side. You'll notice when the car starts passing that line, it stays in the middle of that land with the dashed line on the left and the solid white line on the right. After it passes the dashed line, it drifts back toward the middle.

I guarantee you that if there is no bumper to bumper traffic and the driver goes at normal freeway speed, there will be no ping-ponging.

• Informative
Reactions: KrenGrl and DerekH
Interesting that one did not reduce the speed and overran the yellow lines.

Right on the comments section I see two other videos on a similar curve, where the car reduces its speed and takes it without any issues.

Interesting. This is not what we see at all with 2018.10.4 on some very winding mountain roads. this new version performs flawlessly for us, so I am puzzled.

Good discussion so far, but since I don't own both cars I don't want to throw my 2 cents in just yet...I will lean on others who have both cars or made videos testing both cars and you guys posted a lot of the recent comparisons already, but here's one I didn't see where the guy talks about HE thinks AP2 is better than AP1 in some cases but not yet at parity based on visualization.

From what I have read:

AP2 better (now perfect?) over crest
AP2 better in tight turn, including slowing down in good time
AP2 shows "AP-Blue" sooner - e.g. after manually turning at junction, or after poor road markings
AP2 appears faster to change lanes (on turn-signal). My AP1 has definitely got better (subjective: in recent release), but can still be slow at times. Is AP2 ever "slow at times" now?
AP2 appears "smooth" at speed transition in bumper-to-bumper, in most cases. (Maybe using Chill" would help even more?, not tried that in AP1)

AP2 doesn't show other traffic (vehicles types Truck/Bike, other lanes). So I don't know if/how well it can actually tell the difference, but I also don't know: does that matter?

The main thing I see in several YouTubes (including Bjorn's above) is that the display of vehicle-in-front jumps from centre to side of lane (and back again), when clearly the vehicle itself is maintaining centre-of-lane. Is this important? e.g. does it imply that AP2 is not accurately detecting its position? and why the sudden sideways-jump, rather than a gradual change?