Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Have you had to have your 12V battery replaced?

Have you had to have your 12V battery replaced?

• No

Votes: 269 49.4%
  • Yes, once

Votes: 213 39.2%
  • Yes, more than once

Votes: 62 11.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got the 12v needs servicing message. April 2013 S85 with 46,000 miles, all on the original 12v battery.

Have an appointment tomorrow at the local Service Center for replacement.

(and off topic: I just replaced my original Goodyear Eagle tires, too. 45,000 miles --- the tread wear bars were not exposed yet but I was starting to see some unusual wear on the inner side of the rear tires. If not for the unusual wear, I suspect I could have got another 3,000 - 4,000 miles !!)

2 weeks on now with the 12v battery needs replaced soon warning, still no ETA for when my SC will have a battery available for me. I've asked about it at the end of each week and got the same answer - no ETA on the new 12v battery so still hoping I get one before the car decides one day soon its not going to work anymore.

A bit nervous.

My 2015 85D is coming up on 23 months, and it's consuming about 9 rated miles/day in vampire drain.

Last September I noticed the vampire drain was getting pretty high - about 5 rated miles/day, so I called service to ask about it. The attendant said the car would show me a warning when the battery needs to be replaced, but he didn't seem to want to discuss details.

I have never heard anything about the vampire drain increasing as the 12-V battery peters out.

1. What have any of you experienced?
2. And what level of loss am I looking at when I get the 12V battery warning?

I personally believe that if the 12V is weakening, then the HV battery must make it up by causing more charge cycling of the 12V.... resulting in larger vampire losses.

My 2013 S started experiencing larger than normal vampire losses a year or so ago..... as much as 10 to 11 miles per day. I asked the service center about it and asked them to look at the 12V. At that time, they told me they could find no problems .... and that the 12V checked out "OK."

Fast forward to Jan 2017 .... and I get the "12V battery needs service" alert. The SC replaced the 12V and now my vampire losses have decreased to about 3 - 4 miles per day. Big difference!

• Informative
Reactions: Tomnook
2014 P85+, just over 30k miles, bought as CPO in December. Just got the 12V warning last week. I have an appointment on 2/22.

Too bad proactive replacement is not part of the CPO process. I should have asked before I picked it up.

They told me not to worry, that the battery could last another 2-3 months (which surprised me).

2015 70D, around 15,000km / 14months, just got the 12V battery warning.

I just returned from vacation for 2 weeks, car was plugged in all the time in the garage, though it was cold weather most of the time I was gone, and I noticed vampire loss was a bit higher than on previous times away from the car for >1 wk, so not sure if the warning has been there whole time I was away. I noticed the car did top up on charge for a couple hours almost every night while away.

When it says "replace 12V battery soon" I assume it's ok to continue driving for a couple days until I can get a service appointment, or is there risk of the car suddenly dying?

When it says "replace 12V battery soon" I assume it's ok to continue driving for a couple days until I can get a service appointment, or is there risk of the car suddenly dying?
When I called the service center, the soonest appointment was a little more than 2 weeks away. I specifically asked if it was OK to keep using the car normally, and they assured me I'd be fine. And it was indeed fine. (My car is nearly 3.5 years old with ~41,000 miles, and I just had the battery replaced for the first time a week ago.)

• Informative
Reactions: f-stop

I just had mine replaced about 2 weeks ago.

They told me that when the 12V warning comes up that the car is still good to drive for another 4-6 weeks. I drove mine with the warning displayed for about 10 days until I could get the service appointment to replace it.

My MS is a CPO and she has 46,700 miles and is a 2013 model. First time I got the warning I was able to start the vehicle one other time just to get home. The vehicle went dead after that. Still love my Tesla though as CSR took care of me with an Uber and a rental car