Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Have you changed your mind?

When it is time to configure and order will you:

• Order with same options planned a month ago.

Votes: 86 45.7%
  • Order with different options from what was been planned.

Votes: 41 21.8%
  • Delay configuration.

Votes: 47 25.0%
  • Cancel reservation.

Votes: 14 7.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not on the order list, however, after my Model S was written off earlier this month, I had a brief debate about holding out for a Model 3 instead. I concluded the timeline was unpredictable but certainly too far off and too little information at this time to make a clear decision. Of course, being without a car for an extended time frame made my decision easy - so ordered another Model S. The original plan was to get my wife a Model 3 after a year or so in production, but we'll probably delay that due to my situation by another year. Will re-assess configuration based on what happens over the next 12 months, but the highest priority options are: maximize range, dual motors, autopilot and high amp charger. It's unclear what the issue is over the HUD, as the message from Elon still leaves debate open about other potential options that may have a similar function. Although the center console isn't the best idea in my mind for all primary IP information, it just means it warrants a long test drive prior to any decision. ;)

Am in the minority here, having canceled my reservation yesterday after digesting Elon's Tweet Storm and it's ramifications for me personally. I wanted all the goodies and decided that waiting for another two years was just a bridge too far for me personally. Looks like i'll be picking up a CPO Model S.

Elon's tweets are getting the desired effects -- upselling potential 3 buyers to the S. Genius. May be losing a few to cancellations, to the competition BMW 3 series perhaps if they didn't want/afford the Model S, but if already waiting a year---probably more would be upselling to Model S instead of moving over to the competition

Reactions: TomatoOne
I'm staying with my reservation and planning to lease the 3 at first. There were a couple reasons for this:
1. model 3 is brand new and isn't proven. Leasing means I won't be stuck with it should it have some kind of long term issue and design flaw which is discovered later on.
2. By the time the lease is up , around 2020 or so, there'll be plenty more EV choices on the market (BMW, MB, Porsche). I'll decide then if I want to buy a Model 3, or some other brand.
3. The latest tweet storm reinforces this plan. My ideal config was going to be a AWD model 3 with AP2 and other bells and whistles. Now it seems it will be kept simple at start. It makes even less sense to buy from the start. When the lease is up, production should be in full swing, with AWD option, and possibly with other options such as HUD added.

It constantly amazes me how impatient some folks are.
The car was never scheduled to be available at this time and yet we have cancellations based on tweets :)
This is that same as saying hmmm, I know I reserved a BMW 3 series because I wanted a smaller car, but its could be missing some features - so because of that I'm going to get a used BMW 7 series instead.
Chill out people - learn some patience for goodness sake and take facts not speculation.
Or is everyone just planning on spending >40K on a car they haven't sat in or hasn't been reviewed yet?

Reactions: ssrajputev
The thing that confused me is that Elon said before that vehicles with the most options would be produced first (ie, you get all the bells and whistles, your vehicle would be made first). It makes sense because you would want those features to be tested out first before you start shipping cars across the country in case there is a recall. I suppose he could stay true to his original statement but with the exception of Performance and dual motor configurations.

I for one will be waiting it out until a Model 3 P75DL is available! That's assuming there is no P85DL or P95DL.

Reactions: TomatoOne
I'm staying with my reservation and planning to lease the 3 at first. There were a couple reasons for this:
1. model 3 is brand new and isn't proven. Leasing means I won't be stuck with it should it have some kind of long term issue and design flaw which is discovered later on.
2. By the time the lease is up , around 2020 or so, there'll be plenty more EV choices on the market (BMW, MB, Porsche). I'll decide then if I want to buy a Model 3, or some other brand.
3. The latest tweet storm reinforces this plan. My ideal config was going to be a AWD model 3 with AP2 and other bells and whistles. Now it seems it will be kept simple at start. It makes even less sense to buy from the start. When the lease is up, production should be in full swing, with AWD option, and possibly with other options such as HUD added.

It does save upfront payment if that is important. But lease payments will be around $20K. Also you aren't locked in, if you buy, when what you want comes sooner. I live in California and put down my money on day 1. AWD is not an issue to me. I have a S with rear wheel drive and it works fine for me. Those who live in snow areas is a real concern, however. Hopefully there will not be much of delay, if any by the time their turn comes up. My personal decision is wait until it comes out and decide then. I look at my speedometer a lot and am concerned with a speedometer not in my line of view. Hopefully it will be at least as convenient as in the S without having to move my line of sight to the right.

I mainly wanted AWD for the performance really. I don't need to worry about snow as I'm in the SF bay area. But I can deal with a RWD to start. It's at least better than FWD :)
After driving with car with HUD for a couple years, it's hard to go to a car without, let alone without a speedometer right in front of the steering wheel. It's just what we're used to! The screen on the model 3 seems fairly high up in position, so I suppose the speed is just a glance to slightly right. I suppose you might get used to it after a while. What we really need is be able to test drive it. I'm hoping they will offer cars for test drive at least.