Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Have you had to have your 12V battery replaced?

Have you had to have your 12V battery replaced?

• No

Votes: 269 49.4%
  • Yes, once

Votes: 213 39.2%
  • Yes, more than once

Votes: 62 11.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Twenty-five thousand miles and a late-May 2014 purchase. I am still on the factory battery.

Curiously, about six weeks ago I received an alert that the 12V battery had an issue and that "car might not restart." After the service center pulled my logs and called me back, the manager (who was not a tech) indicated that it looked like the battery heater had gone bad.

My car was hauled to Seaside and the battery heater was replaced. I asked the ranger/technician if they would proactively replace the 12V, and he said that they would test the battery to see if it needed replacing. When I received my car back, the battery was NOT replaced.

Finally, the alert that popped up on the dash is just a generic error message to cover several different failures, including a failed battery heater.

I've just received the 12v power low. Car may power off unexpectedly message as well as Car needs service unable to start message. Called Service who is sending a tow truck tomorrow. Have 90D since 12/17/16 with 1300 miles. Owned a 2013 Model 60 and never had an issue with battery

Original 12v after 64k miles, 30 months (delivered Sept '13) and still counting. The battery was not replaced during any service, I always read everything in the reports.
Power save mode always enabled. No SAS, which I understand is always active. Non-tech, so no auto-locks.
I wonder if this is some kind of record...

Got the "Replace 12V Battery Soon" message on my instrument cluster a couple weeks ago with ~30K miles on the car.

I'm much too far from a service center to consider Ranger service, so I've basically been ignoring the issue. Annoyingly, the car was unable to perform a software update today. I assume this is due to the battery problem?

I must be the unlucky one. Got the "Replace 12V Battery Soon" message only 15 days after picking up my car. Need to wait for another seven weeks before it can be replaced! Ridiculous!
Must be a defective component, either battery or charging (DCDC Converter). Without charging support the 12V Battery drains in minutes while the systems are powered up.

Who is the supplier for the 12v batteries? Anyone taken a look at the markings on the battery or batteries? If you've seen both the original and the replacement, is the replacement the same brand?

The battery model and type has changed multiple times but the supplier hasn't. The original batteries weren't deep discharge rated but the new batteries are. I think both versions were SLA.

Getting ready to take my April 2013 S in for annual service in a few weeks. Still on my original battery. When I had LTE installed last October, I asked them to specifically look at the 12V ---- they reported that they checked it and found no problems. I've never had a 12V warning (yet).

FWIW, I have tech package and air suspension. Always set to energy save; and Always Connected OFF.

So for @BrassGuy: don't think you have the record yet.

I have an October 2013 P85+ and have had the 12V battery replaced twice. Once by a ranger but the last time I had to drive it about 250 km to the service station because the ranger was busy and they didn't want me to keep driving the car until he was free. I am going to start insisting that they replace the 12V battery at each of my yearly services so that I don't end up with these situations at inopportune times.