Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Have you received map updates?

Have you received Model S map updates?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
So recent discussion about the Model S on-board maps (the Navigon maps displayed in the dash), and their updates got me to lamenting the fact I have yet to get the notification that mine were updated. Here's the Discussion Thread

This poll has 4 possible answers, in order to quantify not only who has received the updates but also what connectivity likely delivered the update.

The possible responses are:

• Yes: My car is often connected via WiFi
  • No: My car is often connected via WiFi
  • Yes: My car is NOT often connected via WiFi
  • No: My car is NOT often connected via WiFi

In addition, other tidbits such as when you got the maps, did you get the notification screen, did you see corrections/new routes where you drive, etc... would be helpful in the comments.

(Please note this does NOT refer to any changes you see in the center dash console... those are online-Google maps and unrelated to the dash maps being discussed here)

Thanks.

I have the car connected to WiFi every night... and no maps for teh ~8 months since I first saw that thread that folks started seeing the update message. :mad:

I have noted a change in the color scheme of the maps however. I wondered if that was just a general firmware update thing that did so in conjunction with some of the other dash layout changes...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but either I read somewhere, or someone told me that map updates will ONLY come via a wifi connection.
That is correct as far as I know. Also you will get a notification if the map is updated. I suspect you require a very strong wi-fi connection to have a chance of getting the updates.

How would I know if I got a map update? Anyway, I've never seen such a notification in the one year I've had the car. So I guess NO, but not exactly sure. Connected by WiFi every night.

You see this:

2014-11-01 19.24.19_cropped.jpg

I said yes but almost never connected to wifi, and posted here that first and only update was after nearly two years of ownership. map updates! - Page 13

But at the time I was experimenting with connecting to wifi for the first time (actually through a cellular hotspot) and think that accelerated both a software update as well as the map update.

Apparently I'm missing something here. I've only had my S for a week so am still figuring things out but I thought some sort of icon appears saying that an update is available. I figured when I saw that I'd connect to WiFi that night.

But from what I'm reading here it looks like you only know an update is out after it has been installed.

Can someone un-confuse me, please? :)

How would I know if I got a map update? Anyway, I've never seen such a notification in the one year I've had the car. So I guess NO, but not exactly sure. Connected by WiFi every night.

I've had my car for two and a half years and never seen a notification of a map update. I am also never connected by Wi-Fi. my firmware updates are always over the air. at one point there was a firmware update that they also mentioned a map update at the same time. Since my car was in the service center for that firmware update, I asked them if my maps had also been updated. they confirmed that the maps were up to date, but only after that "deer in the headlights" look disappeared from their faces. My guess is that since I don't have Wi-Fi, the map updates are probably pushed to the car while at the SC for other service. hence no notifications.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently I'm missing something here. I've only had my S for a week so am still figuring things out but I thought some sort of icon appears saying that an update is available. I figured when I saw that I'd connect to WiFi that night.

But from what I'm reading here it looks like you only know an update is out after it has been installed.

Can someone un-confuse me, please? :)

PatrickW, they are talking about the Navigon map updates from the navigation system and not the normal Tesla firmware updates that are done. you will see a notification to confirm a normal update but map updates are a different beast.

P85 since January 2013 - always connected by WiFi - and have received only one of the "annual" map updates - and that update was already out-of-date when I received it.

I live in an area with new streets - and have moved into a new house - and because the navigation maps don't have the new streets or my new house (even though the street was finished at least 5 years ago), navigation around my house is always wrong.

It's disappointing that while the Google maps no the touchscreen quickly update to changes - the navigation software can't use the up-to-date maps.

If Tesla is going to use offline maps, they should shift to a more frequent update cycle - and provide a way to display the map version (which is available with other car navigation systems).