Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Have you changed your mind?

When it is time to configure and order will you:

• Order with same options planned a month ago.

Votes: 86 45.7%
  • Order with different options from what was been planned.

Votes: 41 21.8%
  • Delay configuration.

Votes: 47 25.0%
  • Cancel reservation.

Votes: 14 7.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla says order now or delay, and everyone delays, Tesla shuts down production and files for bankruptcy. Does defer make more sense?

If Tesla asked people to commit now without releasing any additional information about what they'd be delivering, I think they'd be in serious trouble. My point is that they will release a lot more information before asking anyone to commit to a configuration. So by definition anyone who hasn't already cancelled their pre-order is delaying until that information is available.

Reactions: KJD
I don't see an option for my choice: "wait until all the details are out."

I was originally planning on ordering dual motors, but I want it for the expected range and handling/performance more than any real need (other than maybe avoiding putting on chains if I take it to Tahoe in the winter, although my family usually takes our plug-in-hybrid CUV for those trips).

Elon's announcement that rear motor will be produced first has me re-thinking this. I'll want to see the official specs on the price for dual motors, and any increased range.

If the cost is relatively high (closer to the $5k on the S), or the range gain is minimal, I may just go with the single, rear motor. Being in California, I would probably have a greater chance of a larger federal tax rebate, and that would factor into the decision as well.

I don't see an option for my choice: "wait until all the details are out."
That's no fun.

I was originally planning on ordering dual motors, but I want it for the expected range and handling/performance more than any real need (other than maybe avoiding putting on chains if I take it to Tahoe in the winter, although my family usually takes our plug-in-hybrid CUV for those trips).

Elon's announcement that rear motor will be produced first has me re-thinking this. I'll want to see the official specs on the price for dual motors, and any increased range.

If the cost is relatively high (closer to the $5k on the S), or the range gain is minimal, I may just go with the single, rear motor. Being in California, I would probably have a greater chance of a larger federal tax rebate, and that would factor into the decision as well.
That won't fit in the space provided.;)

If Tesla asked people to commit now without releasing any additional information about what they'd be delivering, I think they'd be in serious trouble. My point is that they will release a lot more information before asking anyone to commit to a configuration. So by definition anyone who hasn't already cancelled their pre-order is delaying until that information is available.
I agree with everything you just said.

It's a hypothetical question. Did my post accompanying the poll really not make sense? All I'm trying to find out is Elon's video and tweets changed your thinking. Some people have already decided to delay/defer when they are forced to because they want dual motors. Some have already decided to change what they had planned to order so they can move ahead of those who are waiting for said dual motors. And, as I noted:

If you feel that too much is still unknown just select the first option since the latest tweetstorm/video didn't change your plans significantly.

Last edited:
I certainly will not be cancelling and don't understand someone that does. Nothing has changed at this point. Just some hints,clues about the 3. AWD may be available by the time most of us order. I disagree with Elon on the HUD. Drivers DO want info and this will be a "drivers" car. Not a personal taxi, at least for many more years.

Reactions: rlang59
Living in CA and never dealing with snow, I had never planned on a D model to save money. I also didn't care about spending tens of thousands of dollars more for a P version. My MS does 0-60 in 5 seconds, which is more than enough. Tesla has already said the base will have acceleration of under 6 seconds.

I just want the highest battery option, which is now a 75, and will basically get it fully loaded. That'll mean a pano roof, FSDHW, leather/interior upgrade package, etc. Based on the recent news, I'm thinking I'll get it even earlier than expected. I have an early reservation, live in Fremont, and am owner as of August. I have 12.5K in incentives that I don't want to miss out on by deferring my delivery.

Psyched to move up in line a bit! :p I live in Texas, I don't have any real need for AWD. I just want a much better EV than all of the current options (affordable ones, that is -- not current Teslas), with good range and x-country ability. And with Supercharger V3 coming, a larger battery probably won't even be necessary. I just hope that Model 3 will be V3-capable.

Reactions: ssrajputev
I want AWD, so I'm not getting mine until probably mid 2018, so that means no tax credit... I might delay configuration if I feel there is no point to getting the car soon.

But my number one priority is the cost of the options, this is the true deal breaker.

initially kind of bummed about AWD being delayed, but after thinking about it more, this shouldn't be a deal breaker for us or even reason to delay. AWD would be nice, but we've never had an AWD vehicle and have always gotten around just fine in the Pacific Northwest with FWD cars. The weight of the 3 and maybe snow tires (have never used those either, and once made it across Snoqualmie Pass in a '06 Civic in a badddd snow storm) should be fine.

Delaying isn't worth compromising the full tax credit.

Now, Tesla better not delay offering heated seats or we'll definitely have a problem, lol!

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: zenmaster
You need a poll choice for "wait for announcement of full set of features and options before deciding". I say that because so many posts here are from those smugly laughing at disappointments when they "know" there will be something announced that will make it a more compelling car than has been shown so far.

• Disagree
Reactions: 206er
Elon didn't change my mind... I'm not buying a Model S. I'll wait for dual motors and larger battery even if I miss the full tax credit.
Yes, I'm disappointed there's no HUD or center screen, but I wanted the line-of-sight display for autopilot status, not my speed, battery, or turn signal status. Autopilot 2.0 is buggy and I'm not betting my life on it if I can't monitor what the Autopilot is seeing.

You need a poll choice for "wait for announcement of full set of features and options before deciding". I say that because so many posts here are from those smugly laughing at disappointments when they "know" there will be something announced that will make it a more compelling car than has been shown so far.
:D I get your point, but it's just a poll on the internet. Just between you and me, people don't even have to be honest about what they would do. As some have pointed out, no one is making any actual decision any time soon (unless they cancel). I selected delay because I want dual motors (not just AWD) but when the time comes I may decide I don't want to chance missing out on the tax credit, or that they want too much for the upgrade. It's just to see where people's mindset is at the moment.

Last edited:
At this point, I choose to defer if there is no "P" and no "D" until later. In addition to Performance and Dual motors, I want to see what will be available in Design Studio. Last Sept I purchased an inventory S, which didn't have everything I wanted, and I will not purchase a new M3 if I can't get all the options I want. I will continue to enjoy the S and possibly cancel my reservation.