Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Have you had to have your 12V battery replaced?

Have you had to have your 12V battery replaced?

• No

Votes: 269 49.4%
  • Yes, once

Votes: 213 39.2%
  • Yes, more than once

Votes: 62 11.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is all the information I have on the battery and replacement options. I've documented the replacement process and will be releasing two more videos that have the removal and installation. Please provide some feedback. I haven't made the video public on YouTube yet. Hoping you guys can help me refine it before going live. My goal is to document (record) the different work and maintenance that our cars need. The 12v battery seamed like a good place to start.

Here is all the information I have on the battery and replacement options. I've documented the replacement process and will be releasing two more videos that have the removal and installation. Please provide some feedback. I haven't made the video public on YouTube yet. Hoping you guys can help me refine it before going live. My goal is to document (record) the different work and maintenance that our cars need. The 12v battery seamed like a good place to start.

Can an auto battery manufacturer sell a new battery without any warranty?

Can an auto battery manufacturer sell a new battery without any warranty?

I wasn't given any information with the battery that would suggest this battery has one. There are no markings on the battery either that would imply that. I'm also not sure this battery falls into the same category as a typical automotive battery. It's more of a UPS battery. It does not see the same use as a car battery.

Model S delivered Jul 2016, 1st battery lasted 13 months, 2nd battery lasted 10 months and contrary to what I was told at purchase I now have to pay a ranger fee that is over $550. No after market gear installed. Definitely a design problem, a 12v lead acid battery on a charger can last much longer than this even under load. I've changed my mind on this car and no longer recommend it for people not near a service center, the ranger fee is just too expensive. Only 16,000 miles and I have had 5 service problems, much worse than my Toyotas. It's a shame...for the want of a nail....

Sad to hear you feel that way. The 12v battery does fail more frequently than a typical gas vehicle. I also believe the life of the battery is reduced when the car isn't driven very often. I've published a second video on the removal of the 12v battery. Maybe this will help you perform the work yourself and avoid the ranger fees.

As a community, we really need Tesla to start releasing service information and TSB to owners.