Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Have you changed your mind?

When it is time to configure and order will you:

• Order with same options planned a month ago.

Votes: 86 45.7%
  • Order with different options from what was been planned.

Votes: 41 21.8%
  • Delay configuration.

Votes: 47 25.0%
  • Cancel reservation.

Votes: 14 7.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With all of the new "news" this past weekend I was hoping to get a sense of where people's thinking is when it comes to configuring and ordering their Model 3. I know people don't necessarily agree on what was ruled in or ruled out by Elon, but am more interested in how what they believe (or hope) now has affected their upcoming decision. This assumes you will be asked to first configure and then several days later (or more) are asked to either delay, or confirm and place your order.

Assuming the facts you know (or think you know) today do not change before you are asked to configure and then order how would you proceed?

If you feel that too much is still unknown just select the first option since the latest tweetstorm/video didn't change your plans significantly.

I'll probably wait for dual motors. Some of that will depend on exactly when they'll be available and when I can expect to get mine. The tax credit is make or break, but it is a big factor in what other options I'll get .

I'll definitely be waiting at least for awd and maybe performance. I'm not in a big hurry though, as I currently have an S. I'm glad that folks who are looking for lower spec cars will be able to get theirs first.

I agree. I may end up keeping my S longer than I intended. Since I drive my vehicle around town more than on the highway, autonomous driving is a great feature, but will be used occasionally. I still plan to drive my vehicle and want a 2nd monitor or HUD instead of looking at a 15 inch center screen to see how fast I am driving through town or to monitor other features like our S does.

I ended up cancelling my reservation 6 months ago due to other circumstances. I'm now looking at 2019 or even 2020 as a target to get this car. I'm glad for that as it will give Tesla and the overall market time to work out these issues.

I was hoping for dual motors, even in GA I thought it would be nice for a little add range, acceleration, the occasional snow. But I'll probably survive without it and just get some other options instead.

I am also now contemplating leasing one for a few years and then maybe buy one after dual motors and maybe some new features and stuff are added over the next few years. Or maybe by then I can afford a good CPO S or X.

Reactions: Railhawk52
I think that'll be a good time. Kinks worked out, possibly new features that people are clamoring for now (HUD, AP3), and automated driving will likely be much more of a reality. My biggest fear with this car is paying for automation that won't be fully usable until I'm ready to trade it in.

I ended up cancelling my reservation 6 months ago due to other circumstances. I'm now looking at 2019 or even 2020 as a target to get this car. I'm glad for that as it will give Tesla and the overall market time to work out these issues.

• Love
Reactions: tga
Really disappointing that we can't at a MINIMUM get some digital display in that black bar behind the wheel that gives the speed, distance, time, date and a few other illuminated symbols - lights: indicator, etc.
What's the real cost? $50 DVD / bluray players have them?
Elon seems to be targeting the car as an autonomous car you sit back and read the paper in. Or a taxi service - but most people want a drivers car - and want to drive the car!!! People simply won't like the interface - and the person driving the car is usually the one making the purchase decision. They're not wanting to spend $35k on a taxi.
As Electrek editor pointed out - Legislation and driver feeling is a long way behind - might be right for model 5 - NOT model 3.
Once people get wind of this enthusiasm for the car will be eaten away. Mine is.

Unless you're cancelling, isn't everyone going to delay configuration? Nobody knows what is standard equipment or, beyond a few hints, what options will be available. I never had a target configuration because there was never enough information available.

All that said, I may opt to wait out the first six months of production. I dearly love my Model S but there are definitely kinks and quirks that were refined relatively quickly in later production vehicles and we do have an i3 lease that's up in May 2018 as a target timeline. Then again, I may get swept up in the excitement again when our number comes up and more information is available.

I am pretty upset by the news of no AWD at start. I live in CO and drive in the mountains. I have delayed by when I could really use a car by quite a lot. Almost a year. If I though RWD or FWD would get me by, I'd buy a Volt this summer. Still might.

The 3 was either going to be for me if it was much more technologically advanced than the S I currently have, and so far it's not looking to be that way (unless they make some changes to the new S's, which will trickle down to the 3's).

So now it's pretty much guaranteed that if we do buy a 3, it'll be for my wife. She's not happy about no AWD. And she's not happy about no center display (I guess there's still hope for a HUD?).

The only thing that changed since last month is now the chances of us cancelling our reservation at non-zero (they're still very low, but no longer zero).

I don't mind being a guinea pig. Changing plans is ok with me.
Plan was we'd get a fully spec'd 3 (PxxDL+) which is what I want and seemed likely IMO, to be in the first deliveries. My wife really needs a replacement for her LEAF which will be 7 years old in Nov. She was going to get either my S or the 3 whichever she prefers. Now, perhaps we'll be ordering a more basic 3, but also more likely to get the $7500 credit than if we wait. So, it's a good value.
A nice interior, AP and Supercharging are really the only features that she cares about.
Pretty sure she really wants an X though. So, I can see selling the 3 and the S sometime over 2018-2019 in exchange for an X and the fully spec'd 3 for me. Tesla may sell 3x as many cars to us as we'd planned. First world problems.