Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Have you had to have your 12V battery replaced?

Have you had to have your 12V battery replaced?

• No

Votes: 269 49.4%
  • Yes, once

Votes: 213 39.2%
  • Yes, more than once

Votes: 62 11.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the ability to monitor the voltage of my 12V Battery. It is part of the 9500ci radar detector.

photo1232.jpg

After initial startup shown above, the voltage settles while the car is in use on a new batttery to about 13.5 - 13.6 volts. At almost a year old and 10,000 miles the operating voltage runs now 13.8 - 13.9 volts. Just an observation.

I only know that my 12v battery was replaced because I just happen to remember that on the list of items that were ticked off verbally at one of my service appointments... I suspect a lot of the 'No' Responses are really a 'Yes' since the battery was probably swapped during a regular servicing and never caused a problem.

Twice in 3 years. Current battery is said to be a deep cycle design type.

Early cars including the Sigs weren't able to sleep for the first year or so, so the 12V constantly was discharging to run the electronics and then being recharged periodically by the main pack. Very hard on the 12V, and very high vampire losses. Thankfully that issue has been solved, but I suspect that it is best not to turn off sleep mode, or constantly query the car using your phone or computer since that will increase the discharge cycle load on your 12V.

Last edited:
maybe more relevant to ask how meny have got the battery replaced and at same time had non factory equipment in the car (dash cam, radar alarm, mobile eye, upgraded sound, improved light ect.) I see some posts about having modifyed the car.
only those with a non modifyed car should count, as we can never know the reason for the others...

I have had a non modifyed car for a year now (recently sold) but never experinced any faults of any kind nor 12 volt battery fault.

- - - Updated - - -

After initial startup shown above, the voltage settles while the car is in use on a new batttery to about 13.5 - 13.6 volts. At almost a year old and 10,000 miles the operating voltage runs now 13.8 - 13.9 volts. Just an observation.

this makes sence.
ordinary battery charge at aprox 13.6 volt max. but AGM (gel) battery charge at aprox 0,5 volt higher. - the higher volt is due to you having a newer/different 12v battery type..

if Tesla by a mistake identify a cars battery as a new type and therefor set the firmware to charge to 14 volt, it will destroy a "old" type battery rather quicky. It may even be so that Tesla can not manage the charge volt as a per car basis - if so, they are forced to charge any car at 14 volt regadless of wich battery are actually in the car - old batterys will then quickly die.

Proactive replacement by Tesla in my case -- I didn't ask for it, it was just done at annual service. My car was from February 2013, and they replaced *all* the batteries of that vintage. Apparently the initial batteries were a bad batch which couldn't handle the duty cycle expected of them, and Tesla changed its manufacter or specifications or something afterwards.

In many ways I gave my 12V an unusually gentle duty cycle, so I had never had any problems with the 12V. I have continued to have no problems with the 12V.

I have a 2013 S85 (April delivery) and had a technician come by last winter to replace the 12 volt battary. I do not drive the car in winters but on the weekend I lent it out for a promo cause and when it arrived back I noticed that a "replace 12 volt Battery" message was being displayed.

I will be letting Tesla know ASAP, seems unuual for a battery to fail in a year.

wow....They need to get a handle on this or it is going to cost them a lot of money with warranty replacement. I can only imagine how much it costs for Tesla to service a dead 12v 200 miles from the nearest service center. Kind of disheartening that in such a high tech car, there is such a low tech achilles heel.

I'm launching a new custom-build Lithium battery program at my workplace, we are looking into a Lithium replacement for the Model S battery, it should help with these situation. If you are interested to be on our "early adopter list" please email me at [email protected] and I'll get you in line for when we start production, I know Tesla will still replace it if under warranty but if you are either out of your warranty or just want to replace yourself and have the improved reliability; let me know!

Another 12v battery failure today. Zero notice except wife and I stuck in a parking lot after eating a late lunch.. Tesla service amazing once again, but come on Elon. Simply unacceptable for our cars to be completely undriveable because of a Simple 12 v battery that last 3-6 years on every other car. And of course 3 cars pulled up to see what went wrong. Elon, straighten this mess!!