Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Has your drive unit failed?

Has your drive unit failed, and at how may miles (first failures only)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was really into buying an MS, but now seeing how very unreliable it is ...
Imagine an 100k ICE car where you'd have to change your engine every 10 k miles :p That would be frustrating, right ?
Just make a reliable DU already, one that stays in ghood shape the whole life of the car ! That is how a DU should work ! If you can't make it, go home !

Imagine an 100k ICE car where you'd have to change your engine every 10 k miles :p That would be frustrating, right ?
Just make a reliable DU already, one that stays in ghood shape the whole life of the car ! That is how a DU should work ! If you can't make it, go home !

But it's not replacing your engine every 10k miles. And that's where the press is taking this a bit too far. They're equating a drive unit change (something that takes the SC only a few hours) with an engine change in an ICE (which takes multiple days). Tesla can swap the drive units quickly, get the customer back on the road with a minor hiccup, then repair & refurb the drive unit for use elsewhere.

In addition, we need to keep in mind that in an ICE, minor noises like the "electronic cricket" noises the drive unit can make between 5-20 kW power consumption would be completely masked and hidden by the engine, and no dealer or manufacturer would replace it. You'd simply hear "as intended" and that would be that. This is why you're seeing a debate about whether an electronic noise is considered a "failure" or not.

They do need to get a handle on the issues that are occurring, and a service visit is a service visit, so yes - Tesla needs to figure it out and fix it permanently. But I hesitate to call it a failure and equate it to an ICE engine change, and the impact to the customer is minimized by Tesla's service model - leaps and bounds above what you get elsewhere.

I voted 1 for no over 50k, but have had total of 3 - P85 sold at 50k no replacement, still have S60 with 55k no replacement, and a P85D with 15k no replacement. On the P85D when I first got it they were going to replace DU when it quit, but they figured out it was software issue with front/rear drive sync.

Agreed. If the audio system started to make a loud hum, but I could still hear the music, I would consider that a failure.

Good point.

- - - Updated - - -

Swapping a DU is not anywhere as complicated or labor intensive as changing out an engine. Not in the slightest.

- - - Updated - - -

Since Elon has now claimed the drive unit issue has been fixed, then I'm more interested in the most recent delivered car to have a drive unit failure. Has anyone had a du failure in a car delivered in the past 6 months?

Elon downplayed DU issues almost a year ago. When did he ever say anything about this issue being fixed?